Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Driver Distance

LeftyHawk

As I was cutting some wood for an inlay project I had the Golf Channel going in the back ground. The topic of discussion was the young guys on the tour and how far they were hitting it off the tee. They showcased one (don't remember his name) who was averaging about 350 off the tee. The question asked of all at the table was "how far is too far?'. Of course the talk turned to how on the older courses on the tour these guys are hitting driver and wedge into the hole, that's it; no longer about "shot making" but rather about distance off the tee. And that's what brings people to the tournaments is "bombing the tee shot".

I don't know about ya'll but I'd rather see some great shot making around the green and not standing at the tee box to see someone knock it 300 + yards, heck I wouldn't see the ball that far, I'd probably loose it at about 250 !!! There was also some talk on what to do to the older courses, lengthen the holes? In my opinion if you move the champion tee 20 yards to one side that would make if more difficult, if not more interesting.

So, where do ya'll stand, bomb it off the tee or finesse around the green?

Chris

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

It’s easy enough to pinch fairways or change angles as you’ve suggested.

Just don’t monkey with my equipment, balance things out via course conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I believe the correct term would be - The Three Club Tour. I've become somewhat disenchanted with the pros. It's basically driver, wedge, putter. All freaking day. You know anybody that plays golf like that? I don't. Well, I might occasionally on a few holes at my home course. But even then not always. I think the tour ought to move away from shorter courses. There's plenty of monsters out there. Heck I was in Birmingham a couple of months ago and Ross Bridge is something like 8,100 from the tips. Let's put the pros on those courses. Who knows; you might even see one of them hit a seven iron. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

That was Cameron champ.

as to the distance thing just look at the Ryder cup and how bad the big knickers played.  Soften the fairways, narrow the landing areas, add bunkers, lots of design stuff that can be done. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I was texting some HS hoops teammates earlier about how Michigan’s point guard “carries” the ball like it’s his job, and he never gets called for it. I then texted about how I watched Hardwood Classics the other day, ‘92 Finals between MJ and Magic, and how they blew the whistle a BUNCH for “traveling”. My buddies texted me back, “It’s a new era.”
That’s what I have to think here as well. I may not like it, but it is what it is.

TXG just did a video and they mentioned how some of us have been able to stay just as long as we were some years back due to golf tech, and it’s possible this younger generation won’t because tech may not be able to advance much further. At some point, the Tours need to change set-ups to challenge these guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I want to go back to the day of going for a par 5 in two was a huge deal, par 4s that are driver and a long iron, and a long hitter was a freak of nature.

Being bored at home recoveeing from surgery, I watched every shot in Maui today. Driver...wedge...putt....

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

17 hours ago, pulledabill said:

I want to go back to the day of going for a par 5 in two was a huge deal, par 4s that are driver and a long iron, and a long hitter was a freak of nature.

Being bored at home recoveeing from surgery, I watched every shot in Maui today. Driver...wedge...putt....

We must have been watching at different times because it's as if we were watching two different tournaments.  I saw lots of mid irons into greens and very few players reaching 18 in two.  I saw guys having to curve the ball both ways to fight the wind, land the ball on very specific spots if they wanted to get it close and with tons of options around the green, going up to take the break out of using the contour to hope to kick the ball to the hole. 

What more do you guys want?

I guarantee that you won't see a lot of long irons because lots of players don't have long irons in their bags, at least what would traditionally be considered a long iron.  They have hybrids, cross overs and driving irons.  However in the tale of reverse loft jacking when they are hitting 6 its very similar to the long iron 4 of yester year.  So just realize that when you are seeing 5,6,7 irons you are seeing longer to middle irons being played just like you saw on Shell's Wonderful World of Golf last week.

I go to Valspar every year - I see plenty of middle irons and there is always a par 5 that can't be reached and one that can by everyone - it depends upon the wind direction as to which is which.  There are a couple of par 4's that require a lay up to 200 yards so you will see mid irons (that are long irons.)  Follow groups around and you will see every club in the bag.

When you call a club with 43 on the bottom of it called "wedge" you are going to see more wedges than you used to.  That club used to be an 8 - think of it that way if you have to.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived