Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ryan Moore succeeds by doing it his way

Moecat

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1968893,00.html

Ryan Moore sat slumped on a couch in a New York City apartment as the final round of the PGA Championship played out last August. Seated with his girlfriend, Serena Solomon, Moore was sullen and irritated. He hadn't qualified for the final major championship of 2009, but now, as the duel between Tiger Woods and Y.E. Yang heated up, Moore, an incurious spectator for much of the telecast, let his competitive side show. His eyes locked in on the action, and he started to analyze Tiger's putting stroke.

That's the kind of intensity you would expect from a player who in 2005 became the most celebrated amateur to enter the professional ranks since Woods. The summer after his junior year at UNLV, Moore won the '04 NCAA individual title, along with five other championships, including the U.S. Amateur, the U.S. Public Links Amateur and the Western Amateur. After playing in the '05 U.S. Open, he turned pro and, using sponsors' exemptions, finished among the top 125 on the PGA Tour money list to secure his card, becoming the first golfer to avoid Q school since Woods in '96.

Back then Moore appeared to be a sure thing, someone who, like Woods, would win right out of the gate. But the push to earn a card the hard way took a toll, and the wins didn't come. Says Phil Mickelson, "It's an eye-opener to realize that although you might be the dominant amateur player, to compete against the professionals, the depth of the talent out here makes it very difficult." In other words, welcome to the big leagues, kid.

"Right off the bat he got really close to winning, and maybe everybody expected him to go out and win a little earlier," says two-time Tour winner J.B. Holmes, who while at Kentucky competed against Moore in college. "He might have put too much pressure on himself, but it's not as if he played badly. He kept his card, he got a couple of seconds. He finally got a win in the bag last year at the Wyndham Championship, and I'm sure he'll have more."

Dressed more like a forester or a guy who enjoys hanging out at a skate park, Moore is unlike any other player on Tour. He has been known to wear a tie when he plays. He strolls the course in skateboard-style shoes with spikes. Logos? They don't exactly stand out on his apparel or bag. And he has no professional handlers. Yet, curiously enough, Moore, a 27-year-old from Puyallup, Wash., who can be guarded and aloof, can't stand being alone. "I have somebody with me at all times," he says. "It's almost relieving to me that I have somebody who is fun to hang out with. I can relax and enjoy somebody's company and still go about my business without having to do this or that for others."

Last year at the Wyndham, Moore made news when he became the first Tour pro in recent memory to win while playing without a club or apparel sponsor. "I want to be 100 percent me on the course," he says. "I want to be confident and comfortable, and I don't want to be misleading the public, companies or sponsors. It had everything to do with being 100 percent confident in the clubs I had in my bag, comfortable with the clothing I was wearing. I simply wanted to be me."

"I love the fact that he didn't have any logos and won without them," says comedian George Lopez, who played with Moore in the pro-am last week at the Waste Management Phoenix Open, where Moore finished 14th, six shots behind winner Hunter Mahan. "His bag didn't look like a NASCAR guy's. He was just a guy playing golf."

Fame and bling have never been motivations for Moore, who turned down almost seven figures in endorsement deals last year, according to his dad, Mike. Adds Moore's younger brother, Jason, "Ryan is never going to be upset that the media is covering someone because of the shiny belt they're wearing."

In many ways Moore is a throwback. His approach is reminiscent of a mom-and-pop shop. He alternates caddies every three weeks, switching between Jason and J.D. Rastouski, a friend. And while management companies are grabbing up potential stars and grooming them into corporate poodles before they can buy alcohol, Moore has no interest in such a partnership. "To quote Ryan," Mike says, " 'I'd like my father and (older brother) Jeremy to handle my business because I don't have to wonder about motives. I know they won't want me doing things that aren't good for my career.'"

Two days before the Phoenix Open, Moore was showing some friends around his Scottsdale digs. His house has four bedrooms, just enough to lodge the entire family (parents Mike and Roxane, and Jeremy, 30, Jason, 22, and Alyssa, 20; last week everyone but Jeremy and Alyssa was there). Moore gestured toward the open area by the front door. "That's a workout room because I have nothing else to use it for," he said with an awkward laugh. "This is kind of a big place for only me. Nice, comfortable space for everybody."

Standing around the kitchen table were the owners of Scratch Golf. After playing without an equipment sponsor last year, Moore signed on with the customized clubmaker, which is based in Springfield, Ore. But rather than simply collecting a fee, Moore took an ownership interest in the company — another example of Moore being Moore.

He has come a long way since the painful injury to his left wrist that almost derailed his professional career. "It started hurting when I turned pro, so it wasn't exactly the timing I was hoping for," Moore says. "That was my one chance to get on the PGA Tour right out of college. I simply wasn't going to let a little bit of pain stop me."

Moore played through the pain, figuring it was due to overexertion. He took a break from golf in the winter of 2005, but when he started his rookie year, the pain intensified. Doctors thought it was tendinitis and prescribed rest. At the Honda Classic in March 2006 he happened to be paired with Mark O'Meara, who had suffered from the same affliction. The following week O'Meara invited Moore to his doctor's house. Sure enough, Moore's left hamate bone was fractured. A week later it was removed.

Even after the surgery doctors told Moore that it would be a year or more before he could hit a golf ball without experiencing pain. But they also told him that he couldn't do any more damage to the wrist by playing, and that the only harm might be to his psyche. Faced with the prospect of sitting out an entire season, Moore decided that he could deal with the discomfort.

Eight weeks after the procedure he started competing again, but the pain was excruciating. "It started hurting worse and getting more difficult to play," he says. "The second week back I had to withdraw from a tournament for the first time in my life because the wrist hurt so bad." In an attempt to alleviate the pain, Moore made adjustments to his swing and soon lost confidence in his game. "Being a little young and anxious, I wanted to come back quicker," he says. "In hindsight I should've waited."

But the '06 season was not a complete loss. In July, Moore rebounded with a tie for second at the Buick Championship, had three more top 10s and finished 81st on the money list with more than $1.1 million in 22 starts. He had a runner-up finish in each of the next two seasons, and finally broke through last August at the Wyndham, beating Kevin Stadler in a playoff. For the year Moore had six top 10s and won more than $2.2 million.

Until recently Moore had never taken a lesson from a swing coach. His dad, who ran a driving range while Ryan was growing up, had always taught him to keep things simple, the way golf is meant to be played. Last fall Moore finally brought on a coach, if you can call him that. Troy Denton also happens to be Moore's best friend, and he is amused by his new job title, since Denton has been helping Moore with his swing since 2002, when they were freshmen at UNLV. "We talk golf, how it works; just how we do with life," says Denton.

"Most guys go to big names for their swing methods," says Jason. "Ryan didn't want to change his game for someone else's swing theory so he could become another clone of theirs. He wanted someone like Troy, who knows his swing, has watched him play forever and won't say you need to swing like Tiger."

After Moore won the Wyndham, he turned down a ride on the sponsor's private jet to the following week's event, disproving the conventional wisdom that all young Tour pros crave G5s. Moore, ever modest, instead chose to savor his long-awaited win with Solomon and Rastouski at a quiet steak house in Greensboro. "I'm a creature of comfort," Moore says.

The golf world might as well get used to it.

With the economy going like it is, there's a lot of fear in what the future holds for the Nationwide and the Champions Tour so I think a lot of Tour pros are just getting all the money they can so they don't have to worry about their future.

One thing you see less of today is golfers not wearing a hat or a visor. I wear a visor because the wind messes up my hair too much, but I'd like to see a few more golfers not wear a hat or visor.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I am pretty sure that Mr. Moore has just a bit more than a sponsorship from Scratch.... Congrats to him on his great play, and to all the boys at Scratch Golf.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Great post, I love his humble approach and he seems to be happy on the course. You must still enjoy golf, even as a pro, to be able to give 100%. I wish Tyan all the luck in the world, I think he could start his own clothing trends on tour.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

They are Ecco Street Premiere shoes and are available for retail sale.

Ari,

Would you know if Ryan's shoes are anything like what Freddy Couples is wearing?

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

See this what makes this site great to have a person that is close to the operatons of Mr. Moore available to the forum to make and add comments totally awesome in my m ind thanks Mr. Techner, do you guys offer tours of the factory i am in middle tn and never know if i make make towards your way!!!!!!!

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

Ari,

Would you know if Ryan's shoes are anything like what Freddy Couples is wearing?

Tim

They are exactly the same shoes. Spikeless nonetheless.. And VERY hard to find. Ours are on backorder until mid April. Poop.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I really like watching Ryan... He seems like a player that truly enjoys playing the game... there are a lot of players that I just get the impression that they just want to see the check, but it's obvious that Ryan loves what he does, and I think that will lead him to great success...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Ryan Moore has gotten more press about being Ryan Moore than any other player out there. Brilliant PR move if you ask me.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• 3 months later...

Is anyone else planning on watching "golf in America" tonight on the Golf Channel... it looks like the entire episode is about Ryan Moore and when he chooses not to go with major brand name sponsors... looks like a good episode...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=24585&select=439&select2=14182

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Is anyone else planning on watching "golf in America" tonight on the Golf Channel... it looks like the entire episode is about Ryan Moore and when he chooses not to go with major brand name sponsors... looks like a good episode...

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=24585&select=439&select2=14182

Shoot, I meant to watch it but completely forgot. It should be on On Demand in a few days though.

I missed it, but would really love to see it. He remains one of my favorite golfers next to Dustin Johnson!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

He did it his way after he the Ping endorsement was over with I suppose.

I like Ryan a lot. Glad he went on board with Ari and the gang at Scratch. And I love the fact that he's like a golf forum ho. He has changed clubs more than anyone out there. He's had 4 different sets of Scratch irons with different loft deviations and markings already this season. He's played about 10 putters, it seems. Has played Tour Edge Exotic fairway woods, Adams woods and driver, a Diablo fairway wood, the list goes on and on.

I just wished that Jeff McCoy and the gang at Scratch would get one of their putters in his hands. I still don't understand why they're trying to make him a heel shafted putter though. He's putted better with a center shafted model every time he's switched(Tiger Shark at the Masters). And now that he's got the Machine M2A convertor in a centershaft, I don't know that Jeff would be able to make him a centershafted that'd compare, even as talented as Jeff is.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived