Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

PGA to experiment with in round interviews

srooch2

I was wondering when/if they would ever do this. European tour does it and I love it.

https://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/pga-tour-experiment-in-round-interviews-in-2019

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I don't know on this one.   Right off the bat, I'd have to say I'm not a fan.  I hate the in-game interviews with baseballl managers, and the coming off the court/field at halftime with football and basketball coaches.  You never get any true insight.   Just the same ole, "we have to defend better.  We have to find something that works on offense.  There's still a lot of game left" blah blah blah.   

But I'll be open minded enough to see how it goes.  if'it's someone like Bones who would know what to ask or what not to ask, and not just some lame, "how are you going to come back from that bogey" question, then maybe there is potential.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm with CG32. I don't like the sound of it. It's cheesy. I suppose I don't watch enough of the Euro tour as I don't recall this. Unlike CG I don't have to be open minded because the PGA tour is going to do what they want to do regardless of what I think. So today I'm closed minded. Heh!!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I guess I have not really seen any of these done on the Euro tour that I remember, but my first instinct would be, "NOOOOO!" I think they would come off as lame and watered-down and would only serve to annoy the players who need less distractions and not more. I've never competed in golf on any level, but have competed in other sports at high levels and know that just for myself, the last thing I want to see is a microphone and camera asking me stupid questions when I'm trying to focus and win something.

I listen to the Jim Rome Show quite a lot and several years ago, one of his listeners put together an audio clip bodged together with certain words from real Tiger Woods' interviews to demonstrate how generic he had become even in pre or post-round interviews, and I think it fits in here as I believe on-course answers from players will tend to follow this model...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

In round interviews?? Not a fan of that happening - these players are slow enough without disrupting place of play.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I hate these on the Euro tour enough as it it is! I hope the PGA doesn't add them!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I saw Ricky Fowler do one and it was very good, quick and to the point. I liked it a lot. I think it will be how good the interviewer is and how compliant the golfer is.

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

1 hour ago, Brewmaster said:

I saw Ricky Fowler do one and it was very good, quick and to the point. I liked it a lot. I think it will be how good the interviewer is and how compliant the golfer is.

So a worst case scenario could be Holly Saunders with Patrick Reed 😬

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I wonder how long they can keep it up and not ask repetitive questions player to player and week to week.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I get it during a pro am day when GC is airing the Wednesday round or at an event like qbe shootout or father/son. A pga event just isn’t going to get guys we as fans want to hear from while. Imagine trying to do your job and get interrupted to answer questions...not to mention pace of play concerns.

im with cnosil and curious how original and relevant the questions will stay 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Could be interesting if they can get more than a runaround answer but I don’t blame players of any sport for doing minimum in interviews, press can be real idiots. Gonna depend on who they pick to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Definitely not a good idea. Seems like it would be super distracting to have to give an interview in the middle of a round. If players (not mentioning names) can be distracted by rattling change, think what will happen when they are asked to give an interview. Like others have said, the answers are going to be far more superficial. If it does happen, they had better catch the players after a great hole otherwise we'll be seeing some not-so-great-for-television moments.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

They all have to help grow the game, I'm not saying this is an answer but if the tour thinks it could help they all need to get on board. The fans pay the bills! Sorry if they don't want to be bothered but they all still want that big paycheck too.

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

On 1/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, cnosil said:

I wonder how long they can keep it up and not ask repetitive questions player to player and week to week.  

That was my initial thought as well.  There is more than enough of that repetitive questioning during pre and post round interviews for me.  #moregolflesstalk

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I saw the one today that Bones did with DJ.  Pretty good, but look what happened to DJ afterwards!!  I say Let them do their job and interview when done.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a fan. The one with Woodland was great. But I would say that they should be able to opt in or out on doing them during the round.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

10 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

The one with Woodland was great. But I would say that they should be able to opt in or out on doing them during the round.

I saw that too. However, and I like Gary; but I thought it was standard fair pretty much. Most all interviews IMO with the pros before or after rounds are contrived and boring. Same talking points.... "it's a process, still working on a few changes, my irons weren't sharp, putting was iffy, expecting to improve soon, getting myself in position, the greens are nice, course is in great shape, love the fans, working with my coach, exercising, enjoying our new home, the new baby is awesome, blah, blah, blah."

I certainly would imagine a player can decline on course interviews. If not I can't wait to see the ones where a mic is shoved in a guys face and he tells them to scram. Especially on Friday when a player is riding the cut line on 17-18.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived