Favorite book

tommc23

Still love The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings. Jack London and Joseph Conrad have lots of good stuff. Right now I'm reading Catch 22 and this is a great book. Like others, The Great Gatsby is also good.

I was a history major, so in grad school I read mountains of non-fiction. In a 16 week class we would read at least 12 books plus whatever you also read for your research papers. I'm happy to make recommendations if there are other history buffs out here.

Take Dead Aim

• Like 3

Take Dead Aim

On 1/3/2019 at 9:04 AM, tommc23 said:

We have a favorite author thread so why not do favorite book. Like some have done in the author one you can put best book by genre. 

It's sad to say but some of the best books I've read were in high school. The two best books I've ever read and truly enjoyed were:

1984 & The Great Gatsby 

Ugh, tough call.  Theres so many great books out there.  Probably for me its Zen Golf because its such a great book on the mental game in golf and for me it really sparked me to pursue Buddhism in a serious way, which then really sparked me to change the way that I live and how I look at everything in life.

I would say that before that, I was probably a Buddhist for a really long time but was never ready to really admit it to myself and start a serious practice with it all.

• Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Gave this some thought and I really don’t have a favorite book.
I do have a short list of favorite authors.
Michael Connelly
Baldacci
Child
V Flynn
Hemmingway
CJ Box
And a couple more but I do see a trend.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 1/6/2019 at 8:58 PM, revkev said:

Another vote for the Bible - I read it every day -

No surprise there I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I try to read some of it everyday. I do good for a while, then I skip days. My intentions are good.

• Like 2

I’ll have to vote for the Bible as well...

especially lately I’ve been in Acts what an adventure that is.  Love it.

Other book is the old man in the sea.  Seems to be a common pick, just a great book.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Still love The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings. Jack London and Joseph Conrad have lots of good stuff. Right now I'm reading Catch 22 and this is a great book. Like others, The Great Gatsby is also good.

I was a history major, so in grad school I read mountains of non-fiction. In a 16 week class we would read at least 12 books plus whatever you also read for your research papers. I'm happy to make recommendations if there are other history buffs out here.

Take Dead Aim

Oh man... I complain about reading 3 textbooks... 😳 12?

Someone once asked me what book made me cry.  I replied "Organic Chemistry".

While the Bible is the best answer for me, I'll go with Pat Conroy's "Lords of Discipline", primarily because I did an advance and detailed study of it many years ago in a college literature course after my retirement from the Navy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Per class per semester. Thogh they weren't textbooks though, just history books, but each was 300-400 pages.

Oh man... I complain about reading 3 textbooks... [emoji15] 12?

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

31 minutes ago, CarlH said:

While the Bible is the best answer for me, I'll go with Pat Conroy's "Lords of Discipline", primarily because I did an advance and detailed study of it many years ago in a college literature course after my retirement from the Navy.

I'm a gym rat - always have been - and I absolutely loved Conroy's book My Losing Season.... if you're a sports fan at all this is fantastic.

As a former Marine The Great Santini is an all-time great as well.

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

4 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I'm a gym rat - always have been - and I absolutely loved Conroy's book My Losing Season.... if you're a sports fan at all this is fantastic.

As a former Marine The Great Santini is an all-time great as well.

I've read all of his works.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, CarlH said:

My stock answer to that same question is always Differential Equations !!  🤣  It's what made me change my major from EE to Comp Sci.

To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite.  Read it in 8th grade and it had a huge impact. 

The Tolkien books were also read about that same time frame and remain favorites.  I read some good ones in a college lit course, Clockwork Orange, 1984, Catch 22, A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch.  I don't read much other than Bible study type material these days.

Modern Bag:  Sub70 849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;  Titleist 915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 3:30 PM, StrokerAce said:

so so many...

my 8th grader just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird - he didn't like it but it is one of my all time favorites.... high schooler is reading The Catcher in the Rye - another classic

One of the funniest I've ever read is A Walk in the woods - the movie did not do it justice.

My favorite genre is nonfiction and there are so many incredible stories out there - Unbroken is absolutely incredible...hard to believe it was even real. 
Alive and Into Thin Air were both stunning as well.

I suppose I could go on and on. I'll have to come back and edit as I recall more.

What can I say, I just love To Kill a Mockingbird, I probably read this book a hundred times in my life, and every time it feels different with age, because I begin to understand it differently, this is an incredible book. This interested me so much that I read many other literature related to To Kill a Mockingbird, such as various articles, essays, and so on. And even that's not all, I started writing essays myself and have been writing about various books for a long time, but of course it was the essay on To Kill a Mockingbird that I wrote most of all, examples of my ready-made and absolutely free works you can find on my website, I am sure that it will be useful for you. By far this is my favorite book that touched me to the core.

Edited by Mitchell Strong
  • Like 1

“Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

My works on "To Kill a Mockingbird" 👍

On 3/25/2021 at 7:04 AM, ncwoz said:

I really enjoyed the Mistborn series.

I've got to agree here, I'm a huge Sanderson fan and while he was chosen to finish off The Wheel of Time and has a lot of other great works, Mistborn is my favorite. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I've got to agree here, I'm a huge Sanderson fan and while he was chosen to finish off The Wheel of Time and has a lot of other great works, Mistborn is my favorite. 

Mistborn has been my only Sanderson exposure so far, but it has me intrigued about starting up some of his other works as well. My only complaint is the guy has so many different projects going on, none of them are complete!

He does seem to be an absolute workhorse though. Once he gets a few of his other series further along I plan on giving them a try. Any particular ones you'd recommend I start with?

• Like 1

Right Handed

Driver (9°): :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid (18°): :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron (18°): :Hogan: UiHi Iron (KBS Tour V 110g shaft)

Irons (4-PW)  post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS-1's (KBS $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts)

**Currently testing: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts)

Wedges (54° & 58°) post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: :Snell: MTB-Black OR MAXFLI Tour OR TP5X

1 hour ago, ncwoz said:

Mistborn has been my only Sanderson exposure so far, but it has me intrigued about starting up some of his other works as well. My only complaint is the guy has so many different projects going on, none of them are complete!

He does seem to be an absolute workhorse though. Once he gets a few of his other series further along I plan on giving them a try. Any particular ones you'd recommend I start with?

I would recommend the Wax and Wayne series, it's set in the world of Mistborn about 200 years after The Hero of Ages. The books are The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and The Bands of Mourning. 

The Stormlight Archive is extremely good, but it's going to be a long series. If you decide to try it out, I'd recommend reading Warbreaker as you won't get some of the references in the series. 

He's also written a young adult series, the Reckoners that I love. The first book in that series is Steelheart. They're all very good. 

• Like 1

Probably cheating by giving a series, but the Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo. Really fun way to combine a futuristic sci-fi and military fiction book while still having fun dropping easter eggs throughout. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons. 

Assorted wedges.

Odyssey White Hot Pro putter.

Dan Brown, any😍 I love all the books by this author. I started reading it at school. I was advised to read more to improve my writing skills. But it did not help. By the way, maybe someone will be useful https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/classyessay/. Thanks to them, I avoided writing hateful essays and always received excellent marks for them. Also, all tasks were completed very quickly

Edited by Madeleine Baker