Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters Thread

null

Hmmm. Face-tech is “where it’s at” in the last number of putter tests here at MGS. Face-tech doesn’t seem to be part of the Stroke Lab story, so it’s going to be interesting to see how these do in testing this year.
Having gone through the Edel putter fitting, I’m a firm believer in their fitting, which was confirmed 2 years after fitting when I did a SAM session last summer. Buying off the rack for a putter, with the one club that carries almost 50% of one’s strokes on-course, is just crazy. Feel, looks, etc, are all great, but fitting still needs to be done. I’ll give a Stroke Lab a go at CC in the Spring to see what it’s all about, but I just don’t see how they can match the specific weighting needed in the grip, head, and shaft that Edel does with theirs. We’ll see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

While face tech had been a big topic, I am guessing that this is Odyssey’s answer to the stability shaft. Waiting for the MGS analysis on the testing to see if there is any improvement; I think I was basically the same with and without the stability shaft but I didn’t dig into the numbers a lot.

I am eager to try these out during the testing and see how the combo works

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The Exo line has never done anything for me but I will try out the Stroke Lab Ray Cook..uh, I mean Yes! Putter..., dang it I mean "Tuttle" for sure. The Tuttle. Will definitely try the Tuttle.
Snark aside, I've always liked that head shape and will definitely give it a shot

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I can't believe the Tuttle is back... it's unreal. Also interested to see how people respond to R-Ball as well. I'm never really thinking of putter replacements, but these will get a roll when I see them at the shop or at the local golf show.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

• SPY VIP

These putters are the real deal. Face tech is there a bit as Odyssey has improved their insert from last year. It's not going to fix distance or accuracy like the ENROLL or PING faces, but White Hot lovers should appreciate how they have tweaked it to match the original.

It's my understanding that the Stability Shaft is really about increasing stiffness and with that consistency. The Stroke Lab shaft essentially makes all putters counterbalanced without adding the typical counterbalancing weight. Reasonable putter weights are then possible. It is also stiffer than a typical steel shaft, so those benefits are there too.

I've rolled a lot of putters through the years here at MGS, and rarely, if ever, have I felt a putter like the Toulon Atlanta S. Played three rounds with it so far and distance control is exceptional. Once I spend a bit more practice time on aiming, I expect this thing to be in my Top 10 ever list. Maybe Top 5.

Also, the EXO 2-Ball is beautiful in person...

EXO glamour shot.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

58 minutes ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

These putters are the real deal. Face tech is there a bit as Odyssey has improved their insert from last year. It's not going to fix distance or accuracy like the ENROLL or PING faces, but White Hot lovers should appreciate how they have tweaked it to match the original.

It's my understanding that the Stability Shaft is really about increasing stiffness and with that consistency. The Stroke Lab shaft essentially makes all putters counterbalanced without adding the typical counterbalancing weight. Reasonable putter weights are then possible. It is also stiffer than a typical steel shaft, so those benefits are there too.

I've rolled a lot of putters through the years here at MGS, and rarely, if ever, have I felt a putter like the Toulon Atlanta S. Played three rounds with it so far and distance control is exceptional. Once I spend a bit more practice time on aiming, I expect this thing to be in my Top 10 ever list. Maybe Top 5.

Also, the EXO 2-Ball is beautiful in person...

EXO glamour shot.jpg

That ATL is sweet, think it makes your permanent bag in February?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

5 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

I've liked the look of the Palm Beach since I saw it last May.  Hoping it has a lot of toe hang as it is something I would love to try and potentially game.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That R-Ball is going to get some reps from me. I don’t know why but I love the look of it.

Odyssey pushing it again with some interesting tech. No surprise they do so well on Tour.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The #7 looks dead sexy....might be time to replace the Metal x Milled #7

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I’m really curious to try these. Enjoyed the O-works but after switching to my EVNROLL I found I like a firmer feel. I will say I’m intrigued by the shaft in then.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

The mini 7 doesn’t look so mini.
IMG_2545.PNG

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

• SPY VIP

The EXO Mini is a bit narrower than the other two. The other #7 models are the small sevens, compared to some lines where the 7 is huge. Not too much difference in that photo for sure, but to me, it does look more compact at address.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

That ATL is sweet, think it makes your permanent bag in February?

There is a good chance this one is getting locked in. The QB10 is very close too, but the Atlanta just seems more balanced and consistent. My praise in the article was genuine based upon play. This putter is special. IMG_5080.JPG

Volvo Intorqueo

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the double wide flow neck last night. I was really looking forward to trying one of these putters since I am planning on updating the putter in my bag. This was the model I was interested in trying since it was closest to fitting my stroke needs.

Maybe I am not that sensitive to feel but I didn’t notice any magical difference with this putter. With putting it is a long term proposition to save strokes so I may not actually notice anything. The face on this putter is firmer than the o-works but still not something that I would typically gravitate toward. I like a firmer feel.

I did like that it had a lot of toe hang which helps with my left miss.

Overall the putters look nice and for someone looking for something between soft and firm feel this line might be good for you.

The shaft and tech story behind the shaft. Who knows, maybe we will see some separation in most wanted testing. But when rolling multiple putters and doing some self assessment I didn’t feel much difference but the subtleties May not be easy to perceive without electronic measurement. I was on target for short putts and for 20 footers I was hitting my line and getting good distance control across all the putters I tried.

• SPY VIP

Try the Toulon version. That’s where I saw the greatest difference. If you like a firmer feel, any insert will make the touch wonky IMO

Volvo Intorqueo

I intend to try the Toulon version,  just waiting for MGS to get them for testing.  

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the o works putter face tech really got the ball rolling quickly, but what intrigued me with these was the new strokelab shaft.  I've never been an odyssey putter guy as they just haven't done anything for me feel wise.  I find them a bit too harsh or soft and never that "goldilocks" feeling.  

I putted for about 15 minutes in the store in hopes to feel some difference in the shaft, and while I do think you notice a bit more on your strike, the shaft to me felt extremely light weight and I had more difficulty controlling speed than when I'd grab something else off the shelf.    I tried the stability shaft in club champion and noticed a much better feeling from that and my confidence grew with each stroke.  With the strokelab, I think I'd find myself losing feel and confidence if I had it as my putter.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I just had my first in-hand demo with the Stroke Lab 2ball, RBall and Tuttle.  The first noticeable difference was the actual feel of the head through the stroke.  I am a believer; you can truly feel the head weight through the stroke and control your speed. For the decelerating impact putters, this will be a huge benefit. 

I am now stumped however...I have no clue which head I want to pick.  I was going into this thinking R-Ball would be the clear front runner but the Tuttle was solid.  2-ball was an easy top 3 finisher.  

A few more rolls of this and I think I'll be pulling the trigger sooner than later.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I got to roll these at DSG the other day. Tried the 7, R-ball and one of the blades. I have an O-Works 7 and an ER2. Not sure if I feel like these would be a huge upgrade from my Oworks. Even with the stability shaft I didn’t feel much of a difference. Love the head shapes, but don’t know if I’d pay the price for it...

I got to roll these at DSG the other day. Tried the 7, R-ball and one of the blades. I have an O-Works 7 and an ER2. Not sure if I feel like these would be a huge upgrade from my Oworks. Even with the stability shaft I didn’t feel much of a difference. Love the head shapes, but don’t know if I’d pay the price for it...

$250 is a pretty good tag. Honestly I think they justify the cost with the new technology but I can see why others would disagree.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

$250 is a pretty good tag. Honestly I think they justify the cost with the new technology but I can see why others would disagree.

I agree with the cost matching the tech. I just don’t know if it’s worth it for me since I have an oworks. Don’t know if there’s that much of a difference for me to switch in terms of the amount of improvement I’d see. If I didn’t have an oworks already i might consider it more.

On 2/12/2019 at 3:55 PM, PAgolfer2017 said:

I agree with the cost matching the tech. I just don’t know if it’s worth it for me since I have an oworks. Don’t know if there’s that much of a difference for me to switch in terms of the amount of improvement I’d see. If I didn’t have an oworks already i might consider it more.

It was night at day for me with the Stroke Lab V Line compared to the O Works Black 2M that I had in the bag for most of last year.  It was actually really interesting to roll balls on the SAM Putt Lab and I really found out that the flow neck blades that I usually play are just not for me.  

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 1 month later...

I saw that you can order these as short as 32" Does anyone know if they add heavier weights into the ports to keep the swingweights consistent? I can't seem to find anything online.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Archived