TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Thread

null

They are great looking irons!  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

• 2 years later...

Older thread, but I just got a set off of Callaway’s Pre-Owned site at the beginning of this season. I got the Combo set and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced some hot shots- I get some big dispersion numbers with respect to distance. For instance, my 8 Iron has gone 166-185; a 7 iron between 167-190. Of course my Arccos numbers are based on limited data (3 rounds), but I was wondering if anyone else finds the Apex to be a little inconsistent distance wise? 

E6954690-1AA5-4C70-8A2C-24663C389EDE.jpeg

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

27 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

Older thread, but I just got a set off of Callaway’s Pre-Owned site at the beginning of this season. I got the Combo set and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced some hot shots- I get some big dispersion numbers with respect to distance. For instance, my 8 Iron has gone 166-185; a 7 iron between 167-190. Of course my Arccos numbers are based on limited data (3 rounds), but I was wondering if anyone else finds the Apex to be a little inconsistent distance wise? 

Your at about a 20 yard pattern depth.  What is your expectation?    As a 9 cap, that probably isn't too bad; You are hitting these irons in PGA pro distance ranges and they have about a 15 yard depth.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

22 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Your at about a 20 yard pattern depth.  What is your expectation?    As a 9 cap, that probably isn't too bad; You are hitting these irons in PGA pro distance ranges and they have about a 15 yard depth.  

My expectation is not to be surprised. While I understand an over hit (because of a pull or flyer lie) is part of the game, I was never able to hit my old irons (Taylor Made TP Cavity Back) 20 or 30 yards further per iron. 

CC7043DC-A369-4F41-A051-CC02B669FAB6.jpeg

Edited by DukeStKing

33 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

My expectation is not to be surprised. While I understand an over hit (because of a pull or flyer lie) is part of the game, I was never able to hit my old irons (Taylor Made TP Cavity Back) 20 or 30 yards further per iron. 

That wasn't my question but we mishit balls so they end up shorter than expectations and as you mentioned the pull left that goes longer.   I don't think you have enough rounds to truly assess your data.     But to better answer your original question; when doing most wanted testing I occasionally find irons that have hot spots and the ball travels farther than expected.  Callaway is one brand that seems to have the occasional hot shot. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

That wasn't my question but we mishit balls so they end up shorter than expectations and as you mentioned the pull left that goes longer.   I don't think you have enough rounds to truly assess your data.     But to better answer your original question; when doing most wanted testing I occasionally find irons that have hot spots and the ball travels farther than expected.  Callaway is one brand that seems to have the occasional hot shot. 

You’re absolutely right about the data- I need more rounds using the Arccos. The sensors confirmed my initial impression of the Callaways- that they were much hotter than my previous set- and it’s not just the jacked lofts. I think the hotter face is what contributes to the forgiveness. I’ve been very impressed that the compact heads (especially in the Pro version) are as forgiving as my much bigger Taylor Made TP Cavity backs. Thanks for your responses. 

2 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

. I got the Combo set and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced some hot shots-

Been an issue with the apex all the way back to the 2014 release 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Been an issue with the apex all the way back to the 2014 release 

I have owned three sets of the older Apex Pros, the second version from 2016 and just got a set of the 19s and have not had one issue with hot spots on them.  I did have this issue in the month that I played the Rogue Pros but that could also have been a shaft issue for me, but they did not last long at all in the bag.  

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

12 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

I have owned three sets of the older Apex Pros, the second version from 2016 and just got a set of the 19s and have not had one issue with hot spots on them.  I did have this issue in the month that I played the Rogue Pros but that could also have been a shaft issue for me, but they did not last long at all in the bag.  

You hit the ball in the same spot;  those of us that use the whole face occasionally find “hot” spots. 😂 I have noticed it during most wanted testing, but mats could be an explanation.   Don’t have any on course experience with them 

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You hit the ball in the same spot;  those of us that use the whole face occasionally find “hot” spots. 😂 I have noticed it during most wanted testing, but mats could be an explanation.   Don’t have any on course experience with them 

I would argue that point but you are not wrong.....most of the time.  

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

43 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

2016 and 2019 versions werent nearly as bad as 2014 but the issue is there. For some it’s related to the one swing out of a bunch that find the center with the right amount of compression, for others with better face control and make swing that regularly compress the ball won’t see it as often. There’s plenty of experiences with the issue across the internet from all level of golfers. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

2016 and 2019 versions werent nearly as bad as 2014 but the issue is there. For some it’s related to the one swing out of a bunch that find the center with the right amount of compression, for others with better face control and make swing that regularly compress the ball won’t see it as often. There’s plenty of experiences with the issue across the internet from all level of golfers. 

Not saying it isn’t an issue for some just saying I never had the issue and played the irons extensively.  Now the little plastic things on the heads of the 14 Apex Pros flying off every other round was a huge problem. I think I still have a dozen and a half of them in my shop from when I played those irons. 

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking irons but after playing them for a number of rounds I found to be nice feeling, forgiving and super loud.  The click sound on them is so bad I sold them and purchased another set of forged irons which are better anyway.  Mizuno MP20 HMB's are so nice.

TaylorMade SIM2 woods, PXG 5 wood, TaylorMade Wedges, Mizuno irons, Scotty Cameron putter and TP5/ProV1x golf balls. 

Club Champ and Long Drive Champ.