TESTERS WANTED! ×

PXG 0811 X & XF GEN 2 Driver Thread

null

Had a chance to hit this during my Club Champion fitting.  First impression - looks nice, but felt REALLY heavy.  Dispersion was good, but ball speed wasn't.  Did not like the sound or feel either - felt kind of dead.  Was my first time ever hitting a PXG club and I came away severely underwhelmed 

This is why we need to try clubs. I absolutely loved the feel and sound.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My PXG Gen 2 driver just shipped out today - tracking says it should be here by Saturday. 

Just in time for temperatures that are in the negatives! Gonna have to get to the indoor range - 

If anyone is interested, I can post some trackman data from my range, and also my thoughts once I get the driver! 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

On 1/29/2019 at 2:01 AM, KAB2313 said:

My PXG Gen 2 driver just shipped out today - tracking says it should be here by Saturday. 

Just in time for temperatures that are in the negatives! Gonna have to get to the indoor range - 

If anyone is interested, I can post some trackman data from my range, and also my thoughts once I get the driver! 

Yes please, always good to see! 

One week from now, I’ll have completed the PXG Gen 2 driver fitting. Can’t wait! If it doesn’t beat the G400 Max, no big deal... Still going to be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

7 hours ago, PMookie said:

One week from now, I’ll have completed the PXG Gen 2 driver fitting. Can’t wait! If it doesn’t beat the G400 Max, no big deal... Still going to be fun!

I tested all the new drivers for a golf mag this year... And I’d suggest that you try the Ping G410 PLUS. Even tho I’m playing PXG gen2 myself it’s the only one that I think could kick it out of the bag.

Update to my previous post:

Got my new PXG Gen 2 driver today in the mail! My first impression is that it is lightweight.. It has to be the carbon fiber crown. 

I have the 0811x Gen 2 9 degree loft with a Tensei CK Pro Blue 70tx shaft which is 77g - and it feels way lighter than my old M1 which had a Tour AD BBx7 shaft which was 76g. 

Face looks like it sits very square, and the alignment aid is great.. Also I got the midsize grip which doesn't seem midsize, it seems like a couple extra wraps but is super comfortable. 

Haven't hit it yet, but hopefully will early next week. But wanted to give you guys some pictures. 

IMG_2450.jpeg

IMG_2452.jpeg

IMG_2454.jpeg

IMG_2451.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2457.jpeg

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Update to my previous post:
Got my new PXG Gen 2 driver today in the mail! My first impression is that it is lightweight.. It has to be the carbon fiber crown. 
I have the 0811x Gen 2 9 degree loft with a Tensei CK Pro Blue 70tx shaft which is 77g - and it feels way lighter than my old M1 which had a Tour AD BBx7 shaft which was 76g. 
Face looks like it sits very square, and the alignment aid is great.. Also I got the midsize grip which doesn't seem midsize, it seems like a couple extra wraps but is super comfortable. 
Haven't hit it yet, but hopefully will early next week. But wanted to give you guys some pictures. 
IMG_2450.jpeg.5240d0bc0cb27e50aaf90a04166f9a13.jpeg
IMG_2452.thumb.jpeg.a298e5cf82f4c74d567b9668e36d4b2b.jpeg
IMG_2454.thumb.jpeg.65993a6293fb9b1a4f1e50b3e7bf2138.jpeg
IMG_2451.thumb.jpeg.a20e660d8e34fdd8a3690e1b36310b76.jpeg
IMG_2455.thumb.jpeg.1825f36e278e189ee958a582d531407c.jpeg
IMG_2457.thumb.jpeg.5ffe017b78ecbd7159692d07a3ff528e.jpeg
Nice! Im really digging the matte crown.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Alright so I went to the outdoor range yesterday and hit off the mats - we got a blast of 50-60 degree weather here in Ohio and you would have thought it was 85 and sunny around here. 

I kept the weights in their standard position without any tweaking - So, first thing that stood out to me was the sound. It's a loud thud, almost hollow sounding. I don't really mind it but I know some people really care about sound. For me as long as its not an ear piercing "ping" I'm okay with it. 

The "x" and the lines on the carbon fiber crown help with alignment, and I felt like I could tell if the face was closed or opened at address which is super helpful and I think will be for most people. 

What I found to be pretty cool was the face of the club being made of some titanium alloy it showed where the ball struck on the face every single shot... No need to spray the club with foot spray or whatever- the club did it. And I understand that I hit maybe 15-20 balls with it, but it was nice. Maybe as I use it more it'll stop, but for now I'll take it. Oh, and you can wipe the face off and the marking goes away. 

Today I'm headed to a local indoor range that has Trackman in the bays. So I'll get a trackman report with some numbers and I'll update one more time if you guys aren't tired of it haha. 

KB

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

This weekend I had the opportunity to attend a PXG fitting event and hit the new Gen 2 X driver.  My first thought after hitting that driver was WOW!  This is the first time I've ever hit a PXG driver, and it didn't disappoint.  With 2019 being the year of the driver, I've been hitting every driver out there to see if there's one that can improve my game. 

The current leader for me has been the Titleist TS2 driver.  I was seeing ball speeds increase to 162 mph on 109 mph swing speed.  Dispersion was extremely tight and total distance was right around 300 yards.  This was until I hit the PXG...sorry, but I'm going to steal Bob Parsons' famous saying, "Ka Boom Baby!" 

I thought the commercials were a bit over the top to say the least, but that was until I hit the driver.  They have been advertising nothing, but speed on their Instagram.  Showing all their tour sponsors in racing helmets, and I now understand why.  At one point I saw a ball speed of 167 mph!!!  We were hitting of Trackman for both the TS2 and the PXG.  The lowest ball speeds I saw were still beat out the TS2 at 163 mph.  I figured with those speeds that there was no way that it would be consistent, but again I was proven wrong.  At one point I had 3 drives directly on top of one another.  The distances between my farthest left and right drives were way inside my Ping G LST.  

I'm still waiting to hit the new G410, but even Ping has its work cut out on this one.  Once I am able to hit it, I'm going to talk to the PXG rep and do one more hit before I buy my new driver.  I want to put my top 3 head-to-head-to-head in a final showdown if you will.  Right now that final 3 is looking like the order going into that is:

1) PXG Gen 2 X

2) Titleist TS2

3) Ping G400 LST

We'll see if the G410 can punch it's ticket to the finals and knock off the new top seed!

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

Why Parsons went with Chocolate and Cream for head cover colors, I’ll never know. Yuck!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

27 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Why Parsons went with Chocolate and Cream for head cover colors, I’ll never know. Yuck!

Who uses oem headcovers anyways? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 2/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, PMookie said:

Hahah I thought the same thing when I got my driver in the mail and opened it up... Brown? I figured black would be the only option .... 

I will say it's pretty heavy duty, and I think I'm going to keep my Daphne Head cover at home this year. 

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

Here are some of my trackman numbers with the 0811X - 

My thoughts after having well over 100 swings with it now as that I do like it.. I like the sound a lot, and really like the look of it. 

I will say that it isn't the fastest head on the market (Sorry Bob) - My club head speed has been around 113-117 with the PXG but when I went to Club Champion for a new driver shaft in it, the fitter wanted to see what I could do with the new M5 head - same shaft I was in the 117-121 range and I thought the M5 head felt heavy than the PXG. 

I am super happy with the driver, and am looking forward to playing it this year. Looking at the numbers below, I'll post three different shafts with the caveat that my previous driver, an M1 440 with a BBx7 I was carrying the ball about 305 with a swing speed averaging about 120 (don't believe me I can post some numbers haha)

These numbers are with a Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70tx - a lot of pushes with this shaft. 

365646238_ScreenShot2019-02-12at1_54_37PM.png.1b4a2712a713f491e6e074f664256a99.png

After getting fit at CC the Speeder 757 TR X Stiff is what the fitter ended up putting me - but we are going to cut it down to 44.5 length - I liked these number and would hit a really nice draw - I launched them lower than I ever have hit a driver before, and it honestly felt like a springboard right at impact. These numbers were after trying about 10 other shafts for around 60 swings - I'm hoping cutting the shaft down will help my smash and therefore my ball speed, and carrying distance.

1223540636_ScreenShot2019-02-12at1_56_47PM.png.68e233a0d13c2823955bbd635ebe36f9.png

Lastly, I just wanted to post this - the Speeder Evolution IV but in a Stiff 3 wood shaft. I didn't see any dip in club head speed, and saw ball speed, and distance go up - even the one I launched at 13 still got over 300 total - This is the reason my fitter cut down the TR above - To be honest, I don't know why we went with the TR over this one- but maybe it's cause he didn't want to put me in a Stiff shaft (they didn't have XS in the store) and my spin was a bit higher with the IV. 

1222813726_ScreenShot2019-02-12at1_55_17PM.png.75264a68d598310b64e26e8fab3039b0.png

Thanks for reading guys

KB

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

• 2 weeks later...

I was fit for the Gen 2 0811x the last week of Jan in Scottsdale at PXG HQ. I loved the feel and sound of it more than anything. Numbers were good, ball speed up from my old epic, spinning mid 2's which for me is low I tend to be higher 2's even mid 3 on a mis hit. Was fit into the even flow white 6.5 65. Saw some people asking how much the fittings cost, I was told ahead of time it would be $200 but that it would be waived if I was to purchase that day. I did end up purchasing that day, but didn't get the sense I was going to be charged the 200 if I didn't. Ended up seeing Pat Perez inside hitting balls which was cool. Heads are now on backorder so won't have it for another month or so.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 5:42 PM, KAB2313 said:

When I ordered mine, I had them put an extra tungsten weight in place of one of their black ones.  It allowed me to add an extra 2 grams.  It may be small, but it made a big difference for me.  By adding it to the forward heel, it didn't have any impact on spin rates either.

Edited by goaliewales14

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

• 2 weeks later...

I was fit for the PXG 0811x w/diamana 60s 3 weeks ago at NOVO Golf (top 100 fitter).  I really like how this club frames the ball at address. I'm a huge fan of the sound and feel. Really enjoy that muted sound.  As far a performance, I would put it up there with the others.  The ball speed is a tad lower than others but dispersion was unmatched for me.  I was able to set up and put the ball where I wanted to.  Overall its a solid offering.  Side note, my swing speed is 102 and the spin I got with this set up was 2600.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 5:20 PM, pbwedition said:

I was fit for the Gen 2 0811x the last week of Jan in Scottsdale at PXG HQ. I loved the feel and sound of it more than anything. Numbers were good, ball speed up from my old epic, spinning mid 2's which for me is low I tend to be higher 2's even mid 3 on a mis hit. Was fit into the even flow white 6.5 65. Saw some people asking how much the fittings cost, I was told ahead of time it would be $200 but that it would be waived if I was to purchase that day. I did end up purchasing that day, but didn't get the sense I was going to be charged the 200 if I didn't. Ended up seeing Pat Perez inside hitting balls which was cool. Heads are now on backorder so won't have it for another month or so.

I am

getting fit at the Scottsdale HQ in a few weeks. I heard it was a free fitting even if I didn’t buy. True?

TM Sim2 9* GD AD HD 6S

TM Sim Max 15* Tensei Blue 65S

TM M2 19* Fuji Pro 73S

PXG Gen3 0311P 4-W Elevate TourS

Vokey SM8 50*&54* SM7 58*
SC Phantom X 5

6 hours ago, Jollygreens said:

I am

getting fit at the Scottsdale HQ in a few weeks. I heard it was a free fitting even if I didn’t buy. True?

Not what I was told. It’s $150 or $200, I’ve heard both and of you fo buy the price of the fitting isn’t taken off the driver

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not what I was told. It’s $150 or $200, I’ve heard both and of you fo buy the price of the fitting isn’t taken off the driver

Thanks. Calling today to ask. Not sure it can beat out my M6 AD DI setup and not sure I wanna fork out the cast to see. 

PXG told me on he phone I cold hit come irons during my fitting too. The Hero’s program is what really got me interested. 

TM Sim2 9* GD AD HD 6S

TM M2 19* Fuji Pro 73S

SC Phantom X 5

You were right. Just checked my appointment email from from PXG and it says $200 fee. 

TM Sim2 9* GD AD HD 6S

TM M2 19* Fuji Pro 73S

SC Phantom X 5

1 hour ago, Jollygreens said:

You were right. Just checked my appointment email from from PXG and it says $200 fee. 

They have “local” reps who do demo days. They are made via appointment and cost nothing. I did an iron fitting last year with the rep for this area and thinking about doing a driver fitting this year

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Oh man.  This will sell drivers.  🙂

It wasn’t a club issue but human error. 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:56 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

500 dollar drivers.... 😥

that being said, if I could afford it I'd have one.

I'm a veteran and, like Bob, a former Marine and certainly appreciate his ...ummm... "stance" on things.  Love that he has a program for military members to purchase his clubs at a reduced cost and I am seriously considering it....

BTW, fun fact, 0811 is a Marine Field Artillery Cannoneer.... DRIVER GO BOOM!
https://www.thebalancecareers.com/marine-corps-enlisted-job-descriptions-3345358

That is interesting.  I never made the connection that Bob Parsons was in the USMC (a Purple Heart recipient no less) and always wondered what the hell 0811 stood for... now I know 😀.  I love their latest commercial with Billy Horschel and the "kaboom baby" ending. Makes me want to join the PXG movement. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

16 hours ago, Shankster said:

Oh man.  This will sell drivers.  🙂

Umm, that's what the torx-wrench is for 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

5 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

That is interesting.  I never made the connection that Bob Parsons was in the USMC (a Purple Heart recipient no less) and always wondered what the hell 0811 stood for... now I know 😀.  I love their latest commercial with Billy Horschel and the "kaboom baby" ending. Makes me want to join the PXG movement. 

Pretty sure that every club is named after a Marine Corps MOS ... type the number followed by "MOS" in Google and you'll see.... pretty creative.  The latest is the 0211 irons  - https://www.cool.navy.mil/usmc/enlisted/0211.htm

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C