TESTERS WANTED! ×

Putter change...maybe

Hi guys, new member here!  I have been gaming a Scotty Cameron California Del Mar putter 34" now for a few years, I have been using the claw grip and found a lot of success.  Recently though I have been thinking of making a switch due to missing short easy putts (in my mind anyway).  I am now thinking about trying the Bettinardi Kucher that requires the arm lock method.  Do any of you putt this way (using the arm lock) and if so what are some pro's and con's?  How long did it take to feel comfortable?   

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

Hi guys, new member here!  I have been gaming a Scotty Cameron California Del Mar putter 34" now for a few years, I have been using the claw grip and found a lot of success.  Recently though I have been thinking of making a switch due to missing short easy putts (in my mind anyway).  I am now thinking about trying the Bettinardi Kucher that requires the arm lock method.  Do any of you putt this way (using the arm lock) and if so what are some pro's and con's?  How long did it take to feel comfortable?   

I have only tried the armlock approach for testing purposes. It would take me a lot of practice to get used to it.

When you say missing short putts, how long is short and what is your kids pattern?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I have only tried the armlock approach for testing purposes. It would take me a lot of practice to get used to it.

When you say missing short putts, how long is short and what is your kids pattern?

I've been missing 3-7 footers.  It could be the course I play at, very wet greens that have not been rolled for a while or it could be me.  I am thinking it's a combination of both.  The arm lock has intrigued me as of late.  When you say it would take you a lot of practice...why do you think that (above normal putting practice)?  Was it the forward press or keeping the shaft against the forearm or did you feel like you would pull a lot of putts?  

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

If you are missing 3-7 footers I would check to make sure you aren’t peeking to watch them go in the hole.

As for the arm lock, we had one in the most wanted testing a couple of years ago and just the whole concept of holding and swinging the putter was so foreign. Also the significant forward shaft lean and testing against my arm was difficult to wrap my head around, I am pretty much vertical in my current setup. That is why I think that with enough practice I could get used to using the putter. It was way more difficult to get used to that switch than switching between conventional and left hand low or even claw.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have tried it and it just felt very uncomfortable and rigid feeling. I have found great success using the P2Grips. They really help to take the hands out of the putts.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

• 5 weeks later...

I tested one today at Edwin Watts, albeit an Odyssey arm lock putter.  While I am sure it would take some time to adjust to the proper stroke to make this work, I found the results impressive, as I was much more accurate when doing this right.

I may make another visit to Edwin Watts to continue testing this putter to see if it was a one off, or if I could reproduce the results.

Something to consider anyway.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I used a Bett Kuchar style for a year and a half. At first it was a little hard to get used too. I got it in the winter and putted down the cellar with it for a couple months. There's loft to the blade , due to the increased length. That being said a forward press is needed. I started out putting very well with it. Then in year 2, things got progressively worse. By May, I was back to putting my original way. Must say was putting better. I had bought the Kuch used, and looking back, I think it was too long. If I was made of money, I might get another shorter version and try it again. Only if my current putter goes south. Good Luck.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

All my life I used the conventional way of putting, about two years ago I switch to the claw and loved it.  I was sinking a lot more putts and my misses were more consistent.  The main reason why I was asking is because of the success of Kuchar switching and what Bryson is doing as well.  Both are having great success...and lets face it, they know more than I do when it comes to this.  

lets face it, they know more than I do when it comes to this.  

I don’t think that just because they are professionals that they know what technique or equipment is best. Some of them are just like most amateurs and play what looks or feels good to them on any particular week. They practice with it more but invent they switch based on what other pros are having success with. I would guess that Bubba switched not because of knowing better but because of seeing Kuch and Dechambeau and their success

Archived