Jump to content
perseveringgolfer

Name a country on this map!

Recommended Posts

And this is why our educational system needs to be torn apart and redone

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

And this is why our educational system needs to be torn apart and redone

What I would call basic knowledge information that was taught when I was in school isn't considered essential anymore.  Kids are taught that this type of information can be "Googled" if needed.

I wonder what is considered essential now?  I'm almost afraid to ask.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

And this is why our educational system needs to be torn apart and redone

I think they have successfully done the "torn apart" part.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t what to say after watching that.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow... this is an indictment of the school system. How the F*** did subject 1 pass high school AND college?

As a point of interest, I'm homeschooled, and last year for geography, I had to memorize all 197 countries, the country's capital, and the country's flags.

Edited by GB13
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Wow... this is an indictment of the school system. How the F*** did subject 1 pass high school AND college. 

As a point of interest, I'm homeschooled, and last year for geography, I had to memorize all 197 countries, the country's capital, and the country's flags.

Sooooo...give us everything for Lower Slobovia….😝

Yeah, this is ugly...WTF happened to us that this is the "norm"??!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wow... this is an indictment of the school system. How the F*** did subject 1 pass high school AND college?
As a point of interest, I'm homeschooled, and last year for geography, I had to memorize all 197 countries, the country's capital, and the country's flags.

When I went to grammar school we had courses like geography where you learned and had to pass tests on countries and capitols. At that time there was no such thing as social promotion. If you didn't pass you stayed back a grade.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PING Apologist #9 said:

Sooooo...give us everything for Lower Slobovia….😝

Yeah, this is ugly...WTF happened to us that this is the "norm"??!!!

I had to laugh though, I'm up on my high horse bragging about my curriculum and I put a period instead of a question mark in my previous post. 🙃

No, I'm not OCD, why do ask? (See, I got the question mark there.) 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tony@CIC said:


When I went to grammar school we had courses like geography where you learned and had to pass tests on countries and capitols. At that time there was no such thing as social promotion. If you didn't pass you stayed back a grade.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That's how it should be.

Now, even if you don't turn in work, you get a 50% on every assignment, and a 49% is a F. Quite an elegant system. To put it bluntly, that's total bullshit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it somewhat comical and a whole lot of sad. Geography was a huge subject for me and it wasn't an option. 

My daughter who reasonably intelligent and a freshman at UO, struggles with cursive writing aa it was taught for like two weeks in the 3rd grade.  That was pushed on me all the way through school.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I had to laugh though, I'm up on my high horse bragging about my curriculum and I put a period instead of a question mark in my previous post. 🙃

No, I'm not OCD, why do ask? (See, I got the question mark there.) 

No worries and I too overlooked that omission...Don't sell yourself short though. I'm certain you could mop the floor with any of those punks with 1/2 your brain tied behind your back..!

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck in 8th grade We had to recreate a map of the whole world down to the rivers and mountains. I do not remember all the countries or even all of the mountain ranges/rivers, but I am definitely not as dumb as those people in this video.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...