Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
jlukes

Callaway Epic Flash & Epic Flash SZ Driver Thread

I’m hoping to get to my fitter this week!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

See as a Texas A&M Aggie I’m looking at Baylor bears so I feel you on this lol

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 1

So after a week with the Epic Flash SZ here are my thoughts.  I have picked up negligible ball speed compared to my Epic SZ on good strikes.  Now high toe and the Flash SZ is a cannon and puts out high launch low spin bombs, even more than the Epic SZ.  On the dispersion side the Flash SZ is a bit straighter than the Epic SZ, but a lot more workable.  I am able to turn over the Flash SZ much easier than the Epic SZ and still able to hit the cut fairway finder on command.  There seems to be a bit less fade bias in the Flash SZ as compared to the Epic SZ.  Overall I think it is a solid club but as I have said several times, it is not $600 better than what I had in the bag.

For comparison both heads were 9* heads with the same AD TP6x shaft.  The Epic SZ was set to N/S with the heavy weight back.  The Flash SZ was set N/S with the sliding weight slightly to a fade bias.

• Like 1

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

I was wondering if someone else would say this.
I don’t think I will get beyond scowling at the Callaway fitting cart, much less picking one up.
I can’t really think of a more polarizing color scheme. And I don’t know of many people that are indifferent to the Packers. You either hate them or are part of their obnoxious fan base.
Yes, I just went there. I have maintained friendships with plenty of folks that are Packers fans. So this is not the kind of hate that is so prevalent today that ruins friendships the second people find out who their friend voted for. Just the kind that will make me smile and say “no thanks” when someone offers to let me hit a Flash.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 of my least favorite team colors on 1 club. GB P.ckers, and Notre Dumb. I agree, don’t think I can use this unless I were to put some different paint on the bottom. Maybe Honolulu Blue and Silver. 

Having tested the new Sub Zero at around 9.5* with the Tensei stiff at 65 grams. I’m pleasantly surprised at the feel and distance I got. The Edge and Rogue Sub Zero offerings felt to light and dull to me. This new club had “pop” that I didn’t experience in the previous two models. I’ll recommend it to my students and the players I do fittings for. Don’t get me wrong, my TS2 is staying in my bag, but it is a nice option for players looking for a new driver.