jlukes

Callaway Epic Flash & Epic Flash SZ Driver Thread

MGS article is up with link in first post.

Here is a excerpt on price and availability

PRICING, SPECS, AND AVAILABILITY

Filed under Don’t Say We Didn’t Warn You, the Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero drivers retail for $529.99. Fully customized UDesign models will set you back $600.

The Standard Epic Flash is available in lofts of 9°, 10.5°, and 12°. The Sub Zero is available in 9° and 10.5°.

Stock shafts include a new green Project X EvenFlow, Project X HZRDUS Smoke, and Mitsubishi Tensei AV. I don’t want to dwell on it too much, but I’d be remiss not to point out that the first one isn’t currently listed on the PX website. You likely won’t find it sold by aftermarket custom fitters (or anyone else this side of eBay). My hunch (and that’s all it is) is that it’s likely similar to the EvenFlow Max Carry. Callaway loves to have things no one else does, but at $529, I’m hard-pressed to find any justification for having an “exclusive” shaft in the lineup. Just my 2-cents.

• Love 1

After reading the article one thing is certain: Callaway does a hell of a job of telling a really great marketing story.

Callaway's marketing story sounds like something narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson while TMags sounds like it's being pitched by the late Billy Mays 

• Like 4

This is an interesting backstory for sure, Everyone is using AI now to do everything, it was inevitable that it would the golf industry eventually, The most telling and hilarious part of the story to me is this: 

WHEN WE FIRST SAW THAT WE WERE A LITTLE WORRIED THAT WE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT ROLE EACH NEW PART OF THAT FACE DESIGN PLAYED IN THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THE FACE. WE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TO TOUCH AND WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IT DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.”

So their engineers went home that day realizing they had been replaced by a computer who can do 100x the designs and iterations that they can? Just such a weird and interesting story, I don't even know what to say. I'll be interested to hear if the reviews match the marketing, but the concept is absolutely where the industry needs to go to get some fresh approaches and concepts. I sure won't be paying 550 dollars for 2mph of ball speed max on my "Perfect" shots...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

Edited by chisag
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and golf club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

You could always drop $600 on a udesign model in custom Navy and Orange 🙂

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You could always drop $600 on a udesign model in custom Navy and Orange 🙂

With a Clay Matthews headcover to boot.

• Sad 2

Sorry, but all I can think of is the comic book. Can’t take this one seriously. I’m sure it’s a great product, but they need someone to come up with some better names.

Flash...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

There are 2 companies whose drivers I’ve used most often: Ping and Callaway. It took quite a bit to beat the Epic SZ with Hzrdus black 75X I had, and it’s going to take even more to get the Ping G400 Max our of my bag, but I’ve always loved Callaway drivers, and I’ll give this one a solid try at Club Champion in the Spring, along with all other drivers coming out.

A friend at Callaway was pretty honest in saying not everyone has seen gains with the new one, and with Tony’s write-up saying 1.5-2mph of ball speed, I can see why. I like the colors, and as usual, I like the crown. Accuracy, or “downrange dispersion” is really going to matter in the fitting as the Max is getting more fairways than ever. I look forward to trying this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, but all I can think of is the comic book. Can’t take this one seriously. I’m sure it’s a great product, but they need someone to come up with some better names.

Flash...

(Music playing....)”Ah-AHHHH! FLASH!”

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

A friend at Callaway was pretty honest in saying not everyone has seen gains with the new one, and with Tony’s write-up saying 1.5-2mph of ball speed, I can see why. I like the colors, and as usual, I like the crown. Accuracy, or “downrange dispersion” is really going to matter in the fitting as the Max is getting more fairways than ever. I look forward to trying this one.

... You are dead to me PMookie. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Spoiler alert:  Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield did not see an increase in balls speeds.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Spoiler alert:  Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield did not see an increase in balls speeds.

I watched rick shiels, I thought he did get 1.5-2mph over the rogue, but only 2 extra yards of distance...Did I hear that wrong? 

• Like 1

Just now, bardle said:

I watched rick shiels, I thought he did get 1.5-2mph over the rogue, but only 2 extra yards of distance...Did I hear that wrong? 

With the SZ I think he got more yardage but just about the same ball speed.  He got an increase in yardage because of high launch (14.3) and low spin (1900)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

With the SZ I think he got more yardage but just about the same ball speed.  He got an increase in yardage because of high launch (14.3) and low spin (1900)

Here's the screenie from his video...comparing ball speed from the SZ Flash to SZ Rogue. It only resulted in a whopping 2 yard increase, but at least their claims of increased ball speed hold true...even if it doesnt actually do anything for distance...

EDIT: I'm not trying to be argumentative, I went back and looked for a sanity check because I had just watched the video. Just making sure I hadn't lost my mind quite yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.11.08 AM.png

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, bardle said:

Here's the screenie from his video...comparing ball speed from the SZ Flash to SZ Rogue. It only resulted in a whopping 2 yard increase, but at least their claims of increased ball speed hold true...even if it doesnt actually do anything for distance...

EDIT: I'm not trying to be argumentative, I went back and looked for a sanity check because I had just watched the video. Just making sure I hadn't lost my mind quite yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.11.08 AM.png

So much for "Flash Face and AI technology!" Is the tech story cool? Yes, and I'll try it out, but I don't have particularly high hopes for it. I really don't see this winning many LM battles. Frankly, I'm more excited over their putters than over any of the other releases. I really hope PING brings it with their release, because right now, I'm mainly looking at the F9. 

Edited by GB13

I don't care that it's got the best sporting team colours in the world (Australian green and gold), I'm still not going to pony up over $500 when I can get a new G400 for $400.

• Like 3

1772701668_ScreenShot2019-01-04at11_11_08AM.png.98f6b934938cb319ca37cdad7aca969b.png

He did say he got more speed, then he said it was in the upper end... Also said not the highest he’s ever seen....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PMookie said:

He did say he got more speed, then he said it was in the upper end... Also said not the highest he’s ever seen....

Yup. His graphic indicates his average ball speed is just about in the middle. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

Maybe the Sean Toulon--a Wisconsin native--is starting to roll over not just at Odyssey but into Callaway as well.   He can be a pretty persuasive guy!!  I've got a Toulon Garage Indy sitting in my cart right now 😳

A good friend of mine was at the launch, he said he picked up about 3 mph in speed

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy