TESTERS WANTED! ×

Can golf shoes impact scoring?

Wedgie

Yes, shoes make actual difference. 

Golf shoes are a good idea, however, because they are engineered to keep your feet from sliding around during the golf swing. That means a good-fitting pair of golf shoes should prevent your feet from sliding around inside the shoe, and also should prevent your shoes from sliding out from under you during the swing.

A golf swing exerts downward, lateral and rotational pressure on your feet. So having golf shoes, which are designed specifically to handle those forces while keeping your feet in place, is a plus. A swing in which one or both of your feet slip or slide is a swing almost guaranteed to produce a poor-to-terrible golf shot. And beginning golfers have enough of those already.

Now, I am using Skechers Go Golf Elite Shoes for about 4 months. 

Skechers Go Golf Elite Shoes.jpg

On 7/28/2019 at 6:24 PM, DaisyGolfsHub said:

Golf shoes are a good idea, however, because they are engineered to keep your feet from sliding around during the golf swing. That means a good-fitting pair of golf shoes should prevent your feet from sliding around inside the shoe, and also should prevent your shoes from sliding out from under you during the swing.

A golf swing exerts downward, lateral and rotational pressure on your feet. So having golf shoes, which are designed specifically to handle those forces while keeping your feet in place, is a plus. A swing in which one or both of your feet slip or slide is a swing almost guaranteed to produce a poor-to-terrible golf shot. And beginning golfers have enough of those already.

I've been wearing the Skechers GoGolf Elite V.3 LX for a year, and I'm happy.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2019 at 3:24 AM, DaisyGolfsHub said:

Having a right shoe is very important if you ask me. I've been using exactly the same model for quite a while.

Very happy with it.

On 1/3/2019 at 10:48 AM, Wedgie said:

I'm curious if others have noticed better scoring from a pair of shoes?

I would say definitely. I played much better with steel spikes than I ever did after they were discontinued for no good reason.

The fact that I was getting older had nothing to do with it. It was definitely the shoes.

Ok, here are the shoes I played almost all of 2019 in. I started this year saying I could only play in "Golf Shoes". But I decided to try something else early on and they worked! Better than expected. My game didn't suffer one bit. In fact I played some of my best golf in these shoes. Now, I'll also say that these aren't for everyone. They're not water-proof and do not provide much in the way of lateral movement support. So if you play where you seem to find yourself on uneven - sloping ground you will probably not like these shoes. I play in a dry climate and the terrain is fairly flat. Comfort? Excellent. Cool in the summer? Yes. Damage to greens? None! Expensive? No.

IMG_20200119_145505000.jpg

IMG_20200119_145527288_MP.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I shared my thoughts on wedge heel -vs- zero-drop in this thread awhile back but have a new subject to run past errrbody.

It sounded like somewhat of a generalization and I’m sure there are caveats related to individual swing tendencies, but on an episode of NPG awhile back, Tony referenced some data suggesting that golfers are sacrificing ~5 yards off the tee in a spikeless sole compared to soft spikes.

What do my fellow Spies think of that general assertion?

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

3 hours ago, downlowkey said:

I shared my thoughts on wedge heel -vs- zero-drop in this thread awhile back but have a new subject to run past errrbody.

It sounded like somewhat of a generalization and I’m sure there are caveats related to individual swing tendencies, but on an episode of NPG awhile back, Tony referenced some data suggesting that golfers are sacrificing ~5 yards off the tee in a spikeless sole compared to soft spikes.

I'm willing to believe it.  I know deep down that spiked shoes give you better traction, but I have yet to find a pair that do not leave my feet looking like ground beef when I walk a round in them.  After the NPG segment, I am willing to buy a pair strictly for cart rounds.

I've also toyed with the idea of buying a pair of really stiff trail running shoes for casual walking rounds.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I believe it, downlow, I have several pairs of both, including two pairs of high tops. I rotate, depending on the time of day and ground conditions. Wet sloppy ground calls for hightop pumas or FJ Dryjoy Tours. Both are cleated to provide ground support. Afternoon rounds usually call for clear less shoes with dryer conditions.

#CobraCONNECT using the new F8’s from Cobra

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

If you’re a walker/rider like I am, and want traction without giving up strokes, consider Trail Running shoes and you might just be surprised at how comfortable and grippy they are without the feeling of sloping one way or the other.

Current Bag....

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* Stiff

Mizuno F60 4FW

Titleist 818 3Hyb XS

Honma TW747 4Hyb XS

Mizuno MP32s, 5-PW, TTDGS100

Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 Wedges

TA Impact #2 

17 hours ago, pgfree33 said:

If you’re a walker/rider like I am, and want traction without giving up strokes, consider Trail Running shoes and you might just be surprised at how comfortable and grippy they are without the feeling of sloping one way or the other.

Great profile pic!

Go Pokes!

#golfschool

DRIVER: PXG Proto 0811 X - Graphite Design Tour AD GP7x +1/2"

3W: Taylormade SIM Rocket - Graphite Design Tour AD GP6s

HYBRID: PXG 0317X 17* - PX HC Hzrdus Black 6.5 (shelved)

IRONS: PXG Gen 3 0311T 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1" | PXG Gen 2 0311P 3-4 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

WEDGES: PXG Forged 54, PXG Sugar Daddy 58 - KBS C-Taper Lite 115g X-Stiff +1"

PUTTER: Taylormade MySpider X - 36.00" 3* Loft 71* Lie

On 1/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, pgfree33 said:

@pgfree33 - Any recommendations?  I'd love to try out a pair, but I have no idea what to buy.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I don’t believe so as long as grip is adequate you’re fine. Having said that it seems a few companies no ones ever heard of have claimed massive distance gains with their shoe. I’m not believing the hype. I’d say if you have enough grip and aren’t slipping all over the differences are negated. Cleated shoes feel like I’m tearing acl’s or something lol. The zero drop shoes with nubs are my choice of shoes like crocs golf, sketchers, Ecco, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Has anyone tried wearing turf shoes for a round? I was looking around and noticed that none of the current offerings for golf spikes really peak my interests(at least in the price range I'm looking at). I have noticed though that there are some cool looking turf shoes (UA Harper Turf to be exact) and was curious if anybody has any thoughts, comments, or experience using them for golf?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

• 4 weeks later...

It does affect scoring. When my old shoe split open while running I was quite depressed because I was already comfortable wearing it but when I bought a new nike I noticed that my score has been improving. I guess I was wearing the wrong shoes for 4 years. 

Edited by luzcarter

• 3 months later...

Well, this thread certainly gives me a lot to think about.  I've pondered about switching from spikeless to spiked shoes to see if it makes any difference.  My feet definitely move around a lot.  

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

To be honest, I think most of it is in your swing and in your head. I have shot 35 in spikes and a 37 in flip flops. I know that might shock some of you that a club would allow flip flops. I personally like flops because the force be to slow down my swing. If I swing too hard, well you can imagine. I have also played in an amateur tournament and and shot an 87. However if your SS is 110+ you might wanna get some grips. When I’m comfy I play better. It’s all mental. You do you and do what makes you hit more fairways and greens. 

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

• 3 weeks later...

For sure, I have found that switching shoe brands comes with score changes. I had one pair of shoes that I could not consistently score in. Found out that it was due to that shoe being slightly higher than my normal shoes so it felt strange addressing the ball.  I have since consolidated my shoes to essentially 1 brand and 3 styles for the course. Long term I would like to get down to 2 styles, but we aren't quite there yet.

Over the years I have found golf is about eliminating as many variables you can control as possible and what you wear on your feet seems like a no brainer

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

I agree with the comfort statement. For myself, it's not necessarily the grip that affects my swing. But when my feet hurt at the 14th hole to a point where I pause to rest, it makes me rush the rest of the round...which leads to higher scores.

To be honest, I think most of it is in your swing and in your head. I have shot 35 in spikes and a 37 in flip flops. I know that might shock some of you that a club would allow flip flops. I personally like flops because the force be to slow down my swing. If I swing too hard, well you can imagine. I have also played in an amateur tournament and and shot an 87. However if your SS is 110+ you might wanna get some grips. When I’m comfy I play better. It’s all mental. You do you and do what makes you hit more fairways and greens. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• 2 months later...

I usually use several pairs of shoes as I am a dew sweeper and play 4 to 5 mornings a week during the week. Lately I have been changing between my Sketcher Mojo Elite and a pair fo spineless Eccos. I noticed that my scores averaged 1.5 strokes better with the Sketchers as I know the Eccos are super comfortable but provide what I would say is poor traction. I just bought a pair of Sqairz spiked shoes. OMG, the grip. I used them the first time and tied my best score of the year , an 84, and that is with a triple bogey on 17. I think shoes absolutely make a difference. The better the grip the more comfortable you will be swinging faster while maintaining balance and posture. Also the better contact you will make based on feet not moving. Shoes are part of the whole system. While it is arguable whether you will hit it longer (not sure) I think one can be more consistent.

Mitchell Heller            

All lefty

Taylormade Stealth Plus - KBS TD 50 gram Regular flex. Sometimes Autoflex 405

Taylormade Stealth 3HL Fairway wood - Ventus Red Regular flex

Taylormade Stealth 4 and 5 hybrid Ventus Red Regular Flex

PXG 28 degree hybrid KBS TGI 70 Regular flex

Taylormade P790 6,7,8,9,P 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex

Taylormade MG3 50  and 54 degree 3 degrees flat - Ventus Red Regular Flex          Taylormade MG 60 degree - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge Shaft

LAB MEZZ 1 putter

OnCore ELIXR 2020

• 4 months later...

for me, the shoes make all the difference in confidence......i cannot wear spikeless. I slipped in spikeless one time and almost tore my knee up.....unless i am at Augusta, i wont risk this again. For me, spiked shoes are everything in maintaining a solid base and generating power.  

Golf is cool