TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Toulon Putters Thread

null

Looks like they will be coming with the odyssey stroke lab shafts as well.

I wish they would do sight dots without having to go through the garage. An azalea with no offset and a sight dot would be perfect

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The ATL has always been at the top of my list for a putter that will cause the wife to explode and I find myself sleeping on the couch for a week. And now with the stroke lab shaft available, I better go buy a more comfortable couch!  

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

Guess they dropped the Long Island from the line.  Glad I got mine while I was able to.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

Guess they dropped the Long Island from the line.  Glad I got mine while I was able to.

Same for the indy?   I know they have it in the EXO line, so maybe that's why. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Same for the indy?   I know they have it in the EXO line, so maybe that's why. 

Is it bad that I have one of those as well?

I need help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

5 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I need help.

That's ok. We all are aware of your affliction 🤣

It's just that this is the worst place for one in such a way to come for help...LOL

• SPY VIP
5 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

I need help.

OWN AS MANY PUTTERS AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!

-The Putter Ho's Preppers Survival Guide

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

That's ok. We all are aware of your affliction
It's just that this is the worst place for one in such a way to come for help...LOL

Who said I want help?

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

50 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

Who said I want help?

Then you're in the right place! No help here!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

2 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

Who said I want help?

Silly me 😎 Good point!! 

I want that ATL

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

8 hours ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

image.png

You can't have the Precious...

I’ll order my own, I want them to stamp YEEEEAAA on it for lil Jon though 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 4 months later...

I just went to the shop today to test the EVNROLL.  I expected to walk away with it.  I loved it but after testing the San Diego I didn't even bother picking up the EVNROLL again.

Edited by pilot25

10 hours ago, pilot25 said:

I just went to the shop today to test the EVNROLL.  I expected to walk away with it.  I loved it but after testing the San Diego I didn't even bother picking up the EVNROLL again.

Interesting, care to explain a little further? Was it the stroke lab shaft? Or did it just feel that good?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The back story is I haven't bought any equipment in 10+ years.  I also don't follow equipment trends and haven't played in 2 years.  I'm not a great player but not horrible either.  I decided to play again.  After a few trips to the range and few rounds on the course I decided it was time to get new stuff.  Went to get fitted for everything last month.

I was mostly a blank slate and let the fitter decide what I was going to purchase based on the monitor data.  The only stipulation was I wanted to try at least 5 different brands of each type of club.  Irons, Drivers, Woods.  I say mostly a blank slate because the only thing I assumed was TM was going to be the driver because everyone I saw, at the range or on the course, was using the M5 or M6.  The assumption was wrong.  I also didn't do a hybrid or putter fitting because I have always loved my old Bettinardi Baby Ben putter and saw no reason to get something new.  I hate hybrids but eventually realized my game isn't worthy of a 3 iron.  So I went back to get a hybrid fitting.  After doing the hybrid fitting I had some time to kill and decided to test this Evenroll putter I've been reading about.  I was skeptical because now I'm not a blank slate.  After the first fitting, I start reading about equipment.  I'm letting buzz about the putter enter my brain.  Nevertheless, I picked one up and tested it against my old Baby Ben.  I didn't see enough difference to justify a purchase.  I tried the Scotty Cameron, which everyone knows about.  However, same thing.  No difference.  I went around to all the different putters that I never heard about and landed on the Toulon about half way through all the choices.  Felt different, putted different.  About choked when I saw the price tag.  Put it down and moved on to try the others.  Everything else was no different than my old putter.  Went back to the Toulon and hit about 20 putts with it and 20 putts with my old putter and decided it was worth the price tag.  I didn't know anything about the shaft weight changes.  I just knew it was better than my old putter by a lot.  The feel was exceptional and the distance control seemed better for some reason.  After deciding to get it the fitter told me about the shaft and the feeling I had in my swing was probably due to the shaft weight being redistributed.  Whatever.  It feels really good and if it makes playing more pleasurable then I was in.  They don't do putter fittings so I was on my own deciding on mallet or blade.  Had enough of the mallet look so I was deciding between the Austin or San Diego.  Austin was a little too small so went with the San Diego.  I expect to play this equipment for the next 5-7 years before I do this all again so in the grand scheme $500 is acceptable for a club that is the most used club in a round.

Since I made these purchases I started looking at sites like MGS.  Maybe a little post purchase confirmation.  I spent a lot of money on new equipment and I guess I would like to make sure what I got is good.  Stupid, I know, but I guess its my human nature.

Hope that answers your question.

Edited by pilot25
spelling and grammer

the Toulan was better than the Bettinardi? wow.....where did you get fit? I'm a little shocked they didn't do putter fittings...especially since its the most used club in the bag.

Golf is cool

the Toulan was better than the Bettinardi? wow.....where did you get fit? I'm a little shocked they didn't do putter fittings...especially since its the most used club in the bag.

A reputable shop in the D.C region. I called around to all the fitters I thought would be of a good standard and none of them said they did a putter fitting on a monitor. Within 45 minutes of the center of D.C there are some highly regarded fitters and none has the ability to do a putter fitting on a monitor except Club Champion. I went in there and wasn't thrilled with the reception I got when I wanted to ask some questions about the fitting. Maybe they were having a bad day that day. The other places said they do putter fittings but not with computer aids. Maybe I just wasn't calling the right ones. GD magazine had them all rated in the top 100 at some point in the last 5 years or so. I was pretty surprised considering almost all of them used Trackman for fittings. I have to say the Trackman fitting I did for all the other clubs was amazing and eye opening. I had no idea how much tech is available for the average person. I've seen the pros using it on TV but I didn't realize the average Joe would get anything out of it too. Pretty neat. As far as the Toulon vs the Bettinardi, my Bettinardi is from the companies infancy. They were making putters for the Ben Hogan company at the time. 2002 I think. So I don't know how it compares to the Bettinardi's of today. I still think putters are a very personal choice and if I did get fitted and the data said get X vs the Toulon I probably still would have gotten the Toulon. In my opinion it was that good. But others in the store weren't as enamored with it as I. I'm old school and believe the putter is just too much of a personal preference vs. tech data results. 

I'll revise that post a little. I said I didn't know how my old Bettinardi compared to the new Bettinardi's. That isn't true. I did putt with one in the store. They only had one and I didn't see much of a difference from what I had. I wish I could say what the name of it was but I cannot. I do remember it had blue accents and thought it look pretty cool.

So I can't say I was comparing one new putter against another new putter. Maybe indirectly. I would pick up a new one. Hit 5 putts then hit 5 putts with mine. If there was something significant about it I would have put it aside to try some more. The only one of about 15 different ones was the Toulon. I also didn't hit every style of one type. If a certain brand blade was a turn off I didn't try the mallet of the same brand.

Not exactly scientific but it works for me.

I'm going to answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering.

Yes, it would be bad on a Toulon putter with StrokeLab shaft.  I was told by a Callaway/Odyssey rep that the only grip that is specifically designed for the StrokeLab shaft are the Odyssey Green and Yellow strokelab grips.  In order to get a replacement you need to go through a shop.

Really annoying......

I keep answering myself so I'm clearly crazy and taking this too far.

On another forum someone replaced their Oversized StrokeLab grip.  The weight is 41 grams.  It looks like it's probably 40 grams and there is a plastic shroud around it that is probably a gram.  The grip itself is 65 grams.  Gravity Grip is 123.7 grams.  The only SuperStroke grip close is the Mid-Slim 2.0 with a 50 gram weight and grip weighing 64 grams. 

Also, Sean Toulon has no idea what weight is in the grips of his designed clubs.  In that video, he initially says 40 grams then corrects himself to 30 grams. 

Edit: From another forum

pistol grip: 75 gram grip with 30 gram weight
Oversized grip: 65 gram grip with 40 gram weight

Edited by pilot25

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of other OEM grips that fall in the lightweight range (50-75g). A good number of Winn, SuperStroke (Tour 3.0, Pistol GT 2.0), P2 (tour only), Rosemark, etc all have alternate grip to replace the Odyssey grip. 

The 2019 Toulons come with a stock S|20 plate (2018 versions had A|7 plates) and the added weight really feels good swinging those flatsticks. It's a shame the palm beach isn't available lefty. Oh well, I'll just sell my first born for a Las Vegas. 

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • Lefty

• SPY VIP

You can also regrip the Toulon-Stroke Lab putters with the adjustable weight super strokes. I've got a San Diego that has a SS GT Tour with the 25g butt weight. Feels spot on to the other traditional-weighted Toulon grips. More on this putter very soon on the blog page, but here is a teaser of the grip.

ToulonGarageCustom - 3.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

The SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 with a 50 gram weight is an exact match of the Toulon Odyssey grip weighting of 105 grams.  Interestingly enough I have found that the 75 gram insert and an additional 20 grams on the bottom of the sole plate reduces my off center hits by more than 70% easily.  My opinion is finding the proper weighted balance for your stroke will make you a better putter.  Trying to take a stock putter and throwing a Gravity Grip or other weighted grip on it isn't going to help.

I'm guessing Toulon found 105 grams in the grips and 20 extra grams in the sole are the zone for the average golfer.  Adjusting both for the individual will pay dividends.

Edited by pilot25

I just pulled the trigger on a Toulon Las Vegas. Father's Day/Birthday/Sold a kidney type purchase. First thing I need to do is change out the grip. I didn't go through the garage and so the stock Odyssey pistol grip is installed and I just don't like the feel of it. Pics will follow once it arrives. 

• Lefty

On 6/18/2019 at 1:35 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I just pulled the trigger on a Toulon Las Vegas. Father's Day/Birthday/Sold a kidney type purchase. First thing I need to do is change out the grip. I didn't go through the garage and so the stock Odyssey pistol grip is installed and I just don't like the feel of it. Pics will follow once it arrives. 

I've had my LV for just over a week and wasn't overly keen on the odyssey grip when I first got it. I've used it for my last 3 rounds and it's slowly growing on me 🙂 I'll be interested to know what grip you go with in the end for it.

Driver::titelist-small: TS2 (GD AD Tour)

Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 3 Wood

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 (Dynamic Gold)

Irons: :titelist-small: T100 5 - 9i (KBS C-Taper 130g x-stiff)

Wedges::vokey-small: SM7 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas with StrokeLab shaft/ :bettinardi-1: 2021 SS28 Armlock

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5X

In case you're wondering the weight of the Odyssey stroke lab grips:

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.8c30c2c0eba352209ebcf146297471fb.JPG

You can feel the weight in the butt of the grip and there is a little change in feel when I put on a SS Slim 3.0 that weighs 63g.

I've got the Las Vegas in hand but the photos are all indoors and doesn't do it justice. I'll take some pics this afternoon as I melt on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Lefty