TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG 0811 X & XF GEN 2 Driver Thread

null

Glad to see you guys are recovering from New Years quickly!  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Until we start seeing actual performance-testing numbers, the conversation here is about the price drop, right? An early hunch: there are some execs at Wilson that aren't thrilled right now.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

500 dollar drivers.... 😥

that being said, if I could afford it I'd have one.

I'm a veteran and, like Bob, a former Marine and certainly appreciate his ...ummm... "stance" on things.  Love that he has a program for military members to purchase his clubs at a reduced cost and I am seriously considering it....

BTW, fun fact, 0811 is a Marine Field Artillery Cannoneer.... DRIVER GO BOOM!
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345358

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

500 dollar drivers.... 😥

that being said, if I could afford it I'd have one.

I'm a veteran and, like Bob, a former Marine and certainly appreciate his ...ummm... "stance" on things.  Love that he has a program for military members to purchase his clubs at a reduced cost and I am seriously considering it....

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345358

Not to get too off topic (there is another thread discussing club prices already), but TaylorMade and others are going up to 549 this year, and their fairway woods will be close to 400.

If what Bob says is true, that his business is operating more efficiently now and they've amortized their startup costs, then good on him for passing a lot of that savings down to the customers.  It will allow PXG to continue to be an ultra premium brand, but still make them more accessible to the "average joe"

1 minute ago, jlukes said:

Not to get too off topic (there is another thread discussing club prices already), but TaylorMade and others are going up to 549 this year, and their fairway woods will be close to 400.

If what Bob says is true, that his business is operating more efficiently now and they've amortized their startup costs, then good on him for passing a lot of that savings down to the customers.  It will allow PXG to continue to be an ultra premium brand, but still make them more accessible to the "average joe"

certainly good to see that it is not just a "PXG" thing but an industry trend (sad nonetheless)...and...to those who had their jaw hit the floor when PXG launched, the gap between PXG and non-PXG just got a lot smaller.  A lot.

But - back to the topic at hand - the engineering that Tony described behind this in the video sounds like it is second to none!

Looking forward to some test results...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Good for Bob. Sounds like they are making attempts at being competitive and not just an ego driven brand. It can only do good thing for equipment if companies are putting out better equipment and not just another badged-on carbon fiber piece to make sales.
I wonder if the irons, that I know little about, because I was just assuming “ego” brand and not competitive tech. I wonder if they will perform or make strides in tech, feel, performance and not be just an ultra expensive brand.

The 575 price tag has my attention, because for me if I’m going to go get fitted and buy a brand new driver. Before I wouldn’t have even tried a pxg in a fitting because I knew the price tag was outside my limit. Now not so much.

The last new driver I bought (Nike Covert Tour) was 525 with a shaft upcharge so this isn’t too far away that. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I wonder if the irons, that I know little about, because I was just assuming “ego” brand and not competitive tech. I wonder if they will perform or make strides in tech, feel, performance and not be just an ultra expensive brand.

We will find out this year. MGS announced on the various social media platforms that PXG will be included in the most wanted testing. They haven’t specified to what extent but I am excited that we will be able to see some side by side comparisons.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 minutes ago, kingcscott said:

Good for Bob. Sounds like they are making attempts at being competitive and not just an ego driven brand. It can only do good thing for equipment if companies are putting out better equipment and not just another badged-on carbon fiber piece to make sales.

I've been playing PXG irons since release. There are for sure other irons I could be playing... Somewhere... That I haven't found. But with my toe strikes nothing is as forgiving and still feels good. If you get a chance - go hit them and you may fall in love.

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

This sentence is the best sentence I've read all year.

If the performance matches, Bob Parsons is going to look like a marketing genius.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

The price point is perfect from a pxg perspective. Using Wilson’s approach of pricing to show quality pxg is going to come in as just above everyone else so competitive but proved high enough to just separate themselves.  The first gen were good but lacked the boom factor. If they deliver that in gen2 it’s going to be a fun year to see sales numbers 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The price point is perfect from a pxg perspective. Using Wilson’s approach of pricing to show quality pxg is going to come in as just above everyone else so competitive but proved high enough to just separate themselves.  The first gen were good but lacked the boom factor. If they deliver that in gen2 it’s going to be a fun year to see sales numbers 

Not sure I can reveal what I’ve been told after a few whiskeys, but they sell a fck ton of equipement already. I’m not in the industry so no idea how many clubs Honma / Miura is shifting but PXG is selling A LOT.

Bob is a marketing genius. I see now how, he made his money. He priced it out of reach for almost everyone on the first release, made it unattainable, and more premium than any other brand. Now, he dangles the hook low enough that gets people to say, hmm, I'm not a millionaire, but I can afford a little piece of luxury. Brilliant! Absolutely Brilliant! 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I posted this in the comments under Tony’s article, but from what I heard in my fittings this year, PXG was bleeding. They hadn’t taken enough of the “high-end” niche that includes Miura, and was beginning to have some major financial issues, too much inventory, etc. I see this move as nothing more than PXG HAVING to get more sales, and they’re just spinning it, just like every other OEM spins things.

Still curious to try the drivers. Will be neat to see actual data, and how they perform in the most wanted testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Not sure I can reveal what I’ve been told after a few whiskeys, but they sell a fck ton of equipement already. I’m not in the industry so no idea how many clubs Honma / Miura is shifting but PXG is selling A LOT.

Total opposite of what I’ve been told......

+1. If I hadn't bought new clubs last Spring, I would be test driving PXG along with my other favorites. Maybe next time...

Best performing irons for me in all three fittings last year. They’re no joke..... Well, except for the price. They’re not that much better to warrant 2-3 times what I’ve paid in the past.

52 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Total opposite of what I’ve been told......

They have been selling a lot. It may not be to the level of what the big guys sell but it’s like what a Wilson, tour edge and others might consider a lot would be nothing compared to TM, Callaway, etc.  they were doing well and then after the announcement of gen 1 50% discount for general public and the pxg for heroes which had a biggerb discount they couldn’t keep up with ordered for both gen releases. There was a 4+ week backlog on orders 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

17 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Nobody says how much the fitting costs.

If fit by the pxg reps it’s free. Kinda like a typical demo day but on an appointment basis only. I did a fitting in August 

I live about two miles from a PXG certified vendor and plan on giving these a shot. PXG looks like they’re working on re-penetrating the market. There’s no good reason not to try them out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

They have been selling a lot. It may not be to the level of what the big guys sell but it’s like what a Wilson, tour edge and others might consider a lot would be nothing compared to TM, Callaway, etc.  they were doing well and then after the announcement of gen 1 50% discount for general public and the pxg for heroes which had a biggerb discount they couldn’t keep up with ordered for both gen releases. There was a 4+ week backlog on orders 

Hmm. Lots of differing stories out there then. Interesting.

I'm interested to see the performance of the drivers compared to others.  I'll admit I drooled a little after seeing the pictures of them just hope they can put up the numbers.  I might have to go to club champion and schedule a driver fitting this year to swing them.

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Max Low X stiff flex 

Cobra F8+ 3-4 Wood 2knv green shaft 

Srixon U65 18 Steel Fiber i110x 

Srixon U65 4 iron Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff

Srixon 765 5-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 X stiff flex standard length/ 1 degree flat

Vokey 52/56/60

Bettinardi SS28 Center Shafted Putter

Srixon Zstar XV 2019 

Right Handed

Champaign, IL

USGA handicap index 22.1

Twitter: @darrenp36

Instagram: @dpow36

24 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If fit by the pxg reps it’s free. Kinda like a typical demo day but on an appointment basis only. I did a fitting in August 

With all the head configurations and shaft combinations, a free fitting is a deal.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

28 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Hmm. Lots of differing stories out there then. Interesting.

I think it’s partky due to not much info shared from them on their numbers so unless talking to someone there or a dealer it’s hard to know for sure.

13 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

With all the head configurations and shaft combinations, a free fitting is a deal.

It’s probably going to cost a fitting fee if going to one of their authorized facility like any other brand you would get fit by, but if you go on their site and schedule a fitting that is normally done with their local rep. Mine was done at TPC Potomac and they actually had their rep who covers DC area, Delaware and parts of PA and iirc NJ come down just for my fitting as they had no other one booked. The did one at the beginning of August and scheduled a second at a couple weeks later and I was only one booked and instead of canceling/rescheduling the rep came down and did the fitting and in between my booking and the fitting day they did get two other fittings(one was for a client who did an indoor fitting and wanted to double cb em his fitting outdoors). Was charged for the clubs, grips and shipping only.

their reps have a ton of shafts with them too so yeah it’s a deal