TESTERS WANTED! ×

Puma Solelace - Have you tried it? Does it work? (Updated with review 4/2019)

ChiefMikeOfficer

There are some good articles and forums showing off Puma's new Ignite NXT line, like this one:

But not much in the way of reviews yet. Has anyone tried the Solelace on course or at the driving range? How would you rate it (bonus points if you have used a disc model before and can compare)?

I have a new pair of the Disc sitting in my office right now because that's (somewhat) proven technology, but I like the look of the Solelace better, so I keep looking down at them debating an exchange (but I'm skeptical... seems like it could be gimmicky). We have about 3 months until golf season starts in Wisconsin, so I'm hoping someone in a warmer climate has actually tried them out and can give some insight to help me with the decision. Thanks!

Edited by ChiefMikeOfficer
Small correction

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

• 2 months later...

I really like mine. Comfy for walking, good grip, and they breathe well while still being water resistant. I wouldn't call the sole-lace revolutionary or anything, the midfoot is a bit on the snug side but I like it.

Taylormade SIM Driver

Titleist 915 3 wood

Taylormade M1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW

Mizuno T20 50/55/60

Toulon Las Vegas

Taylormade TP5x

📸https://www.instagram.com/samej_g/

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, mellow said:

I really like mine. Comfy for walking, good grip, and they breathe well while still being water resistant. I wouldn't call the sole-lace revolutionary or anything, the midfoot is a bit on the snug side but I like it.

Thanks for the response. I decided to give them a try, too. Your assessment is spot-on -- comfortable shoes, the lacing works but isn't anything groundbreaking. I actually find the laces to be somewhat annoying and/or difficult, but they do hold things together pretty well. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I tried these on numerous times and I didn’t see much difference in comfort or feel compared to the prior version that I own. I hate a tight feel around the mid area of my foot anyway, so the lacing wouldn’t be something that would appeal to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:22 AM, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

Thanks for the response. I decided to give them a try, too. Your assessment is spot-on -- comfortable shoes, the lacing works but isn't anything groundbreaking. I actually find the laces to be somewhat annoying and/or difficult, but they do hold things together pretty well. 

Update based on my experience: my pair broke on the second use (it's been a rough start to the season for me and new golf equipment...).

I wore them once at the driving range and they worked out just fine. When I brought them to the course for the first time, I tied them normally, but the TPU holding the laces looked loose/wavy, so I tried to tighten them lace by lace (as noted in the last post, they are annoying/difficult). One of the TPU eyelets snapped in the process, and a couple others look stressed on the verge of snapping (it did not feel like I was over-tightening them). I was able to get the lace somewhat secure in the busted eyelet and still wore them for the round considering they were the only shoes I brought. 

I contacted customer service with the issue, and they were great -- I e-mailed first, then called, and the CS rep acknowledged they were a bit behind on e-mails. They just asked that I send along a picture and approved a replacement immediately. They also didn't force a like-for-like replacement, which I appreciate given the nature of the issue -- maybe my pair was just defective, but after this I decided it's best to move away from Solelace for now. I now have a new pair of the Disc, which is what I originally purchased and later exchanged - hoping for better results with that pair!

My overall ratings: Comfort 4/5; Stability 4/5; Traction 2/5; Style 5/5 (in my opinion, the Solelace is a better style than the others, so for the Disc I'd say Style 4/5); Durability I have to give a 1/5 given my issue (which, again, could be a defective pair). 

• ChiefMikeOfficer changed the title to Puma Solelace - Have you tried it? Does it work? (Updated with review 4/2019)

Mine are still going strong with about 5 or 6 walking rounds, so here's hoping it was an isolated issue!

Taylormade SIM Driver

Titleist 915 3 wood

Taylormade M1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW

Mizuno T20 50/55/60

Toulon Las Vegas

Taylormade TP5x

📸https://www.instagram.com/samej_g/