Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Apogee Investment Management Championship

Good luck, my friend. If you have a non-golfer loop for you, be sure to teach him the basics of etiquette. At least he won't need to tend pins. 

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

19 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Good luck, my friend. If you have a non-golfer loop for you, be sure to teach him the basics of etiquette. At least he won't need to tend pins. 

true thing to consider HL, thanks for the reminder. Also, a big shout out to everyone getting behind this, it's pretty inspiring. The dates and venues are probably two months away from announcement. Currently thinking through my bag and where improvements can be made.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Best of luck to you and keep us updated with your equipment changes if any. Geeks like me eat that stuff up! Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

8 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

true thing to consider HL, thanks for the reminder. Also, a big shout out to everyone getting behind this, it's pretty inspiring. The dates and venues are probably two months away from announcement. Currently thinking through my bag and where improvements can be made.

I've only been on the other side of the strap a few times, and I've never had a non-golfer on my bag.  But I was just listening to the NLU podcast with Max Homa, where he recounted the time he had to use a local airport baggage handler who did not play golf as a caddy in a tournament in Bermuda.  I can't imagine how much mental energy it would take to maneuver a guy around a golf course if he'd never set foot on one before.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

10 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I've only been on the other side of the strap a few times, and I've never had a non-golfer on my bag.  But I was just listening to the NLU podcast with Max Homa, where he recounted the time he had to use a local airport baggage handler who did not play golf as a caddy in a tournament in Bermuda.  I can't imagine how much mental energy it would take to maneuver a guy around a golf course if he'd never set foot on one before.

I probably worded this a bit wrong, it wouldn't be someone who's never played golf before, but isn't someone who's avid or be able to help me make decisions. But, I will say in my 9 hole round I played last year for my Mizuno test with my girlfriend with me taking photos, she had no idea what she was doing and I shot +1 on a course I hadn't seen before while helping her get in the right spot for good shots. Time will tell, still in the planning stages and may decide to go a different route than the caddie thing anyway.

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

• 2 months later...

So, just when you thought this thread was dead, it isn't! The AIM Qualifier sites have been announced so I figured I'd give them a run down and let you into my head as far as to what I'm thinking as far as the sites to go

May 11: Cortland County Club. Playing at 6,003 yards for this year's qualifier. Last year, a score of 86 (+14) was necessary to make the field. Advantages are that this is the only track I've played before in the qualifying rotation, having played it in high school and apparently shooting a +4 on the front side off the blues (nearly 300 yards longer) according to an old newspaper link I found! Another upside is the course's length, being very similar to my home course. Disadvantages, it's the first qualifier in the rotation and with the long winter here who knows where my game will be on May 11th. Also, it is a private course. In the past they've allowed practice rounds, but I'm uncertain if they will this year.

May 15: Lake Shore Yacht and Country Club. Playing at 6,162 yards, and first time hosting qualification rounds as it's normally a pick to the actual official tournament rotations. Advantage, it's the nearest course to me of the three. It is hosting practice rounds (albeit for $50 a trip around). Disadvantages, never played it, will likely have the most talent of any of the three qualifiers since it's a top tier private course.

May 21: Camillus Country Club. Playing at 6,338 yards for this year's qualifier. Last year, a score of 86 (+14) was necessary to make the field. Advantages is that it's the public course of the three (really semi-private but fair pricing for rounds) therefore I can get the most practice on this course. Also, not that far from me, closer than Cortland but further than Cicero. Downside, longest course of the bunch may neuter potential scoring options not only on par fives, but longer par fours. Also, because of location and availability, perhaps the largest field.

So, if I had to pick one course right now I'm leading toward Cortland being the spot for my run. What's more interesting to me is the way the rotations for the main field shakes out. They must be looking for this year's tournament to be a birdie fest because they are playing all the courses short. First is Yahnundasis GC, playing a touch over 6,400. But the next three locations all are listed at playing around 6,000 yards. Drumlins East (private) is a track which can be got, Tuscarora (private) is a place most the field who have private memberships have played and should know pretty well, and Oswego (private) can be tricky, but can also be got as well. It's a weird set-up in my mind, but I guess it's been that way to allow for some good and exciting scoring since the tournament's been over by Saturday the last few years.

So spies, leaning Cortland, but if you think better of it, give me your thoughts, we're all in this together!

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 1/2/2019 at 2:13 PM, Berg Ryman said:

After that failure I put up the clubs and focused on education and music, earning a Bachelors in Journalism right about the time the newspaper bubble burst.

Hey, a fellow (must be close to class of 2011) journalism alum. Yeah, never wrote a single story for a newspaper after college. Awful timing.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

3 hours ago, edingc said:

Hey, a fellow (must be close to class of 2011) journalism alum. Yeah, never wrote a single story for a newspaper after college. Awful timing.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Finished J-School in 2011, so you know the deal!

SIK Golf Flo-C

• 1 month later...

Figure it's around time for an update. If I play in the tournament it's going to be at Cortland, not for any interesting reason, it's the only qualifying site on a weekend so it means I won't have to use a sick day at my new job. However, you'll notice there's an 'if I play' up there. You see, registration for the qualifiers is on May 5, and because of CNY's typical crap weather and wet spring I have played no golf yet this year and outside of some limited range sessions, I've hardly picked up a club.

I'm hoping to see the courses around me open up this weekend into week so that I can maybe play a bit and work my game into some kind of shape where I can feel good about where I stand, but I'm not throwing $85 away for no reason. I hope to bring a happier update to you in a few weeks with a tee time and info on where to follow me, but we're a bit away from that right now.

SIK Golf Flo-C

• 3 weeks later...

Final update in this thread:

I have decided not to compete in the upcoming AIM Championship Qualifier, and the reason may surprise you. As some of you may know, I have recently started a new job in Syracuse working for a legal aid organization. Now, I picked the Cortland Qualifier because it fell on a weekend day, meaning I wouldn't have to use any time off.

However, with the dates of the tournament facilitating a need for 2 consecutive days (a Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun schedule) off roughly 45 days into my new job, I figured that taking the time would be disrespectful of the new job and paint me in a bad light, as well as using 2 of my three mandated personal days for the entirety of year one, putting me in a corner in case of an emergency.

As such, my focus has shifted to the 2020 AIM Championship and with it, a goal to qualify to make the weekend as one of the top 36 players in the area. Since I have the time I'm going to focus on working my game this season, completing a through review of the Odyssey Stroke Lab putter MGS has so gratefully selected me to review, learn where my focus needs to be to become a better player, get a fitness plan in place, and perhaps take a couple of lessons to work on some deficiencies in my game.

Thanks for the support in this endeavor everyone, sorry to have delayed it and let you down. Onward to 2020.

SIK Golf Flo-C