Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Callaway PM Grind 19 Wedges Thread

null

So ugly. I’ve never liked their PM grind. Yuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Don't love the looks, but my experience with the last release of the PM Grind was fantastic. I'll probably have to give these a test!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Pancake on a stick. So ugly. I saw a Roger Cleveland talk about how they increased the offset on these at Phil’s request... I do not like offset on a wedge at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Not really a fan of the looks, but I hit a few shots with one of my buddy’s and I really liked the results....will have to give these a shot

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Been debating going this route. I’m looking to add a 60* and been leaning towards a MD3/MD4 but the PM always gets a second thought. Within the next month I expect one of these to make it to my bag.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

• 2 months later...

I got the 54º a couple of weeks ago; first year for a 54º PM grind.  So far, I like it.  I wouldn't have bought it except for the new sole grind.  I was worried about the 14º of bounce since my turf is firm, but it's been OK.  I think I will be adding a 60º soon.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I just got the 58* and love it. Chips and pitches glide through the grass. Liked it so much I bought the 54*. Taking it out tomorrow on the course for the first time so will have more after that. It's not pretty to look at but it works which is more important to me.

Eric

• 1 year later...

Now that Phil is transitioning onto the Champions Tour and has had little luck on the PGA Tour, has anyone heard anything from Callaway about continuing this wedge?  Is this wedge being discontinued in favor of the Jaws?   

Most of the online sellers have very little stock and limited specs.  What is available has been discounted $30-40.  I custom ordered mine 18 months ago, but my shaft option is no longer available. 

I hope it's becoming rare because Callaway is coming out with PM 21 Grind and not dropping the PM 19 altogether.  My local muni pro shop, who has very little club stock, has a 19 PM Grind 60º for $109 that I will pick up as a backup.  It's the wrong shaft for me, but I can swap it out when I need it.  

Any news??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ordered two of them from CPO. Price with discount code too good to pass up. Read the Callaway's info and a couple reviews on them - including MGS review, which addressed the offset issue, and came out favorably on the club. Decided I can live with a little offset if the rest of what I read is accurate.

Unfortunately, the season here is largely over. Some places to play and a few outdoor practice areas open- mostly the poorest condition ones. So, i'll be indoors honing my game with them. I'm optimistic; but, I'm not selling my current set, just yet.

I took my newly purchased 54º and 58º wedges for their first trial yesterday. First thing I noticed was the weight. These are much heavier than any wedges I've had in a long time. Reminiscent of the old Feel Golf Wedge.  It took me a little while to get used to swinging them.  

Second thing, I thought I was proficient with more bounce. I am out of practice. I've had 14º of bounce before, but it was the Vokey 54º F Grind. These are a C grind, completely different interaction with turf. A square face setup with normal loft seems to be the best way for me to make a solid strike. 

I don't really like 'Wedge Flex' shafts so, I opted for the KBS Hi Rev 2.0 115 in R flex. Much different from my Harry Taylor Golf 350 wedges with the XP 95 shaft. Firmer, but better than DG Wedge Flex.

Initially, I had difficulty with hitting higher trajectory shots with them. The are designed to flight the ball down; which is what I was after. Once I started to get a feel for them, my ball flight improved. With the slight offset - which I quickly and easily got used to, and the heel relief grinding, I found them it very easy to hit high lob and flop shots from around the green. even from  less than ideal lies. Given the increased weight I will have to learn to swing a little harder to get the ball flight and the distance I need for shots from the fairway. But, that shouldn't be too difficult. 

I have a tendency to hit the ball out toward the toe. the offset actually helps me set up with the ball positioned back towards the center of the club face, and name better contact, without hitting hosel rockets.

Further practice and experimentation with them is required; but, the initial trial has me believing they will be a very good addition to my bag. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:53 AM, JalanK said:

I took my newly purchased 54º and 58º wedges for their first trial yesterday. First thing I noticed was the weight. These are much heavier than any wedges I've had in a long time. Reminiscent of the old Feel Golf Wedge.  It took me a little while to get used to swinging them.  

Second thing, I thought I was proficient with more bounce. I am out of practice. I've had 14º of bounce before, but it was the Vokey 54º F Grind. These are a C grind, completely different interaction with turf. A square face setup with normal loft seems to be the best way for me to make a solid strike. 

I don't really like 'Wedge Flex' shafts so, I opted for the KBS Hi Rev 2.0 115 in R flex. Much different from my Harry Taylor Golf 350 wedges with the XP 95 shaft. Firmer, but better than DG Wedge Flex.

Initially, I had difficulty with hitting higher trajectory shots with them. The are designed to flight the ball down; which is what I was after. Once I started to get a feel for them, my ball flight improved. With the slight offset - which I quickly and easily got used to, and the heel relief grinding, I found them it very easy to hit high lob and flop shots from around the green. even from  less than ideal lies. Given the increased weight I will have to learn to swing a little harder to get the ball flight and the distance I need for shots from the fairway. But, that shouldn't be too difficult. 

I have a tendency to hit the ball out toward the toe. the offset actually helps me set up with the ball positioned back towards the center of the club face, and name better contact, without hitting hosel rockets.

Further practice and experimentation with them is required; but, the initial trial has me believing they will be a very good addition to my bag. 

I was a believer after getting the first PM model in 56* and I was apprehensive of the 19 model because of the offset. However, the offset actually seems to make the wedge so much more playable around the green. I used to be anti-offset but after some changes to my clubs over the years I've started to appreciate what offset has to offer. There is something about getting those few extra millimeters of shaft in front of the leading edge that just makes it so much easier to hit those shorter penetrating, high spin shots.

I switched to the PM grind wedges from the CG15s with the dual grind sole and the sole on the PM grind is so much easier to use, especially on fuller swing shots going straight into the green. I will say the club is a little odd to look at for awhile but it wasn't hard to get used to. My miss with my wedges and irons is to come over the top and hit out towards the toe and I don't know how many stroked the full-face grooves have saved me compared to my CG15 around the green over the course of the year. I find the grooves are especially helpful when the face is laying open and making center contact is hard.

My wedge game is by far the best and most consistent part of my game is probably the sole reason I've been able sneak down on the lower half of a single-digit handicap from time to time. The PM grind simply makes playing any shot around the green possible. I don't feel like I'm ever having to fight the club to open it up or get the leading edge down. I'm pretty good about using the bounce of the wedge on most of my wedge shots and I can absolutely slam the sole of the ground with confidence knowing that it won't break the surface and dig in. I also love the rounded leading edge. I find it gets through the rough and sand so much easier. It's part of the reason I didn't stick with a Cleveland wedge. So many wedge companies have changed their designs that have a perfectly flat leading edge and that makes it so much harder to get the club cleanly through tough/tight lies with a delicate touch. 

I hope you get some time to practice with your new wedges because I think you will find that there performance around the green is unlike anything else. I don't much else to tell you other than once you get the feel for using the bounce of these wedges, you won't be using any other type of wedge for a long time. 

Color me intrigued by the PM Grinds.  My largest issue in taking the plunge is the uncertainty in my iron lofts and wedge configurations.  I'm uncertain if I want to get a 56* to use as my highest lofted wedge, or go with a 58* to match up with my 53* Scratch GW.

Considering my tendency to bounce between sets with PWs that could be anywhere from 47* to 52*, maybe I should get one of each.  LOL

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Color me intrigued by the PM Grinds.  My largest issue in taking the plunge is the uncertainty in my iron lofts and wedge configurations.  I'm uncertain if I want to get a 56* to use as my highest lofted wedge, or go with a 58* to match up with my 53* Scratch GW.

Considering my tendency to bounce between sets with PWs that could be anywhere from 47* to 52*, maybe I should get one of each.  LOL

I think a 58* would help around the greens more. I used to be a firm believer that a 56* was enough for any shot until I found how much easier it was to hit certain shots with my 60* because I don't have to open the blade as much to get the loft I need. I would imagine most shots over 60 or so yards could be handled with a 53*. I think gapping wedges is interesting because I don't think perfectly even gapping is necessary at that end of the set. I rarely take a full swing with any club inside 100 yards because I find it much easier to control spin, height, and distance using partial swings but that is just me. My current wedges are 46*, 50*, 56*, 60*. I don't have any issues with the 6* gap between my 50 and 56 because most of my shots are partial swings and if I decided to go with a perfectly gapped 54 and 58, I feel I would lose a little of the versatility the 60 gives me around the greens. 

Wedge gaps really come down to how you splay and what you need for the courses you play. I personally would start with the loft of wedge you want to play around the green and then fill in the gaps from there. Your gaps may be off a degree here and there but I think having the right club around the green can save more strokes that hitting a wedge that is is a 53* instead of a 54* from 75 yards. Odds are most short approach shots aren't going to be full swings anyway. That's just my take on the topic, I know there are plenty other opinions on gapping out there. 

17 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

I think a 58* would help around the greens more. I used to be a firm believer that a 56* was enough for any shot until I found how much easier it was to hit certain shots with my 60* because I don't have to open the blade as much to get the loft I need. I would imagine most shots over 60 or so yards could be handled with a 53*. I think gapping wedges is interesting because I don't think perfectly even gapping is necessary at that end of the set. I rarely take a full swing with any club inside 100 yards because I find it much easier to control spin, height, and distance using partial swings but that is just me. My current wedges are 46*, 50*, 56*, 60*. I don't have any issues with the 6* gap between my 50 and 56 because most of my shots are partial swings and if I decided to go with a perfectly gapped 54 and 58, I feel I would lose a little of the versatility the 60 gives me around the greens. 

Wedge gaps really come down to how you splay and what you need for the courses you play. I personally would start with the loft of wedge you want to play around the green and then fill in the gaps from there. Your gaps may be off a degree here and there but I think having the right club around the green can save more strokes that hitting a wedge that is is a 53* instead of a 54* from 75 yards. Odds are most short approach shots aren't going to be full swings anyway. That's just my take on the topic, I know there are plenty other opinions on gapping out there. 

Youre describing how i largely use my wedges.  I'll hit a full shot with a GW, but very rarely using anything with more loft.  

The issue has to do with my habit of playing classic iron sets, such as the various Golden Rams in my possession.  These tend to have a PW from 50* to 52*, depending on how I've set the lofts, which takes a GW out of play.  I've had no problem going from 52* to 58*, but with 51*, I've tended to go 55 or 56 before going to 60.

A long winded way of saying I need to figure stuff out.  LOL

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

5 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Exactly how I play them; just sub my 54 and 60 PM grinds.  My 60 is my goto around the greens including most bunkers; 54 is for longer bunker shots, thicker rough, and longer 3/4 swings from the fairway.  My gap wedge is an Edison 49, but all of these wedges have the same shaft... KBS Tour 90 in Reg flex.  

On 11/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, NRJyzr said:

Hey NRJyzr~ formerly known as Pingjeff on GEA. Long time no talk.  I didn't have a problem selecting the 54º and 58º as the lofts were consistent with my current irons, and same as my previous wedges. These things are stupid easy to play, Once you become accustomed to the larger heads, they become even more user friendly. Offset - no problem. I used Callaway's online wedge recommendation tool to help me pick out the wedges I should consider. I have a set of Harry Taylor wedges I've played for a few years, and I love them. These will replace them. Once you become accustomed to the high bounce, they become easier. The weight of these clubs was the thing I initially struggled with, but easily adapted to. if you do decide to try them, Look on Callawaygolfpreowned.com for your clubs. Great prices on equipment in better condition than stated. 

3 hours ago, JalanK said:

Hey NRJyzr~ formerly known as Pingjeff on GEA. Long time no talk.  I didn't have a problem selecting the 54º and 58º as the lofts were consistent with my current irons, and same as my previous wedges. These things are stupid easy to play, Once you become accustomed to the larger heads, they become even more user friendly. Offset - no problem. I used Callaway's online wedge recommendation tool to help me pick out the wedges I should consider. I have a set of Harry Taylor wedges I've played for a few years, and I love them. These will replace them. Once you become accustomed to the high bounce, they become easier. The weight of these clubs was the thing I initially struggled with, but easily adapted to. if you do decide to try them, Look on Callawaygolfpreowned.com for your clubs. Great prices on equipment in better condition than stated. 

Jeff!

Good to hear from you, dude.  🙂

I've been surfing 2nd Swing, but had forgotten about Callaway Preowned.  Thanks for the tip.  <salute>

Just arrived....  a lovely PM Grind 19 58* wedge.  Like the look of it.  Hoping I'll get the chance to use it yet this year, but that's looking rather unlikely.  There's a course near me that's opened yesterday, today, and at least one day next week, but I don't know if I'll be able to take advantage...

• 4 months later...

I have four rounds played in 2020, thought I'd give an update on the PM Grind.

The one word update:  damn!

Its been simply great.  Or awesome.  Any number of other superlatives.  Chipping with it has given great results.  Short to medium pitches have been amazing; I've had better distance control with this than any other wedge I've used, up to the 60 yards that I've set as my personal limit with it (I don't like hitting full shots with anything more than a PW). 

And pretty versatile, I've been able to go high or low, relative to my skill level, anyway.  Spin has-been lovely, been relying on the hard check, or check and release, more than anything.

Also working nicely in the sand.  Took me about two shots to get comfortable, been doing reasonably well with it.  Even plunked a pin on a medium to longer shot, for a 6 inch tap in.

Count me as a big fan.

Edited by NRJyzr

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Its been simply great.  Or awesome.  Any number of other superlatives.  Chipping with it has given great results.  Short to medium pitches have been amazing; I've had better distance control with this than any other wedge I've used, up to the 60 yards that I've set as my personal limit with it (I don't like hitting full shots with anything more than a PW). 

And pretty versatile, I've been able to go high or low, relative to my skill level, anyway.  Spin has-been lovely, been relying on the hard check, or check and release, more than anything.

Also working nicely in the sand.  Took me about two shots to get comfortable, been doing reasonably well with it.  Even plunked a pin on a medium to longer shot, for a 6 inch tap in.

Count me as a big fan.

I love them out of the sand on my course, but this week in SoCal I was in a few bunkers that were more like dirt/sand mix and very firm.  The high bounce didn't work very well, but then again I don't have much experience trying to pick a ball out of sand.  That's a shot I need to master.  

The "19 PM Grind is great around the greens here though.  I almost holed a 20 yard pitch on an undulating green yesterday with my 60º.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 6:30 AM, NRJyzr said:

Count me as a big fan.

Hey, Ed! I'll take that as a Thank You!

11 hours ago, JalanK said:

Hey, Ed! I'll take that as a Thank You!

A rather large Thank You   😊