jlukes

2019 TaylorMade TP5 & TP5x Golf Balls

Please use this thread for all discussions, impressions and reviews of the new version of the TP5 & TP5x golf balls from TaylorMade

The new TP5 and TP5x golf balls will be available at retail on February 15th.

NEW SPEED-LAYER SYSTEM

The new Speed-Layer System is comprised of four increasingly stiff layers to produce more ball speed. The result is more carry distance off the tee, more control in the wind, and more spin around the greens.

ball-feature-3.jpg

NEW HIGH-FLEX MATERIAL (HFM)

The 2019 TP5/TP5x feature a new material called HFM—delivering for higher ball speed through a greater rebound effect. HFM acts like a tightly wound spring that builds energy and rebounds quickly, generating more ball speed.

ball-feature-4.jpg

image.png.7f96b5e0084e3e02dee28d8ad84595ad.png

Ready for these to hit the TM purchase program so I can order some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hope the cover durability is better than the previous TP5 and TP5X.  I purchased a box of TP5x last year and had cover issues with 2 of the sleeves.  I will give the new ones a try and hope for the best.  Maybe I will finally take the AVX out of the bag this year if they work out.

• Like 1

Of all the TM releases coming up, this is the one I am most excited about. I don't know whether that is from my love of the old TP5 or my disdain for the new M5/6 releases. The original TP5 was one of my top 2 ball choices last year. All I want to see out of the new TP5 is better feel. I think the old TP5 was marketed at 75? compression. It felt like a 90 compared to every other ball around 75. If they fixed that, I may have a new gamer...

I tried a few of the TP5x last year and I couldn’t stand them. I couldn’t get them to spin off the irons or out of the rough at all. It felt fine and the distance was definitely there, but I don’t want all of my shots from the rough like knuckleballs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

3 hours ago, dpgolf36 said:

I hope the cover durability is better than the previous TP5 and TP5X.  I purchased a box of TP5x last year and had cover issues with 2 of the sleeves.  I will give the new ones a try and hope for the best.  Maybe I will finally take the AVX out of the bag this year if they work out.

I must be lucky because in the 2 dozen of each ball I’ve used since the first release a couple years ago I’ve never had any issues with the covers

I must be lucky because in the 2 dozen of each ball I’ve used since the first release a couple years ago I’ve never had any issues with the covers

And I could have just of been real unlucky and received a bad batch. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, dpgolf36 said:

And I could have just of been real unlucky and received a bad batch. 🤷🏻‍♂️

You aren’t the first person I’ve seen talk about issues. It’s like those who had m1/2 heads crack which in two different times with the m2 I had no issues and the second head is with a buddy still going strong 

I tried a few of the TP5x last year and I couldn’t stand them. I couldn’t get them to spin off the irons or out of the rough at all. It felt fine and the distance was definitely there, but I don’t want all of my shots from the rough like knuckleballs.

What'd your club head speed? I think these require fast club head speed to make spin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

According to initial information, durability has been addressed.

What'd your club head speed? I think these require fast club head speed to make spin.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver swing speed is 115-120. I only played a couple of rounds with them, but the knuckleballs out of the rough were noticeable. I had 190 to the flag into the wind and hit my 180 club and flew the green. They were good out of the fairway, but too unpredictable out of the rough.

Driver swing speed is 115-120. I only played a couple of rounds with them, but the knuckleballs out of the rough were noticeable. I had 190 to the flag into the wind and hit my 180 club and flew the green. They were good out of the fairway, but too unpredictable out of the rough.

Wow. I’m 10mph slower, but never had issues with inconsistent spin. Glad I didn’t!

I'm around 112 with the driver and never had any flier issues either 

• Like 1

I used to play the LDP blacks and the first couple generations of the Pentas and loved them. I had issues with this ball and the last generation of Nike with the micro dimples that really seemed to fly and carry like crazy.

• Like 1

Tried the TP5x today- straight out the box and compared to a new Prov1 the TM is whiter. Titleist have always had a yellowing/dulling issue after a few holes so the TM wins that contest.

With driver/4wood and irons I liked the sound and feel. With the putter it felt very soft.

Off the fairway it didnt spin that much, out the rough it flew further than expected, possibly very low spin.

With the driver however the flight and length was good but every drive spun back about a foot, yes the ground was soft but playing partners using Callaway Chrome soft had run out and no spin back.

I'm going to use the TP5 tomorrow and see if it's any different/better.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:58 PM, jlukes said:

I'm around 112 with the driver and never had any flier issues either 

... Well it's that time again. Buy 3 dozen personalized TP5x and get 1 dozen free. I just ordered my 3 dozen with the . that cannot be seen at address. Should fit your new swing perfectly by spring! 🤗

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Well it's that time again. Buy 3 dozen personalized TP5x and get 1 dozen free. I just ordered my 3 dozen with the . that cannot be seen at address. Should fit your new swing perfectly by spring! 🤗

Haha I already used that strategy to get my 2019 Srixons! Came out perfect!

• Like 1

Great ball - I would be gaming the tp5x if my club weren’t a Titleist club and I had proshop credit to burn.

• Like 1

I was pretty excited to try these out because I really liked the previous TP5x and played it for most of last year but I was a little disappointed when I tried them out today. It was a cold day here (30 degrees) so I'll probably give them another shot when it warms up but my first impression wasn't great. There was a decent breeze that I was playing into on some of the holes and the ball seemed like it was ballooning on mid and low irons shots into the breeze and coming up significantly short. I tried out the old TP5x on a few of the same shots and it didn't seem to have the same issue. Conversely, when I was down breeze, this ball really took off and was a little unpredictable. Has anyone else seen similar behavior?

The short game feel and behavior felt similar to last year's ball and I liked the spin around the greens. I didn't really notice much of a difference with the driver. I hit both side by side on a few holes and the distance was within a few yards. 

TP5x for me. I tried it out for the first time a couple weeks ago and I was really surprised how good it felt as well as it played

Sent from my VTR-L09 using MyGolfSpy mobile app