jlukes

2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Thread

Hit both the Apex and the Apex pro a few weeks ago. There was no real distance difference between the two irons. The Apex went a little higher, but I expected there to be more of a difference between the two. They both felt good, but I wouldn’t say they had the “soft” feel of a forging. It would be pretty tough to get a cup faced iron to feel super soft. They were both very accurate!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Took mine out for a test run yesterday.  I hit them fairly well but still getting used to them.  Solid feel, high launch, a bit longer than my previous Mizuno JPX 850 irons, but that's expected as they're stronger lofted.  I have KBS Tour Graphite shafts installed 1/2 longer than standard.  

• Like 2

OK, played a full round with the clubs today and I really like the iron.  The ball jumps off the face, rather high trajectory, but good distance.  Even my misses were not punishing shots.  My most common miss was a dead pull that flew straight -- obviously, not a knock on the iron, but on my swing.  Punched a six iron under the trees to the green.  Chipped with a nine iron for a tap in par.  Full swing with a 7 iron left me 8 feet above the hole (missed the putt).  All in all...I like 'em!

• Like 1

I hit these at my clubs demo day and decided to get a set. I went with the combo Apex/Apex Pro with the elevate 95 shaft. Long and High and very stable. I'm lefty so they are back ordered. Can't wait to get them!

• Like 1

Had a chance to hit both this week, and I definitely liked the Apex Pro more. I had a more difficult time controlling distances and the trajectories for knockdown shots with the Apex. However, I felt the Apex were very easy to hit. 

I do not like "butter soft" irons, and the Apex Pro gave me the feels I wanted as they were not incredibly buttery. I felt in control of my shots, my mishits did not give me poor dispersion results, and the shape just fit my eyes. My only real knock is I wish they came in a satin or raw finish... Enough of the chrome already!

Posted (edited)

I recently tried both the callaway apex and apex pro irons and found that the original apex were more consistent than the pro version.  This was just my feel though, everyone has their own feel for clubs and what they like.  If you like more of a players iron that has a smaller head then the pros might be for you but if you like the look of the bigger head and you find that that makes it easier to hit consistent shots on a bigger face then the original apex is a good option.  Both iron are very nice clubs and a great option if you are looking for clubs but there are very slight differences between these clubs so if you are considering buying one or the other you should try both before buying.

Edited by 21dylan

All I know is that I'm really liking my Apex CF19 irons.  I had them custom fit at Club Champion with KBS Tour Graphite shafts, 1/2 inch long and 3 up at D5.  Previously, I was playing Mizuno JPX 850 irons, 1/4 inch long stock graphite, standard lie, D2. 

My regular playing partner has remarked that he's going to have to step up his own game now that I'm firing my ball at the pin much better than before.

I finally got my combo set and all I can say is wow... very forgiving and they go a mile with high ball flight. The lofts are almost too strong for me and I may have to dial them back. Hitting 195-200 yrd 5 irons which is almost 2 clubs stronger than my TM770's. Great turf interaction. If you are coming from a traditional forged set, there are not buttery soft as many describe, although not as harsh as a cast club. The elevate 95 performs as its name says and I'm getting great trajectory with these - have been a lower trajectory hitter in the past. Shot 78 on my first two rounds with these!

I cannot say enough good things about the Apex 19 irons. I use the 6-AW and every club has been money. I have never hit my irons this consistently well. Before getting them I was considering going all hybrids as I was just so disappointed by my play. Thought hasn't crossed my mind since this purchase. 

I just hit these last night and was absolutely blown away by them!  These irons feel like butter, but still keep their consistency and accuracy.  Callaway really did a great job with these irons!