jlukes

Callaway Epic Flash & Epic Flash SZ Driver Thread

I’m hoping to get to my fitter this week!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

See as a Texas A&M Aggie I’m looking at Baylor bears so I feel you on this lol

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 2

So after a week with the Epic Flash SZ here are my thoughts.  I have picked up negligible ball speed compared to my Epic SZ on good strikes.  Now high toe and the Flash SZ is a cannon and puts out high launch low spin bombs, even more than the Epic SZ.  On the dispersion side the Flash SZ is a bit straighter than the Epic SZ, but a lot more workable.  I am able to turn over the Flash SZ much easier than the Epic SZ and still able to hit the cut fairway finder on command.  There seems to be a bit less fade bias in the Flash SZ as compared to the Epic SZ.  Overall I think it is a solid club but as I have said several times, it is not $600 better than what I had in the bag.

For comparison both heads were 9* heads with the same AD TP6x shaft.  The Epic SZ was set to N/S with the heavy weight back.  The Flash SZ was set N/S with the sliding weight slightly to a fade bias.

• Like 1

... I often poke fun of those that say they won't play a club because of what is on the sole or in the cavity. As long as you don't see it at address, I just don't see what difference it makes IF it performs. But ... but ... but as a lifelong Bears fan, I just don't think I can play a Green Bay Packers driver. What the he!! was Callaway thinking? I jest of course but dam this is one ugly looking green and gold club and all it needs to be even more hedious is a long blond haired Clay Mathews head cover. 🤪

I was wondering if someone else would say this.
I don’t think I will get beyond scowling at the Callaway fitting cart, much less picking one up.
I can’t really think of a more polarizing color scheme. And I don’t know of many people that are indifferent to the Packers. You either hate them or are part of their obnoxious fan base.
Yes, I just went there. I have maintained friendships with plenty of folks that are Packers fans. So this is not the kind of hate that is so prevalent today that ruins friendships the second people find out who their friend voted for. Just the kind that will make me smile and say “no thanks” when someone offers to let me hit a Flash.

2 of my least favorite team colors on 1 club. GB P.ckers, and Notre Dumb. I agree, don’t think I can use this unless I were to put some different paint on the bottom. Maybe Honolulu Blue and Silver. 

Having tested the new Sub Zero at around 9.5* with the Tensei stiff at 65 grams. I’m pleasantly surprised at the feel and distance I got. The Edge and Rogue Sub Zero offerings felt to light and dull to me. This new club had “pop” that I didn’t experience in the previous two models. I’ll recommend it to my students and the players I do fittings for. Don’t get me wrong, my TS2 is staying in my bag, but it is a nice option for players looking for a new driver. 

I just completed my driver fitting at Miles of Golf in Michigan. I tried the F9, PXG Gen2, Ping G410, the TS3, Epic Flash, and Epic Flash SZ. The winner was the.......................

Epic Flash SZ!

I had said in an earlier post that the only way I switch my driver was if I saw ball speed gains, AND kept my dispersion the same, with no missed shots diving left. Well, the Epic Flash SZ beat my G400 Max by 3 mph more ball speed, AND the dispersion shows no misses left, and the last FOUR balls missing the center line my a TOTAL of 6 feet... Silly. Straight, and long. Ball speeds averaged 169, and I hit 171 once, so there wasn’t much drop-off on mishits.

Shaft was the Graphite Design AD-IZ 7X, and it felt great! We had to keep tweaking things to keep the ball speed, but get spin over 2000. This shaft was the answer. Great feeling shaft, perfect spin, and tight dispersion.

It all came down to the TS3 and the Epic Flash, with the Epic Flash beating the TS3 significantly in dispersion. Ball speed was a mile-and-half less average with the TS3.

I’m shocked. I knew the SZ would see some distance, but to have the accuracy stick-out like that, it was really eye-opening. I hit out of a bay, doors open, onto the snow covered range. The bay was heated so it wasn’t super cold (24* outside). He even had me hit real balls, Chrome Soft, just to make sure spin was actual. The bay was about 65*, or so, so to see ball speeds hit 170 mph, and it’s not summertime, and really warm, really has me stoked. Wow.

Epic Flash SZ. Totally nuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I think it's about time we got a "PMookie's Weekly Fitting" thread

We could add that in the same category as Shanksters “squirrel” thread.

And by that I mean when I see something shiny and new my mind wanders like a... well you get the point.
  • Like 4

I think it's about time we got a "PMookie's Weekly Fitting" thread

I’ll probably do one more before I buy one. HAHAHA! I

• Like 3

I played one today. I really liked it, but I can’t say it was any longer than the LST. So for now, the Ping stays in the bag...

I have been playing the SZ Triple diamond head paired with a ventus 7x for about a month now. It is the best equipment change I have ever made.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, PMookie said:

I just completed my driver fitting at Miles of Golf in Michigan. I tried the F9, PXG Gen2, Ping G410, the TS3, Epic Flash, and Epic Flash SZ. The winner was the.......................

Epic Flash SZ!

I had said in an earlier post that the only way I switch my driver was if I saw ball speed gains, AND kept my dispersion the same, with no missed shots diving left. Well, the Epic Flash SZ beat my G400 Max by 3 mph more ball speed, AND the dispersion shows no misses left, and the last FOUR balls missing the center line my a TOTAL of 6 feet... Silly. Straight, and long. Ball speeds averaged 169, and I hit 171 once, so there wasn’t much drop-off on mishits.

Shaft was the Graphite Design AD-IZ 7X, and it felt great! We had to keep tweaking things to keep the ball speed, but get spin over 2000. This shaft was the answer. Great feeling shaft, perfect spin, and tight dispersion.

It all came down to the TS3 and the Epic Flash, with the Epic Flash beating the TS3 significantly in dispersion. Ball speed was a mile-and-half less average with the TS3.

I’m shocked. I knew the SZ would see some distance, but to have the accuracy stick-out like that, it was really eye-opening. I hit out of a bay, doors open, onto the snow covered range. The bay was heated so it wasn’t super cold (24* outside). He even had me hit real balls, Chrome Soft, just to make sure spin was actual. The bay was about 65*, or so, so to see ball speeds hit 170 mph, and it’s not summertime, and really warm, really has me stoked. Wow.

Epic Flash SZ. Totally nuts!

I just bought the SZ about two weeks ago.  Just like you said, I noticed ball speed gains and it was so forgiving on off center hits.  I noticed that toe/heel strikes were a lot more manageable then with my XR16 Pro.  I have said it before and I will say it again, it was not the best feeling driver I tried, that belongs to Titleist however ball speed, carry distance, dispersion all beat out every other driver out there.  

• Like 1

I played it for the first time today. It was one of my longest driving days to date and it felt pretty dang easy to control. I am a big fan and this driver might find it's way into my bag shortly.

Played with a Project-X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 shaft.

• Love 1

I’ve tested this against my current gamer (Epic Sub Zero with Tour AD DI 7x) and I can’t get any measurable difference for $500.

Also, I am still struggling with the top line look of the Flash (I struggle with the look of the epic too).

So I had a fitting last week and tried all the new drivers against my old Cobra Bio Cell, I was amazed at the difference in my driver to the new ones in ball speed and dispersion. In the end the Epic Flash SZ was the winner , it cam down to the Flash SZ and the Cobra F9, I took them out to the range after the fitting to verify in real life and outside the SZ was by far better on dispersion, dead straight on good hits,  the thing that really got me is my misses still hit the fairway most of the time. Of all the shafts I tried the Evenflow Black 65 X Flex gave me the best results, I am totally impressed with this driver. I am 51 years old so I am going to take advantage of this distance gain now before my SS starts to go down hill. Purple is my cobra bio cell

image.thumb.png.44a9d97f4b37caf0e20082be842eb5f9.png

image.thumb.png.39cc585ebc348b9b6f404a43181a9475.png

• Like 1

I have a question for epic flash owners. I want to set up mine as -1, Neutral, but in order to align both marks (head and on the hosel), the align grip is reversed. I'm trying to have this setting but with the correct align orientation but cant seem to figure if its even possible with -1, neutral. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a question for epic flash owners. I want to set up mine as -1, Neutral, but in order to align both marks (head and on the hosel), the align grip is reversed. I'm trying to have this setting but with the correct align orientation but cant seem to figure if its even possible with -1, neutral. Any help would be much appreciated.
The grip should never change with the optifit adapter. The 2 little cogs will rotate after removing the head.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

The grip should never change with the optifit adapter. The 2 little cogs will rotate after removing the head.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just checked again and even the neutral, stteted loft setting, the grip is also reversed.   I'm a lefty so I'm thinking they mixed a "righty grip" (for align, it would be 180 reversed for lefties), with the left handed club.....