Just outside shoulder width.  Pretty standard - if anything, a smidge on the wide side.

Interesting.

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

Joe, did he talk to you at all about being across the line at the top? Too steep on the downswing (above plane)? Then standing-up and arching your back at impact to create room for the steep angle coming-in to impact? Hitting against a firm left side, left leg straightening?

... Ahhhhhh Mook, you remind me of the advice I got from a legendary 80yr old southern instructor when I first started teaching. "Sayum, whey-un yur givun auyut enfor-mayshun, give it auyut by thu teespoon not thu shuvul". 🤪

• Like 5

... If you stop your swing when the shaft is at or just short of parallel you will see this is where your body rotation stops and the rest of the movement is arms/wrist related.

This

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I always told me students "NEVER listen to what anyone else has to say abut your swing or your lesson. And NEVER give anyone else advice that worked for you". A good instructor has a plan for your swing improvements and often that plan is based on what might seem like poor advice. It is not. There is a method to the madness.

... If you stop your swing when the shaft is at or just short of parallel you will see this is where your body rotation stops and the rest of the movement is arms/wrist related. As an instructor I need to find out if it is because the right arm is moving the wrists or the wrists moving the right arm? That question has already been answered by your instructor. It is easy to see the shaft is in a perfect position coming back down when it gets to the parallel position so I can see where your good timing days you are just killing it but on your bad timing days you can be inconsistent. Stay patient, which I am sure you will, and trust your instructor when it seems like you are taking some steps backwards. Which of course may or my not happen ... but usually does. I am looking forward to your journey and I'd wish you luck, but you wont need it! 

Thanks man! Always love your insight.  Definitely know that I will go backwards at times, but that's why I'm choosing to do it now rather than mid-season - I don't have to worry about taking my game onto the course for meaningful golf anytime soon.  My instructor and I have great communication and "speak the same language" so I am looking forward to his recommendations for getting me straightened out.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Like I mentioned it's weight shift. I need to work on keeping my weight on the inside of my right right foot and not get over my toes on the downswing. Need to think more heel to heel.

No mention of straightening the left leg. Again, the straight left leg/early extension happens because of my poor wrist angles and weight shift/rotation

This is my swing thought as well! No goat humping if I get to my left heel. I think EE is an issue for 99% of us am's. Good luck on your journey!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, yungkory said:

This is my swing thought as well! No goat humping if I get to my left heel. I think EE is an issue for 99% of us am's. Good luck on your journey!

haha  one of my swing thoughts is "don't *hump the dog"  ....  *sometimes I use a different word and sometimes I say to myself that I bleeped the dog on that one.

Early extension is a difficult one for me.... easy to get it confused with "no" extension.... early is bad, but extension at the right time is good!  so many timing elements.

• Like 1

... Ahhhhhh Mook, you remind me of the advice I got from a legendary 80yr old southern instructor when I first started teaching. "Sayum, whey-un yur givun auyut enfor-mayshun, give it auyut by thu teespoon not thu shuvul". 

Definitely lost in translation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

... Yankees... sigh. 😉  Without the thick southern accent:  "Sam, when you're giving out information, give it out by the teaspoon not the shovel." 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

I give you credit for posting j Luke’s.You have a long road ahead of you.I would seek an instructor that focuses on lower body dictating the swing itself.Your issues aren’t the actual motion.But more being extremely out of sync.All coming back with very poor lower body movements

best of luck 

2 hours ago, Edveed said:

I give you credit for posting j Luke’s.You have a long road ahead of you.I would seek an instructor that focuses on lower body dictating the swing itself.Your issues aren’t the actual motion.But more being extremely out of sync.All coming back with very poor lower body movements

best of luck 

Thanks... I think? I guess it's a miracle I'm a 4 handicap? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Thanks... I think? I guess it's a miracle I'm a 4 handicap? 

Like when you tell a girl she looks better with the lights off. Nice backhanded compliments LOL.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, yungkory said:

Like when you tell a girl she looks better with the lights off. Nice backhanded compliments LOL.

I don't normally like big teeth, but on you they work. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Good luck! Interested to follow along! I really need to find an instructor I like/trust.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Your current swing looks great. No matter what your goals are. I hope you reach them and have a great 2019 season 

• Like 1

This thread is going to be a great follow for these next few months. I'm looking forward to the updates on progress. 

• Like 1

I had my first lesson today and it was the perfect example of treating the disease, not the symptom.  In my case, the main disease is a lateral weight shift instead of a rotation.  It was clear from the pressure sensor and the video that I was sliding to the target and not getting my left hip behind me.  Corey wanted me to simply focus on feeling my weight transfer to my left heel while stiffening that front leg and getting my left him behind me.  He didn't want me to change anything else until we saw how the elimination of rotation changed what my hands and arms did.

Well the results spoke for themselves.  Proper rotation put me in a much better hitting position to the point where I  didn't need to flip my hands to make impact.  Flipping my hands wasn't a cause, it was an effect.  I was flipping my hands and standing up on the ball because if I didn't I would hit 6 inches behind the ball because my upper body and arms were so disconnected.  When I had my weight shifting correctly, my arms stayed close to my body, I didn't bring the shaft down as steep, and I didn't flip my wrists.

I will continue to drill the left hip behind me over the next week until my second lesson a week from today, but wow, what an eye-opener today was!

Before on right, new move with better rotation on the left

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Thanks for the updates!  When you found yourself flipping what was the ball doing?  What I mean is did it tend to go right, left, short, etc...?

Being an ex baseball player, I had many of the same problems that you did, poor rotation and at times I would get too wristy.  It takes a lot of patience and work to make a swing change.  I did this just last year.  I had many rounds in the mid to high 80's for most of last summer, occasionally dipping into the low 70's when everything was working.  What a great feeling that was.  I know it's in there and like you and just about every other golfer on the planet...want to be more consistent.  That is my focus this year, I will give up a bit of length to hit more fairways and greens.  I am looking at bringing my handicap waaaay down this summer.  Stay focused and patient.  It will be hard but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  Have fun! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Thanks for the updates!  When you found yourself flipping what was the ball doing?  What I mean is did it tend to go right, left, short, etc...?

High short and right due to the open face and added loft

• Like 1
  • Sad 1