Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Callaway Epic Flash & Epic Flash SZ Driver Thread

null

MGS article is up with link in first post.

Here is a excerpt on price and availability

PRICING, SPECS, AND AVAILABILITY

Filed under Don’t Say We Didn’t Warn You, the Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero drivers retail for $529.99. Fully customized UDesign models will set you back $600.

The Standard Epic Flash is available in lofts of 9°, 10.5°, and 12°. The Sub Zero is available in 9° and 10.5°.

Stock shafts include a new green Project X EvenFlow, Project X HZRDUS Smoke, and Mitsubishi Tensei AV. I don’t want to dwell on it too much, but I’d be remiss not to point out that the first one isn’t currently listed on the PX website. You likely won’t find it sold by aftermarket custom fitters (or anyone else this side of eBay). My hunch (and that’s all it is) is that it’s likely similar to the EvenFlow Max Carry. Callaway loves to have things no one else does, but at $529, I’m hard-pressed to find any justification for having an “exclusive” shaft in the lineup. Just my 2-cents.

This is an interesting backstory for sure, Everyone is using AI now to do everything, it was inevitable that it would the golf industry eventually, The most telling and hilarious part of the story to me is this: 

WHEN WE FIRST SAW THAT WE WERE A LITTLE WORRIED THAT WE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT ROLE EACH NEW PART OF THAT FACE DESIGN PLAYED IN THE OVERALL PERFORMANCE OF THE FACE. WE DIDN’T KNOW WHAT TO TOUCH AND WHAT TO DO TO MAKE IT DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.”

So their engineers went home that day realizing they had been replaced by a computer who can do 100x the designs and iterations that they can? Just such a weird and interesting story, I don't even know what to say. I'll be interested to hear if the reviews match the marketing, but the concept is absolutely where the industry needs to go to get some fresh approaches and concepts. I sure won't be paying 550 dollars for 2mph of ball speed max on my "Perfect" shots...

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and golf club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

You could always drop $600 on a udesign model in custom Navy and Orange 🙂

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

You could always drop $600 on a udesign model in custom Navy and Orange 🙂

With a Clay Matthews headcover to boot.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

There are 2 companies whose drivers I’ve used most often: Ping and Callaway. It took quite a bit to beat the Epic SZ with Hzrdus black 75X I had, and it’s going to take even more to get the Ping G400 Max our of my bag, but I’ve always loved Callaway drivers, and I’ll give this one a solid try at Club Champion in the Spring, along with all other drivers coming out.

A friend at Callaway was pretty honest in saying not everyone has seen gains with the new one, and with Tony’s write-up saying 1.5-2mph of ball speed, I can see why. I like the colors, and as usual, I like the crown. Accuracy, or “downrange dispersion” is really going to matter in the fitting as the Max is getting more fairways than ever. I look forward to trying this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry, but all I can think of is the comic book. Can’t take this one seriously. I’m sure it’s a great product, but they need someone to come up with some better names.

Flash...

(Music playing....)”Ah-AHHHH! FLASH!”

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

A friend at Callaway was pretty honest in saying not everyone has seen gains with the new one, and with Tony’s write-up saying 1.5-2mph of ball speed, I can see why. I like the colors, and as usual, I like the crown. Accuracy, or “downrange dispersion” is really going to matter in the fitting as the Max is getting more fairways than ever. I look forward to trying this one.

... You are dead to me PMookie. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Spoiler alert:  Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield did not see an increase in balls speeds.

I watched rick shiels, I thought he did get 1.5-2mph over the rogue, but only 2 extra yards of distance...Did I hear that wrong? 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Just now, bardle said:

I watched rick shiels, I thought he did get 1.5-2mph over the rogue, but only 2 extra yards of distance...Did I hear that wrong? 

With the SZ I think he got more yardage but just about the same ball speed.  He got an increase in yardage because of high launch (14.3) and low spin (1900)

9 minutes ago, jlukes said:

With the SZ I think he got more yardage but just about the same ball speed.  He got an increase in yardage because of high launch (14.3) and low spin (1900)

Here's the screenie from his video...comparing ball speed from the SZ Flash to SZ Rogue. It only resulted in a whopping 2 yard increase, but at least their claims of increased ball speed hold true...even if it doesnt actually do anything for distance...

EDIT: I'm not trying to be argumentative, I went back and looked for a sanity check because I had just watched the video. Just making sure I hadn't lost my mind quite yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.11.08 AM.png

RH:

#cobraconnect19

53 minutes ago, bardle said:

Here's the screenie from his video...comparing ball speed from the SZ Flash to SZ Rogue. It only resulted in a whopping 2 yard increase, but at least their claims of increased ball speed hold true...even if it doesnt actually do anything for distance...

EDIT: I'm not trying to be argumentative, I went back and looked for a sanity check because I had just watched the video. Just making sure I hadn't lost my mind quite yet. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.11.08 AM.png

So much for "Flash Face and AI technology!" Is the tech story cool? Yes, and I'll try it out, but I don't have particularly high hopes for it. I really don't see this winning many LM battles. Frankly, I'm more excited over their putters than over any of the other releases. I really hope PING brings it with their release, because right now, I'm mainly looking at the F9. 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I don't care that it's got the best sporting team colours in the world (Australian green and gold), I'm still not going to pony up over $500 when I can get a new G400 for $400.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1772701668_ScreenShot2019-01-04at11_11_08AM.png.98f6b934938cb319ca37cdad7aca969b.png

He did say he got more speed, then he said it was in the upper end... Also said not the highest he’s ever seen....

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

Maybe the Sean Toulon--a Wisconsin native--is starting to roll over not just at Odyssey but into Callaway as well.   He can be a pretty persuasive guy!!  I've got a Toulon Garage Indy sitting in my cart right now 😳

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

A good friend of mine was at the launch, he said he picked up about 3 mph in speed

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I’m hoping to get to my fitter this week!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

See as a Texas A&M Aggie I’m looking at Baylor bears so I feel you on this lol

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 4 weeks later...

So after a week with the Epic Flash SZ here are my thoughts.  I have picked up negligible ball speed compared to my Epic SZ on good strikes.  Now high toe and the Flash SZ is a cannon and puts out high launch low spin bombs, even more than the Epic SZ.  On the dispersion side the Flash SZ is a bit straighter than the Epic SZ, but a lot more workable.  I am able to turn over the Flash SZ much easier than the Epic SZ and still able to hit the cut fairway finder on command.  There seems to be a bit less fade bias in the Flash SZ as compared to the Epic SZ.  Overall I think it is a solid club but as I have said several times, it is not $600 better than what I had in the bag.

For comparison both heads were 9* heads with the same AD TP6x shaft.  The Epic SZ was set to N/S with the heavy weight back.  The Flash SZ was set N/S with the sliding weight slightly to a fade bias.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

I was wondering if someone else would say this.
I don’t think I will get beyond scowling at the Callaway fitting cart, much less picking one up.
I can’t really think of a more polarizing color scheme. And I don’t know of many people that are indifferent to the Packers. You either hate them or are part of their obnoxious fan base.
Yes, I just went there. I have maintained friendships with plenty of folks that are Packers fans. So this is not the kind of hate that is so prevalent today that ruins friendships the second people find out who their friend voted for. Just the kind that will make me smile and say “no thanks” when someone offers to let me hit a Flash.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Having tested the new Sub Zero at around 9.5* with the Tensei stiff at 65 grams. I’m pleasantly surprised at the feel and distance I got. The Edge and Rogue Sub Zero offerings felt to light and dull to me. This new club had “pop” that I didn’t experience in the previous two models. I’ll recommend it to my students and the players I do fittings for. Don’t get me wrong, my TS2 is staying in my bag, but it is a nice option for players looking for a new driver. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed my driver fitting at Miles of Golf in Michigan. I tried the F9, PXG Gen2, Ping G410, the TS3, Epic Flash, and Epic Flash SZ. The winner was the.......................

Epic Flash SZ!

I had said in an earlier post that the only way I switch my driver was if I saw ball speed gains, AND kept my dispersion the same, with no missed shots diving left. Well, the Epic Flash SZ beat my G400 Max by 3 mph more ball speed, AND the dispersion shows no misses left, and the last FOUR balls missing the center line my a TOTAL of 6 feet... Silly. Straight, and long. Ball speeds averaged 169, and I hit 171 once, so there wasn’t much drop-off on mishits.

Shaft was the Graphite Design AD-IZ 7X, and it felt great! We had to keep tweaking things to keep the ball speed, but get spin over 2000. This shaft was the answer. Great feeling shaft, perfect spin, and tight dispersion.

It all came down to the TS3 and the Epic Flash, with the Epic Flash beating the TS3 significantly in dispersion. Ball speed was a mile-and-half less average with the TS3.

I’m shocked. I knew the SZ would see some distance, but to have the accuracy stick-out like that, it was really eye-opening. I hit out of a bay, doors open, onto the snow covered range. The bay was heated so it wasn’t super cold (24* outside). He even had me hit real balls, Chrome Soft, just to make sure spin was actual. The bay was about 65*, or so, so to see ball speeds hit 170 mph, and it’s not summertime, and really warm, really has me stoked. Wow.

Epic Flash SZ. Totally nuts!

I think it's about time we got a "PMookie's Weekly Fitting" thread

I’ll probably do one more before I buy one. HAHAHA! I