TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can golf shoes impact scoring?

Wedgie

I have 6 or 7 pairs of golf shoes in rotation.  I noticed that for whatever reason I score better when I wear Nike Roshe golf shoes.  I don't know why  but I do know these shoes seem to keep my heals a little more elevated than the Addidas, FJ or Eccos I wear.  Can this small of a detail impact scoring?  Can this small of a detail confirm I'm nuts for even considering it?  We all talk about comfort and durability so is this even a consideration for anyone?

I'm curious if others have noticed better scoring from a pair of shoes?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Absolutely. I fit a guy who was wearing extremely comfortable, walking, spineless shoes and he noticed that his scores were going up. We didn’t find him any new driver distance, but I mentioned that his feet were constantly moving. He tried some tour 360s and his handicap immediately began to drop.
If your feet hurt during a round or you’re not getting the traction that you want, shoes can play a big part in helping with that.
Foot joy did their shoe testing with their tour pros and found that some guys picked up almost 10 yards just by switching shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

5 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

Absolutely. I fit a guy who was wearing extremely comfortable, walking, spineless shoes and he noticed that his scores were going up. We didn’t find him any new driver distance, but I mentioned that his feet were constantly moving. He tried some tour 360s and his handicap immediately began to drop.
If your feet hurt during a round or you’re not getting the traction that you want, shoes can play a big part in helping with that.
Foot joy did their shoe testing with their tour pros and found that some guys picked up almost 10 yards just by switching shoes.

Last fall, I ended up walking 18 in a pair of dockers. my feet were moving all over the place as well. Back to my FJ's! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I too have a few pairs in the rotation and indeed gravitate to the one pair of the three that has 4 cleats on the heel rather than 2 cleats. These just feel better for me overall and I wind up wearing them more often. Do I score better in them? That's up for debate, but since I feel better in them, it's one less distraction from the game.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I think there was an old post, that I may have started, on this topic.

Studies have shown that the stability of the shoe and the individual golfers needs may impact the performance of a golfer.

Have I seen this, not really since I don’t have multiple pairs of golf shoes and when replacing I just go with the updated model. Been wearing FJ Contours as long as I can remember.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes, absolutely!!  I have been wearing True Linkswear shoes for at least 8 years.  I love the zero drop.  The last couple of years True shoes have been well... less than durable.  Frankly, their quality sucked IMO.  I haven't tried the their new Original shoe, but I probably will.

This past summer I bought a pair of Skechers GoGolf Elite V.3 - LUX.  Super comfortable for walking just like Kuchar says.  However, the heel is higher than I was used to, and I hit more bad shots when wearing them.  I only wore them to the range, and played in a pair of old Trues.  Eventually, I got used to the Skechers, and now I wear them all the time.  It just took time to get used to the change.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yes, absolutely!!  I have been wearing True Linkswear shoes for at least 8 years.  I love the zero drop.  The last couple of years True shoes have been well... less than durable.  Frankly, their quality sucked IMO.  I haven't tried the their new Original shoe, but I probably will.
This past summer I bought a pair of Skechers GoGolf Elite V.3 - LUX.  Super comfortable for walking just like Kuchar says.  However, the heel is higher than I was used to, and I hit more bad shots when wearing them.  I only wore them to the range, and played in a pair of old Trues.  Eventually, I got used to the Skechers, and now I wear them all the time.  It just took time to get used to the change.

May I suggest we are such finely tuned athletes these small changes have major implications?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I think golf shoes make a difference. The ones with spikes that is. I tried spikeless a few years ago and didn't like playing in them. My foot slipped once or twice. Just this past Monday a friend I was playing with was wearing some sort of running shoe it looked like. I recall him complaining after slipping and missing a shot due to his choice of shoe that day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

May I suggest we are such finely tuned athletes these small changes have major implications?

Yes!  😉  When I first put the Skechers on, it felt like I was wearing those platform shoes from the '70's (not that I did, that you know of).  I don't know that the difference in height really affected the bottom of my swing, but my balance was affected.

I have both spiked and spikeless shoes.  I don't slip much unless the grass is really wet.  I will wear spiked only when riding; spikeless are much more comfortable when walking.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Shoes can absolutely make a huge difference. Similar to your higher heels, when I wear spiked shoes, I'm a little bit higher off the ground, and I hit a lot of thin shots. 

Also, the comfortability of shoes matters in the golf swing. I had an uncomfortable pair of FJ's that raised my scores, and after switching to Ecco's my scores dropped immediately.  

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Yes I second the comfortable factor. But having said that I’ve never tried on a pair of golf shoes that weren’t instantly comfortable right out the box. Aside from the occasional order online where you didn’t know they ran big or small of course. Assuming the right size golf shoes are some of the most comfortable shoes you can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...

I know a poor fitting shoe and spikeless shoes both hurt my performance but I’ve played well in plenty of different brands and models of shoes that had a good fit so definitely could see there being a performance gain in the right circumstances.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• 2 weeks later...

Ball flight with my two favorite shoes:

True Linkswear: Most of the time, a straight ball but a pull/draw will find it's way in because the zero drop allows weight to be shifted to the heel. However, my best putting days are in my True Knits. 

Nike Lunar Control: Baby fades because the heel is higher and my weight during the swing is more on the balls of the feet. Putting suffers a bit (I find I push the ball more) but the ball flight is consistent and the draw is no where to be found. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Ball flight with my two favorite shoes:
True Linkswear: Most of the time, a straight ball but a pull/draw will find it's way in because the zero drop allows weight to be shifted to the heel. However, my best putting days are in my True Knits. 
Nike Lunar Control: Baby fades because the heel is higher and my weight during the swing is more on the balls of the feet. Putting suffers a bit (I find I push the ball more) but the ball flight is consistent and the draw is no where to be found. 

Carry both pairs or wear one of each and you’ve got it figured out.

In the bag

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

On 2/8/2019 at 10:55 PM, EthanSterlingPrice said:

Carry both pairs or wear one of each and you’ve got it figured out.

In the bag

Gig’em Aggies!

Well the Podiatrist gave me two options...wear the Nike and play the fade or wear the Trues and enjoy plantar fasciitis, strained ligaments and other foot problems due to the lack of support I need. Needless to say, the Trues are some of the best shoes I've worn, but they are on the shelf permanently. Nike, or other supportive golf shoes, from here on out! 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

On 1/3/2019 at 8:48 AM, Wedgie said:

I'm curious if others have noticed better scoring from a pair of shoes?

I only have one pair of golf shoes so no comparative data but, like @txgolfjunkie, I need good shoes to keep plantar fasciitis at bay. After ditching my older spiked Footjoy's about 6 years ago, I tried just playing in decent quality tennis shoes and soon was dealing with my first bout of PF.  I walk quite a few of my rounds, so in addition to having good support to counter the stress/strain of the swing, I need quality shoes for walking.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I think so. I play my best golf, believe it or not, in FJ golf sandals.

Their traction on the turf is fantastic but because they're sandals, there is some play in the footbed. Nothing crazy, just a little play.

So what this does is force me to swing within myself rather than, well... swing outta my sandals.

Before last season, I hadn't ever used them outside of Myrtle Beach and that was only for a week at a time while there. Because my back was worsening, I theorized that they may slow me down and I used them for the first time in at least 5-6 years and outside of Myrtle Beach.

Went on to have my best scoring year ever, by far. Obliterated my PB by 5 strokes and went on to beat that former PB numerous times.

LOL... golf sandals. Who knew?

7 hours ago, Will_Mac said:

I think so. I play my best golf, believe it or not, in FJ golf sandals. emoji39.png

Their traction on the turf is fantastic but because they're sandals, there is some play in the footbed. Nothing crazy, just a little play.

So what this does is force me to swing within myself rather than, well... swing outta my sandals. emoji6.png

Before last season, I hadn't ever used them outside of Myrtle Beach and that was only for a week at a time while there. Because my back was worsening, I theorized that they may slow me down and I used them for the first time in at least 5-6 years and outside of Myrtle Beach.

Went on to have my best scoring year ever, by far. Obliterated my PB by 5 strokes and went on to beat that former PB numerous times.

LOL... golf sandals. Who knew?

I wore FJ sandals constantly a few years ago - but abandoned them after they got loose and filled with  sand that accumulated under my soles. Guess I spent too much time in the bunkers. I still occasionally drag them out on really hot humid days. 

Glad they work for you. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

About a decade ago, at a swanky member-guest, I was put into some really comfy and cool looking Nike air max something or other. I strapped them on for the first round and the super built up heel significantly impacted my weight transition. With my weight favoring the balls of my feet, everything below my waist was naturally encouraged to move toward the ball. I say naturally now, but on that day believed something very unnatural was going on when my lazy draw suddenly presented as an unshakable push fade. In those days, my golf swing was a known variable. But despite feeling like I was putting the exact same swing on it the day before, having a thick wedge underheel was totally changing my weight transfer. We got a bunch of rain that night between rounds and I went back to my old shoes for the muddy second round. My shot pattern returned to normal and I didn’t recognize any correlation until a week later when I pulled the Nikes out for a range session and the push fade popped up immediately.

After that I started looking into “heel drop” theory and True Linkswear was (at the time) the only company actively funneling R&D in that area. I spent the next 10 years enjoying the benefits of a TRUE zero drop platform while simultaneously being consistently disappointed with the quality on anything outside their top tier products. Did they make the most comfortable shoe? No, but it was high in the running for lightest and as someone who follows a “from the ground up” approach to swing theory, the difference in True Linkswear vs everything else was tangible enough for me to prioritize scorecard before comfort.

I still have (2) fresh pairs of True Classixs in the closet to wear out before I need to go shopping but their newly released Major line may prove too tempting. Bottom line and back to the point, zero drop-vs-wedge heel makes a difference in my game. Depending on your specific swing tendencies, I’m comfortable suggesting that employing a different heel configuration in your shoes can be an easy and effective option to change your swing from the ground up.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

• 2 weeks later...

This subject pops up in one variety or another every few months. The question, “can golf shoes make a difference” is much more broad than in previous posts. Yes! They absolutely can make a difference. There are folks out there who get no benefit from Golf shoes and because of how their swing has developed they actually play better without Golf specific shoes than they do with them. Still the majority of Golfers receive varying degrees of benefit from the traction gained from wearing Golf shoes.

I typically wear Golf shoes but there are days when I prefer a sneaker for comfort. On those days the ground must be neutral (not to wet and not to dry) or ill slip all over the place. I can control the slipping but it comes at a cost for I must be careful not to over torque my lower body thus losing distance and trajectory. There is no situation in which Golf shoes hinder my play. However, there are times tennis shoes simply won’t work for me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

• 1 month later...

Spikeless golf shoes feel way more comfortable to me than spiked. I've worn spiked shoes from FootJoy, NewBalance and Nike with the same results. By about hole 12, the balls of my feet hurt so bad that I can barely finish the round and my scores plummet. I bought NewBalance spikeless shoes that helped the discomfort but didn't totally get rid of it. This past January I bought spikeless Sketchers and have been pain free for about 15 rounds this year so far. My scores have also been consistently lower because I'm not having to make adjustments to my stance to be able to make a swing due to pain.

Driver: TS2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: 915 F stiff
3 Hybrid: 915 HD
4-PW: 710 AP2
Wedges: 50, 56, 60 Vokey SM6
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport M1

The short answer is: "Yes, shoes can definitely impact your score - especially if you play frequently, walk the majority of your rounds, and play in various conditions (i.e., hot, cold, dry, wet, and so on)."

The long answer: I noticed most folks on here rotate shoes, and that's great practice relative to other sports. Adopting training principles from running, the smart money is on rotating shoes to fit your condition. For example, wearing more heavy, cushioned shoes for long runs (rather than light, less cushioned shoes) is the way to go; save the lighter, less cushioned footwear for speed work so weight and sinking into the ground (from the added cushion) doesn't slow you down.

As an example, if you are a walker translating this mentality to golf, it's best to rotate shoes that fit the playing conditions (i.e., wearing spiked shoes in wet conditions, wearing spikeless shoes in dry conditions). If you shift your weight a lot and wear spikeless shoes in dew-y to wet conditions, you will likely slip. And, if you wear spiked shoes on rock hard ground, you will likely slip as well (or find it tougher to rotate into your front foot without feeling like your ankle is rolling).

For me, having the right golf shoes is critical. I have went through quite a few shoes the last couple of years trying to find the right one. I now have the True Linkswear True Majors and play so much better when I'm wearing them. I've actually went to the range to to test if I hit the ball better with them vs other shoes. I rotated through 4 different pairs of golf shoes and every time I put the True Majors back on my ball striking instantly improved. It's probably all in my head but they just make my footwork and balance so much better. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Back on January 3rd I mentioned that I prefer golf shoes with spikes/cleats, But.... I've changed my mind. I recently purchased a pair of Sketchers shoes. These are not golf shoes. Just light weight "athletic" shoes I suppose. Flat soles. Very comfortable too. I've now played three rounds and loving them. I couldn't find them online to show you but I purchased them at the Sketchers Outlet. $49.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I spent 20 years wearing crappy shoes on the steel decks of submarines.  Needless to say, my feet weren't well cared for.  Now, I buy for support and comfort.  My golf shoes must be as comfortable as they are functional.  Sadly, I require a wider shoe and many companies don't offer them and those that do, don't offer the full line in wide.  I have found TrueLinks and Sketcher to provide the comfort and functionality I need in wider sizes.  Some FJ also work well for me.  As long as the shoes are golf shoes, I've been just fine with spikeless shoes without having issues slipping except on some wet mornings.  

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I certainly have one pair of shoes that I seem to play worse in.  Puma Titantours.  Not sure what the deal is, other than it feels a little like I have less stability from heel to toe when standing over the ball at address.  I also think a good bit of it is in my head, because I have shot good rounds in those shoes, it just seems like I shoot more poor rounds than good.  Also, I don't seem to have that problem in the FJs or Skechers that I wear.

~Rock

• 1 month later...

I haven't played 'better' with certain shoes, BUT I have played terribly with certain shoe fits. I had badly fitting FootJoy shoes that let my feet 'slide' inside the shoe resulting in upper body swings only as I felt I was standing on ice.

As long as a shoe is comfortable and snug fitting with decent sole grip that's all I need.

In a heatwave a pair of trainers works just as well for me.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"