Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×
jlukes

PXG 0811 X & XF GEN 2 Driver Thread

Until we start seeing actual performance-testing numbers, the conversation here is about the price drop, right? An early hunch: there are some execs at Wilson that aren't thrilled right now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Until we start seeing actual performance-testing numbers, the conversation here is about the price drop, right? An early hunch: there are some execs at Wilson that aren't thrilled right now.

The numbers comparing to 0811 0811x gen1 are on a different level. At least for me.

5 minutes ago, puttingpirate said:

The numbers comparing to 0811 0811x gen1 are on a different level. At least for me.

Would love to see some launch monitor comparisons between the two for you!

2 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Would love to see some launch monitor comparisons between the two for you!

Hmm, maybe can do it even today side by side as I'm heading to my fitting studio later today... Hmmm, let's see 🙂

• Like 2

500 dollar drivers.... 😥

that being said, if I could afford it I'd have one.

I'm a veteran and, like Bob, a former Marine and certainly appreciate his ...ummm... "stance" on things.  Love that he has a program for military members to purchase his clubs at a reduced cost and I am seriously considering it....

BTW, fun fact, 0811 is a Marine Field Artillery Cannoneer.... DRIVER GO BOOM!
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345358

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

500 dollar drivers.... 😥

that being said, if I could afford it I'd have one.

I'm a veteran and, like Bob, a former Marine and certainly appreciate his ...ummm... "stance" on things.  Love that he has a program for military members to purchase his clubs at a reduced cost and I am seriously considering it....

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345358

Not to get too off topic (there is another thread discussing club prices already), but TaylorMade and others are going up to 549 this year, and their fairway woods will be close to 400.

If what Bob says is true, that his business is operating more efficiently now and they've amortized their startup costs, then good on him for passing a lot of that savings down to the customers.  It will allow PXG to continue to be an ultra premium brand, but still make them more accessible to the "average joe"

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Not to get too off topic (there is another thread discussing club prices already), but TaylorMade and others are going up to 549 this year, and their fairway woods will be close to 400.

If what Bob says is true, that his business is operating more efficiently now and they've amortized their startup costs, then good on him for passing a lot of that savings down to the customers.  It will allow PXG to continue to be an ultra premium brand, but still make them more accessible to the "average joe"

certainly good to see that it is not just a "PXG" thing but an industry trend (sad nonetheless)...and...to those who had their jaw hit the floor when PXG launched, the gap between PXG and non-PXG just got a lot smaller.  A lot.

But - back to the topic at hand - the engineering that Tony described behind this in the video sounds like it is second to none!

Looking forward to some test results...

Good for Bob. Sounds like they are making attempts at being competitive and not just an ego driven brand. It can only do good thing for equipment if companies are putting out better equipment and not just another badged-on carbon fiber piece to make sales.
I wonder if the irons, that I know little about, because I was just assuming “ego” brand and not competitive tech. I wonder if they will perform or make strides in tech, feel, performance and not be just an ultra expensive brand.

The 575 price tag has my attention, because for me if I’m going to go get fitted and buy a brand new driver. Before I wouldn’t have even tried a pxg in a fitting because I knew the price tag was outside my limit. Now not so much.

The last new driver I bought (Nike Covert Tour) was 525 with a shaft upcharge so this isn’t too far away that. 

• Like 2

I wonder if the irons, that I know little about, because I was just assuming “ego” brand and not competitive tech. I wonder if they will perform or make strides in tech, feel, performance and not be just an ultra expensive brand.

We will find out this year. MGS announced on the various social media platforms that PXG will be included in the most wanted testing. They haven’t specified to what extent but I am excited that we will be able to see some side by side comparisons.
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

Good for Bob. Sounds like they are making attempts at being competitive and not just an ego driven brand. It can only do good thing for equipment if companies are putting out better equipment and not just another badged-on carbon fiber piece to make sales.

I've been playing PXG irons since release. There are for sure other irons I could be playing... Somewhere... That I haven't found. But with my toe strikes nothing is as forgiving and still feels good. If you get a chance - go hit them and you may fall in love.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

This sentence is the best sentence I've read all year.

If the performance matches, Bob Parsons is going to look like a marketing genius.  

• Like 1

The price point is perfect from a pxg perspective. Using Wilson’s approach of pricing to show quality pxg is going to come in as just above everyone else so competitive but proved high enough to just separate themselves.  The first gen were good but lacked the boom factor. If they deliver that in gen2 it’s going to be a fun year to see sales numbers 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The price point is perfect from a pxg perspective. Using Wilson’s approach of pricing to show quality pxg is going to come in as just above everyone else so competitive but proved high enough to just separate themselves.  The first gen were good but lacked the boom factor. If they deliver that in gen2 it’s going to be a fun year to see sales numbers 

Not sure I can reveal what I’ve been told after a few whiskeys, but they sell a fck ton of equipement already. I’m not in the industry so no idea how many clubs Honma / Miura is shifting but PXG is selling A LOT.

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

+1. If I hadn't bought new clubs last Spring, I would be test driving PXG along with my other favorites. Maybe next time...

• Like 1

Bob is a marketing genius. I see now how, he made his money. He priced it out of reach for almost everyone on the first release, made it unattainable, and more premium than any other brand. Now, he dangles the hook low enough that gets people to say, hmm, I'm not a millionaire, but I can afford a little piece of luxury. Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant! 

• Like 1

I posted this in the comments under Tony’s article, but from what I heard in my fittings this year, PXG was bleeding. They hadn’t taken enough of the “high-end” niche that includes Miura, and was beginning to have some major financial issues, too much inventory, etc. I see this move as nothing more than PXG HAVING to get more sales, and they’re just spinning it, just like every other OEM spins things.

Still curious to try the drivers. Will be neat to see actual data, and how they perform in the most wanted testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro