TESTERS WANTED! ×

TaylorMade M5 & M6 Driver Thread

null

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-taylormade-m5-m6-drivers-fairways-hybrids/

Please use this thread for all discussion, impressions and reviews of these clubs

PRESS Release From TaylorMade 

TAKING SPEED TO THE LIMIT, TAYLORMADE GOLF COMPANY BREAKS BOUNDARIES WITH THE UNVEILING OF M5 & M6 METALWOODS

Pushing Engineering Boundaries Like Never Before, Speed Injected Twist Face Takes Performance to Unsurpassed Levels with the Next Generation of M Technology

CARLSBAD, Calif. (January 3, 2019) – TaylorMade Golf, the industry leader in product innovation, technology and performance and makers of the #1 Driver in Golf™ for seventeen consecutive years, announced today the next generation of the globally successful line of its M metalwoods, highlighted by the all-new M5 & M6 drivers, fairways and hybrids.

299832 tm19 m drv dsc09936 v1 4ec0b6 original 1546448065

Speed Injected Twist Face – a new Twist on Twist Face™

In 2018, TaylorMade engineers developed a new path to performance with Twist Face technology. To counteract the high-toe miss (a hook), the driver face was modified open (loft increased & face opened) on the high-toe to help straighten ball flight. Similarly, to counteract the low-heel miss (a slice) the driver face was modified closed to de-loft and close the face in the low heel area. In 2019, TaylorMade has taken Twist Face to the next level of performance with the introduction of Injected Twist Face technology, exposing the false narrative that speed limits have been reached in a metalwood. There are four key features to the design of Speed Injected Twist Face that allow TaylorMade to maximize ballspeed, working in unison to allow every M5 & M6 driver to be precision-tuned with a new, rigorous process to maximize speed to the allowable limit.

1. Ultra-thin Titanium face with redesigned Inverted Cone Technology (ICT)

2. Reengineered, more-flexible Hammerhead 2.0 slot

3. Internal support foam with variable amounts of injected resin

4. A proprietary algorithm to tune each head

299834 tm19 m5 drv 2 v1 79f0c6 original 1546449798

Every M5 & M6 driver head is inspected, measured, and tuned for maximum speed and to ensure conformity; a process truly unmatched in the golf industry. Whereas current drivers have a level of variation from one to the next, TaylorMade’s new engineering and development processes effectively deliver a level of precision that ensures every golfer gets a hot & fast driver head.

The drivers have been designed with a thinner, more flexible face, in fact, initially designed above the legal limit before going through the tuning process, a process in which resin is injected to ensure maximum speed for each head. The injection process utilizes two new tuning ports on the face of the driver (both M5 & M6 models) and a proprietary algorithm to ensure the appropriate amount of resin is used, systematically dialing in the speed for each driver face.

A significant benefit of the thinner, faster face design is that it provides the M5 and M6 drivers with faster off-center COR, effectively increasing forgiveness. The new face design is optimized with up to a 20% reduction in thickness that results in a 66% larger sweetspot in the M5 drivers over the M3 and more than 100% larger than the original M1 in 2015.

299835 tm19 m6 drv face v1 53c317 large 1546449965

M5 & M5 Tour Drivers

Highlighting TaylorMade’s next generation of M metalwood performance are the M5 & M5 Tour drivers, designed from the sole up to be the highest-performing drivers in company history. In addition to Twist Face and Speed Injected technologies, TaylorMade has also incorporated numerous additional technologies to take performance levels to unprecedented levels. Aesthetically, a new vibrant blood orange color and two-tone composite sole make for a visually stunning product that draws immediate attention and has drawn rave reviews from our Tour staff.

Inverted T-Track

TaylorMade first shifted the paradigm of adjustability with the introduction of the original TTrack in the M1 driver. In subsequent models in 2017 & 2018, the sliding weight system evolved into the Y-Track, which allowed for more than 1,000 unique CG configurations, which more than doubled the number attainable in the 2017 M1.

In the M5 & M5 Tour drivers, a new Inverted T-Track makes personalization more intuitive and simplified than ever and allows the golfer more precise CG adjustability with 1770 unique CG configurations; made possible through the allowance of 20 grams (two 10g weights) of movable weight to be utilized for both the benefit of heel to toe control as well as front to back CG adjustment.

299836 tm19 m5 drv trk0 v1 25c0c4 large 1546450207

Though there are 1770 unique settings, the adjustability process has been made incredibly intuitive with high/low & draw/fade settings. The front-to-back CG shift allows the golfer to fine-tune their ball flight through launch angle and backspin. The flat curvature of the front/back track provides the lowest CG possible regardless which weight setting fits the golfer best; this promotes high launch and low spin in any of the M5’s weight configurations.

It also provides a wide range of MOI options—position both weights all the way forward for the lowest CG projection to maximize speed with very low spin, push the weights all the way back into both sections of the Inverted T-Track and maximize MOI and ballspeed protection on mishits. The result gives the golfer up to one degree of launch angle and 600rpm of spin change as well as 25 yards of left-to-right adjustability. For even further personalization, the 2° loft sleeve allows for the adjustment of the loft, lie angle and face angle of the driver; and when combined with the Inverted T-Track, makes the M5 the company’s most customizable driver in company history.

Carbon Composite Crown & Sole

TaylorMade’s composite technology has been in development for more than fifteen years. In the M5 & M6 drivers and fairways, TaylorMade ushers in the 4th consecutive generation of its carbon composite technology. TaylorMade engineers were able to incorporate composite panels that continue to unlock performance with a more efficient mass distribution compared to a traditional metalwood construction.

The use of composite crown and sole panels save weight from the traditional construction of drivers and fairways. This increased discretionary weight is used to create an optimized center of gravity to deliver a hotter trajectory with increased forgiveness. The 2019 M5 & M6 have also increased the overall composite crown footprint by 10%

M5 Tour Driver

Following the success and increased demand for a sub-460 cc version over the last three years, the M5 will again be available in a smaller model – the M5 Tour. Featuring the same Speed Injected technology as the M5 driver, the M5 Tour driver utilizes a compact 435cc head with optimized aerodynamics for improved workability and maximum clubhead speed. While retaining all of the same key technologies as its larger 460cc counterpart, the M5 Tour driver is designed for the player who seeks more workability with less spin and prefers a more compact look at address.

Specifications, Availability & Pricing

Available for preorder on January 18 and at retail on February 1, 2019 at an MSRP of $549.99 USD, the M5 driver will be offered in 9°, 10.5° and 12° lofts. The M5 Tour driver will be available on March 1, 2019 also at an MSRP of $549.99 and is available in 9° and 10.5° lofts. Both the M5 & M5 Tour come equipped with a newly redesigned, streamlined headcover and premium components; either a Mitsubishi CK Tensei Orange 60 and Project X’s new HZRDUS Smoke 70 shaft with numerous additional shaft options available at no additional cost. The stock grip is the MCC Decade grip from Golf Pride.

M6 & M6 D-Type Drivers — Injected for a New Level of Speed Complementing the M5 driver are the M6 and M6 D-Type drivers, which, like the M5, are injected to the maximum legal level of speed. Injected Twist Face delivers a hot, yet accurate performance package in the new M6 driver. When you add optimized CG and MOI through the use of a full carbon crown and sole, the result is a complete driver that delivers on all fronts.
" — Brian Bazzel, Vice President, Product Creation Speed Injected Twist Face Like the M5, each M6 driver head is individually speed tested and injected with tuning resin to optimize COR across the entire face and deliver maximum ball speed and distance. The heel and toe ports in the driver face have allowed TaylorMade to maximize speed across the entire face in every driver created, delivering to each golfer a boundary-pushing fast & hot driver head.

The M6 also features Twist Face technology, which, like last year’s M3 & M4 drivers and this year’s M5 driver, provides more loft in the high toe and less loft in the low-heel to produce more consistent spin where golfers commonly mis-hit. The face of the M6 driver is also slightly taller (1mm) than the M5. Aerodynamic Carbon Sole Design with ‘Inertia Generator’ Featuring the same 6-layer carbon composite crown as the M5 driver, the 2019 M6 drivers adds a complete carbon fiber sole, allowing for significantly more discretionary weight to be used elsewhere in the clubhead – as much as 54% more than its predecessor, the M4. With the weight savings, engineers were able to create a sleek, aerodynamic shape inclusive of the new ‘inertia generator.’ The inertia generator houses the additional discretionary weight extremely low and back for maximum forgiveness while lowering the CG compared to previous models.

The M6 D-Type driver brings the same performance features found in the M6 driver into a draw-biased, easy-to-launch package. TaylorMade engineers have utilized a combination of technologies to create a significant amount of draw bias to help golfers prevent a right miss. The key feature is the optical engineering that creates a high-contrast topline masking configured to make the face angle appear more open than the actual face angle, resulting in the golfer returning a more closed face at impact. In addition, the center of gravity is moved slightly toward the heel to further aid in delivering a square clubface to the golf ball. The combination of these features provides the M6 D-Type driver up to 20 yards more draw bias than the standard M6 driver.

Specifications, Pricing & Availability Available for preorder on January 18 and at retail on February 1, 2019 at an MSRP of $499.99 USD, the M6 and M6 D-Type drivers will be offered in 9°, 10.5° and 12° (RH only) lofts. The M6 driver has two stock shaft options from Fujikura, the high launching Atmos Orange 5 and a lower-launching Atmos Black 6 in S-, R- and A-flexes. The M6 D-Type comes equipped with a Project X EvenFlow Max Carry 45 shaft in 6.0 (S), 5.5 (R) and 5.0 (A). For women, the M6 and M6 D-Type drivers will be offered in 10.5° and 12° lofts (RH only) and come equipped with TaylorMade’s Tuned Performance 45g L flex shaft. The stock men’s grip is the Lamkin Dual Feel grip and the stock ladies grip is the Lamkin Comfort Plus Dual Feel grip. Both drivers are available with numerous additional shaft options at no additional cost.

Looking forward to hear more info on M6 

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM + TWITTER + YOUTUBE

:taylormade-small: 2017 M1 9.5°, Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Blue, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:taylormade-small:2017 M2 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Aldila Rogue 125 Tour Edition, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:nike-small:Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged #4-6 Iron, JPX 919 Tour  #7-PW Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

⭐ Artisan Golf custom 50°, 54°, 54°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

:scotty-small:  Tour Issue Circle T - Tour Rat I

IMG_7611.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The reviews have started, Rick Sheils has thrown out a good one and has been honest as usual 😁😎.

Edited by Nunfa0

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I like the look of them a lot more then previous years, but hard to justify that much for something that will likely be just as good as the original m2... The numbers Rick showed just go further to the point that any gains will be marginal and we (handicap golfers) are likely to get more out of a proper fitting then simply the newest kit. That all being said won't stop most of us from kicking the tires and grabbing one.

For me it's onto the ping g410 watch!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Yep. Marketing tag line, “Everyone gets faster,” dispelled by Rick Shiels, day one of launch. No difference in ball speed over M3/M4. He is part of “everyone”, so the marketing is already finished.
He did hit them longer, but because of higher launch, and lower spin. Looks like they should go back with 17* of launch (Shiels was high 15s), and 1700 spin (he was below 2000 with both), the magic numbers TM posted years back.
Funny, their whole marketing campaign is that we’ll all see faster ball speed, not greater distance. Looks like they were “ballzier” in going this route!

31 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Yep. Marketing tag line, “Everyone gets faster,” dispelled by Rick Shiels, day one of launch. No difference in ball speed over M3/M4. He is part of “everyone”, so the marketing is already finished. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png
He did hit them longer, but because of higher launch, and lower spin. Looks like they should go back with 17* of launch (Shiels was high 15s), and 1700 spin (he was below 2000 with both), the magic numbers TM posted years back.
Funny, their whole marketing campaign is that we’ll all see faster ball speed, not greater distance. Looks like they were “ballzier” in going this route!

I just finished watching Rick's review and got a kick out of this.

The only question I'd raise is - is it faster on off center hits than previous versions? Rick is likely striking the ball fairly close to the sweet spot, so I take his review as "Well struck balls are no different". Part of the "faster" claim they made is the face is thinner all the way across, and the "variable resin" helps bring it back into spec. Let me get in there and compare drivers hit off the toe...😉

As for looks - I'm a fan of the matte finish on the crown, but the bottom looks like a hot mess. 

Edited by Angry Yeti

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

2 minutes ago, Angry Yeti said:

The only question I'd raise is - is it faster on off center hits than previous versions? Rick is likely striking the ball fairly close to the sweet spot, so I take his review as "Well struck balls are no different". Part of the "faster" claim they made is the face is thinner all the way across, and the "variable resin" helps bring it back into spec. Let me get in there and compare drivers hit off the toe...😉

As for looks - I'm a fan of the matte finish on the crown, but the bottom looks like a hot mess. 

This - people are going to get more ballspeed on off center hits.  People will get more yardage on perfectly shots not from an increase in ball speed, but from a more optimized CG which results in higher launch and lower spin (as Rick saw).

The only question I'd raise is - is it faster on off center hits than previous versions? Rick is likely striking the ball fairly close to the sweet spot, so I take his review as "Well struck balls are no different". Part of the "faster" claim they made is the face is thinner all the way across, and the "variable resin" helps bring it back into spec. Let me get in there and compare drivers hit off the toe...

Technically, no, it wouldn’t be faster on off-center hits based on the CT rules previously not measured across the whole face. This, TM adding the resin is bringing those parts of the face back in-line with the rule.
Faster for everyone means what it says to me... Folks can spin it and say, “Oh, well, he hits it perfectly, so he doesn’t count.” Look at Rick’s history of hitting the ball. I’ve watched him for years. He doesn’t hit the center consistently.... He’s all over the place, and even in this test. If marketing says EVERYONE will be faster, and one isn’t, which a good % of folks won’t be because we know faces are at their max, well, then, let’s not spin it to find that one minute spot on the face. The claim is the claim. Let’s stop making excuses.
Isn’t that the point of MGS in the FIRST place?!

18 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Faster for everyone means what it says to me... Folks can spin it and say, “Oh, well, he hits it perfectly, so he doesn’t count.” Look at Rick’s history of hitting the ball. I’ve watched him for years. He doesn’t hit the center consistently.... He’s all over the place, and even in this test. If marketing says EVERYONE will be faster, and one isn’t, which a good % of folks won’t be because we know faces are at their max, well, then, let’s not spin it to find that one minute spot on the face. The claim is the claim. Let’s stop making excuses.
Isn’t that the point of MGS in the FIRST place?!

Fair

I was using their material more than the hashtag or tagline. The tagline is definitely misleading, and incorrect from the single sample I've seen. Reading the rest they never actually say they're faster. They claim more consistently getting as close to the limit as they can and expanding the area of the face that hugs that limit. (I pulled a section out below)

Technically, no, it wouldn’t be faster on off-center hits based on the CT rules previously not measured across the whole face. This, TM adding the resin is bringing those parts of the face back in-line with the rule.

It's not entirely fair to compare clubs made under different testing specifications, but that's all we can do in this case. The follow up question I'd have is - would you rather have the faster club or the club that meets the new criteria? Admittedly, I haven't followed the equipment guideline changes close enough to fully understand what has changed and how that impacts which clubs are still legal.

Every M5 & M6 driver head is inspected, measured, and tuned for maximum speed and to ensure conformity; a process truly unmatched in the golf industry. Whereas current drivers have a level of variation from one to the next, TaylorMade’s new engineering and development processes effectively deliver a level of precision that ensures every golfer gets a hot & fast driver head.

The drivers have been designed with a thinner, more flexible face, in fact, initially designed above the legal limit before going through the tuning process, a process in which resin is injected to ensure maximum speed for each head. The injection process utilizes two new tuning ports on the face of the driver (both M5 & M6 models) and a proprietary algorithm to ensure the appropriate amount of resin is used, systematically dialing in the speed for each driver face.

A significant benefit of the thinner, faster face design is that it provides the M5 and M6 drivers with faster off-center COR, effectively increasing forgiveness. The new face design is optimized with up to a 20% reduction in thickness that results in a 66% larger sweetspot in the M5 drivers over the M3 and more than 100% larger than the original M1 in 2015.

Edited by Angry Yeti

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

At those prices the PXG is looking mighty good.

"Screws in the face raise structural integrity questions. You’re not supposed to hit the M5 and M6 on the screws, but it’s going to happen. Will they hold up or will faces split like they did with slot-faced irons? There are similar concerns with the new crown design as well."  from the MyGolfSpy blog

I like the looks of these drivers better than previous few years. However, if anybody can hit hit those screws, it's me.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Tomorrow me this isn't about ballspeed gains. It's about allowing TaylorMade to get closer to the limit with tighter tolerances, similar to what Cobra accomplishes with face milling on their drivers now. 

The press release talks too much about ballspeed for it not to be about ballspeed. I do think you are correct that it is about tighter tolerances to ensure ballspeed consistencies from head to head.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, Apolloshowl said:

I like the look of them a lot more then previous years, but hard to justify that much for something that will likely be just as good as the original m2... The numbers Rick showed just go further to the point that any gains will be marginal and we (handicap golfers) are likely to get more out of a proper fitting then simply the newest kit. That all being said won't stop most of us from kicking the tires and grabbing one.

For me it's onto the ping g410 watch!

Rick wasn’t exactly striking the sweet spot. His smash was under 1.45.  The new rules for CT and bring neasured across the face are going to limit ball speed gains for most depending on what driver they are coming from. Seeing where he was striking the face vs the m3/4 would be nice to compare the numbers better.

i agree fittings are key especially when using current club to get comparison.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Yep. Marketing tag line, “Everyone gets faster,” dispelled by Rick Shiels, day one of launch. No difference in ball speed over M3/M4. He is part of “everyone”, so the marketing is already finished. emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

As mentioned above rick wasn’t striking it all that well. His smash was low. It’s too early to tell if it’s just marketing or on avg people will see higher ball speeds. To most who get fit I just watch the video the only number(s) that matter is distance. Some will take even just a little extra distance over their current club and others will need to see significant before buyin then there’s the crown that’s going to buy new and shiny regardless.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am likely wrong and I would love for someone who uses and knows more about the systems to chime in, but I remember a txg video where they talked about smash factor and how on trackman 1.5 is the golden number where as with gc quad it was 1.45(?) Or a lower number then the 1.5 we are use to looking for. 

I agree Rick was all over the face and a lot in the heal of the club. I wonder if he'll do another one similar to last year showing twist face. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

IMG_7612.jpg
Love that guy!

2 minutes ago, PMookie said:

IMG_7612.jpg
Love that guy! emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

I take it you know he's talking about the road..........but using it as a play against TM?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The press release talks too much about ballspeed for it not to be about ballspeed. I do think you are correct that it is about tighter tolerances to ensure ballspeed consistencies from head to head.

Agreed.  It is the case of the R&D coming up with a legit technology, but the marketing department skewing the perception of what it actually does. 

Surprising to me was he got 160.9 ballspeed out of the Wilson Cortex at 111mph club speed and only 158.3 on the TM w/ the same swing speed.  The Cortex was 2.6mph faster off the face (on average, assuming multiple face impact locations).  He still hit the TM a little further but due to launch and spin and not the ballspeed that TM claims would increase.

My bag is a revolving door!

Wish I had something techy to add, here's a doodle.  Cant wait to hit all the new stuff. 

20190107_141028.jpg

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a M6 today!! 

It was for our Superintendent, but I ordered it 😎

The best thing is he tried my Fujikura Pro 2.0 in my JGR and really liked it.   So he ordered it in that shaft.  

So I will be able to demo it before committing 😳

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Going to try both next Saturday. I liked the M3 but it did not beat out the TS3 during my club champion visit. Had the M2 before and it was very sporadic for me. We will see how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I can also attest to tag line "everyone gets faster" to be false for me.  I recently went to a fitting and was trying out the drivers.  They really only had me in the M5 to try, but they worked the different shafts and ended up in a M5 with one weight in the toe and the other straight back in an Aldila Rogue 70 X shaft.  Swing speed was strong as I was actually averaging a couple miles per hour faster than normal at 114.  I hit about 5 shots with my somewhat gamer TS3 (waiting on my exact shaft in mail) but I was able to at least get a comparison.

Pros: Ball speed was good on off center strikes.  When I felt I really missed it and put an awful swing on it, I still got about 275 out of it and it was fairly straight.  Solid feel and good sound off impact.  Crown looks great with the changes they made to the matte black carbon and the thinner gray area.  It seemed to line up a shade open which fits my eye as well.  Once I started to get a feel for the driver, I was able to find the middle fairly consistently and my dispersion was tight.  Distance was a bit low, but he did not have it normalized so it was the real data.  Hitting range balls and in 20* weather, I was averaging 161 ball speed, 261 carry and 284 total at a 12.2* launch angle.

Cons: Spin was extremely low and I'm not a low spin player.  A lot of shots were 1200 - 1500 spin and just falling out of the air.  I am working on some swing changes where I address this, so it could be working I suppose, but definitely something I'd be afraid of if I were to buy the club.  Ball speed was lower than the TS3 that I have and I don't have my fitted shaft in it just yet, so I can see that difference being even greater as long as my results from club champion remain the same with the shaft I'm getting.  

Overall: The M5 was a good club with good aesthetics, but having hit the M3 in club champion as well, I didn't really see any difference between the two and my numbers were actually a bit better with the M3.  I think the sound is a bit better with the M5 and didn't find it as muted.  Priced at $549, unless your a Taylormade loyalist, I think other equipment out there will give you a little bit better numbers, but then again everyone is different

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

• 2 weeks later...

The best looking TaylorMade Driver in years IMO with the matted black finish on the top .  My buddy (at Dick's) was going to let me try a couple of the newer demos however I told em I played yesterday and my back is too sore today. 😛  I hit a friend of mine's M4 and it really has a sweet sound and feel plus the ball really hauls butt off the face.  Really interesting driver for sure. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

The best looking TaylorMade Driver in years IMO with the matted black finish on the top .  My buddy (at Dick's) was going to let me try a couple of the newer demos however I told em I played yesterday and my back is too sore today. 😛  I hit a friend of mine's M4 and it really has a sweet sound and feel plus the ball really hauls butt off the face.  Really interesting driver for sure. 

is that your Dick buddy 😏

sorry, couldn't resist 😋😂

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Hit these yesterday. First swings in months so swing was a little out of sync. I like the sound of both. Ball jumped off m6 face and with 10.5.* head the ball flight was higher than G400. I want to spend more time with both heads but at 9.5 with m6 and possibly m5

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

Im in the process of getting fit for a new driver tmrw. Always preferred TM clubs so will be leaning towards those of course. Seem to have hit them well in demos. More consistently than any other new driver.

Right now I avg like 225yds with a TM R1. I hit the M5/M6 abt 245 consistently in the monitor and hit the M3 250-260...

Did a lil "research". I looked at the driving performance #'s from Rory, DJ, Tiger, and Rahm; nearly all of them lost 5-10yds distance using the new drivers than last years M3/M4... Accuracy was +/- 5%. Maybe this does not correlate BUT those guys get paid to use the latest equipment BUT does not mean they are the best clubs. Just some food for thought.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

3 hours ago, JonMUSC08 said:

Im in the process of getting fit for a new driver tmrw. Always preferred TM clubs so will be leaning towards those of course. Seem to have hit them well in demos. More consistently than any other new driver.

Right now I avg like 225yds with a TM R1. I hit the M5/M6 abt 245 consistently in the monitor and hit the M3 250-260...

Did a lil "research". I looked at the driving performance #'s from Rory, DJ, Tiger, and Rahm; nearly all of them lost 5-10yds distance using the new drivers than last years M3/M4... Accuracy was +/- 5%. Maybe this does not correlate BUT those guys get paid to use the latest equipment BUT does not mean they are the best clubs. Just some food for thought.

Just my obeservation here- 

Courses in the spring are usually wetter than over the summer. That might be why they lost distance. DJ etc, aren't getting the rollout they did during the end of last year. If we are going to compare data in that manner, we need to remove variables, and there are way too many variables in your example. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock