Sign in to follow this  
jlukes

2019 Toulon Putters Thread

I'm going to answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering.

Yes, it would be bad on a Toulon putter with StrokeLab shaft.  I was told by a Callaway/Odyssey rep that the only grip that is specifically designed for the StrokeLab shaft are the Odyssey Green and Yellow strokelab grips.  In order to get a replacement you need to go through a shop.

Really annoying......

Posted (edited)

I keep answering myself so I'm clearly crazy and taking this too far.

On another forum someone replaced their Oversized StrokeLab grip.  The weight is 41 grams.  It looks like it's probably 40 grams and there is a plastic shroud around it that is probably a gram.  The grip itself is 65 grams.  Gravity Grip is 123.7 grams.  The only SuperStroke grip close is the Mid-Slim 2.0 with a 50 gram weight and grip weighing 64 grams. 

Also, Sean Toulon has no idea what weight is in the grips of his designed clubs.  In that video, he initially says 40 grams then corrects himself to 30 grams. 

Edit: From another forum

pistol grip: 75 gram grip with 30 gram weight
Oversized grip: 65 gram grip with 40 gram weight

Edited by pilot25

There are plenty of other OEM grips that fall in the lightweight range (50-75g). A good number of Winn, SuperStroke (Tour 3.0, Pistol GT 2.0), P2 (tour only), Rosemark, etc all have alternate grip to replace the Odyssey grip. 

The 2019 Toulons come with a stock S|20 plate (2018 versions had A|7 plates) and the added weight really feels good swinging those flatsticks. It's a shame the palm beach isn't available lefty. Oh well, I'll just sell my first born for a Las Vegas. 

You can also regrip the Toulon-Stroke Lab putters with the adjustable weight super strokes. I've got a San Diego that has a SS GT Tour with the 25g butt weight. Feels spot on to the other traditional-weighted Toulon grips. More on this putter very soon on the blog page, but here is a teaser of the grip.

ToulonGarageCustom - 3.jpg

I'm just going to find a 75 gram SS grip and leave the Toulon weight in the shaft.  Easy Peasy vs trying to find a new grip with weight to match the Toulon design

Posted (edited)

The SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 with a 50 gram weight is an exact match of the Toulon Odyssey grip weighting of 105 grams.  Interestingly enough I have found that the 75 gram insert and an additional 20 grams on the bottom of the sole plate reduces my off center hits by more than 70% easily.  My opinion is finding the proper weighted balance for your stroke will make you a better putter.  Trying to take a stock putter and throwing a Gravity Grip or other weighted grip on it isn't going to help.

I'm guessing Toulon found 105 grams in the grips and 20 extra grams in the sole are the zone for the average golfer.  Adjusting both for the individual will pay dividends.

Edited by pilot25

I just pulled the trigger on a Toulon Las Vegas. Father's Day/Birthday/Sold a kidney type purchase. First thing I need to do is change out the grip. I didn't go through the garage and so the stock Odyssey pistol grip is installed and I just don't like the feel of it. Pics will follow once it arrives. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 1:35 AM, txgolfjunkie said:

I just pulled the trigger on a Toulon Las Vegas. Father's Day/Birthday/Sold a kidney type purchase. First thing I need to do is change out the grip. I didn't go through the garage and so the stock Odyssey pistol grip is installed and I just don't like the feel of it. Pics will follow once it arrives. 

I've had my LV for just over a week and wasn't overly keen on the odyssey grip when I first got it. I've used it for my last 3 rounds and it's slowly growing on me 🙂 I'll be interested to know what grip you go with in the end for it.

• Like 1

In case you're wondering the weight of the Odyssey stroke lab grips:

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.8c30c2c0eba352209ebcf146297471fb.JPG

You can feel the weight in the butt of the grip and there is a little change in feel when I put on a SS Slim 3.0 that weighs 63g.

I've got the Las Vegas in hand but the photos are all indoors and doesn't do it justice. I'll take some pics this afternoon as I melt on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

The Toulon Las Vegas is about the same size as the Odyssey mini 7. It frames the ball beautifully but not nearly as big as the original #7. The feel will take some time getting used to after going from a higher pitched Evnroll to a more muted Toulon. IMG_3168.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

The Toulon Las Vegas is about the same size as the Odyssey mini 7. It frames the ball beautifully but not nearly as big as the original #7. The feel will take some time getting used to after going from a higher pitched Evnroll to a more muted Toulon. IMG_3168.JPG

The cool thing about the Toulon is the off center hits produce a different pitch.  At least the SD does.  I know this is a Evnroll sponsored site but the Toulon with the proper weighting of the shaft to grip to head is hands down the best putter.  If you get fitted for the proper weighting of grip to club head you cannot go wrong.

On 6/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

That's what always holds me back from the Evnroll putters. I don't like that high pitched sound. Sound and feel are incredibly important to me when it comes to putter. That's why I play a Betti. I also love the feel and sound of the Toulon's.