Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

jlukes' Swing Overhaul

21 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I commented in another thread on here somewhere about GG and how my instructor friend likes his philosophy, but knows it won't fit a lot of people, just from watching your swing and knowing what I know about you, I can definitely see you as being one that could definitely incorporate it.  

Yup. Plus he isn't a one swing for all guy. So that's a huge appeal. 

In the past I would have never signed up for online lessons/programs, but after my winter program and my fitting I am so comfortable with my knowledge of my game, my swing and the golf swing that I am confident that I can make strides in a solid online program. 

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Going to sign up for George Ganka's online swing program that lasts a year.  I've been watching GGSwing Tips well before the Matt Wolff stuff started happening and love his teaching style and how he explains things.  

I have thought about doing this as well. I like the way he teaches. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

• 3 weeks later...

What prompted the instructor change?

Impact position after adjustment is a very positive change. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

20 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

What prompted the instructor change?

Impact position after adjustment is a very positive change. 

Technology, and just needed to find someone who could give me a different message to help get a feeling that really resonated with the moves I'm trying to make 

On 4/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, hartrick11 said:

@jlukes This has been very useful, and really appreciate you sharing. I am working through a similar process on my end over the last few months (trying to fix a stall with the lower body rotation that leads to early release, flip, pull hook 🙄)  and it has often felt like 2 steps forward followed by 1 (sometimes 1.9) steps back. Seeing the written and video updates at each step along the way must be helpful for you to look back on as well, right? I have been keeping notes on my phone but I like what you've done better.

I got an initial 3 lessons and have been working through drills since then on my own to try and save money. As you alluded to, with family and work obligations, the time spent on golf is never as much as you hope, so it's hard to commit to focused practice on a Saturday when that would be your only chance to get out on the course with your buddies, but I think another 6-pack of lessons would be money well spent for me in the long run...

Please keep sharing as the season picks up for you. Best of luck exiting the 80s on a more permanent basis!

You mean in three lessons you weren't able to see the solutions to your swing?  Don't forget there are online options and when it comes to changing movement patterns, much of the work should be done without a ball when you have limited time to devote to practice.  I'm sure you could find 10-15 minutes a day doing movement work.  You would be amazed and the change is possible.  

I still can't believe that you didn't have a full plan of attack over three lessons.  Doing the work is one thing but knowing what is needed is an hours work.  

No, I just mean time and money were constraints on continuing in-person lessons, which I think would otherwise be the best option for working through swing overhauls. I have my own plan and online resources & individual drills have been very helpful in their own right (especially Rebellion Golf), but for me at least, additional individual lessons would likely prove to be more beneficial than just what is online.   

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Went to the range this evening and worked on the drills I learned last week. Man I can already see and feel the difference in my ball striking. I'm flushing my irons and really compressing the ball. Working on maintaining my posture through the downswing and feeling like I'm having the club exit more around my body to the left rather than up and to the left. Towel drill really helped me actually start hitting down on my irons. Coming together nicely. 

IMG_20190806_181824_187.jpg

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Swing Overhaul Part 2 has commenced 

Really appreciate you posting these videos, @jlukes. Not only is it fascinating watching your work and progress, but there's hardly been one that you've put up that hasn't given me something to think about in my own swing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I have always known what I was doing wrong, even after my lesson program last year, and I still couldn't get the proper thoughts'feels to correct.  I decided to go back to my instructor, Jason, who worked with in 2013 and 2014.  He's really the only instructor I have had that has been able to drastically transform my swing.  Before going to Jason in 2013, my driver spin was around 3500 and my launch was around 7 degrees.  I was hitting so far down with my driver that it was robbing me of distance.  Jason helped me hit up on the ball and turn my high cut into a draw.  

The new swing is all about control with the scoring clubs. He loves my driver swing and there are only a few tweaks we are going to make there, but he doesn't want to rob me of any speed.

We are focusing on getting wider/deeper in the backswing (bringing my hands less inside) and then pivoting through the downswing and keeping my hands much lower.  In just one lesson yesterday, we were already able to see very promising results on hitting knockdown shots with the PW and 8i.  As I get more comfortable with the concepts and the move, I will be ramping up the speed and eventually translating it to full swings with the scoring clubs and then transitioning to the longer irons, hybrids and woods. 

Really excited to be working with Jason again.

Went to the range this evening and worked on the drills I learned last week. Man I can already see and feel the difference in my ball striking. I'm flushing my irons and really compressing the ball. Working on maintaining my posture through the downswing and feeling like I'm having the club exit more around my body to the left rather than up and to the left. Towel drill really helped me actually start hitting down on my irons. Coming together nicely. 

IMG_20190806_181824_187.thumb.jpg.6698eace5e1b814773d86845da91ae3f.jpg

Didn’t look back so you may have already answered. What is your margin of error for placing the ball on front of the towel?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The towel drill is one I've used in the past that really helped me out too.  When I started working on my changes last winter, I was only hitting -1.5* down with pretty much every iron.  My coach wanted that down to -3-4.5*, depending on the club.  The towel drill and moving the ball back in my stance as the clubs got shorter really made a difference for me.

ETA: I had always played the ball in the same position, regardless of club.  The combo of towel drill and ball placement did get my angle of attack to a much more desirable range.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

On 10/14/2019 at 5:24 PM, jlukes said:

Swing Overhaul Part 2 has commenced 

Wow.... What a transformation! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 3 months later...

Looking forward to your evaluation of it. And close up pictures, so I can figure out how to MacGyver one together here.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• 8 months later...

2020/2021 Offseason Overhaul Beginning Early

Working on cleaning up the long swing and making a better turn in order to have a more consistent low point and better descending blow with my irons.  The swing from the beginning of the lesson is on the right.  The swing after working on a few things is on the left

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What is your main priority for the off-season this year?  Anything specific or just general housekeeping?

Iron play.  Arccos data magnified what I already know.  I am leaving so many opportunities out there because of my poor approach shots.  

Last year I really cleaned up my short game with the planemate, but now I need to focus on the 85-170 range