ChiefMikeOfficer

Puma Solelace - Have you tried it? Does it work? (Updated with review 4/2019)

Posted (edited)

There are some good articles and forums showing off Puma's new Ignite NXT line, like this one:

But not much in the way of reviews yet. Has anyone tried the Solelace on course or at the driving range? How would you rate it (bonus points if you have used a disc model before and can compare)?

I have a new pair of the Disc sitting in my office right now because that's (somewhat) proven technology, but I like the look of the Solelace better, so I keep looking down at them debating an exchange (but I'm skeptical... seems like it could be gimmicky). We have about 3 months until golf season starts in Wisconsin, so I'm hoping someone in a warmer climate has actually tried them out and can give some insight to help me with the decision. Thanks!

Edited by ChiefMikeOfficer
Small correction

I really like mine. Comfy for walking, good grip, and they breathe well while still being water resistant. I wouldn't call the sole-lace revolutionary or anything, the midfoot is a bit on the snug side but I like it.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2019 at 5:31 PM, mellow said:

I really like mine. Comfy for walking, good grip, and they breathe well while still being water resistant. I wouldn't call the sole-lace revolutionary or anything, the midfoot is a bit on the snug side but I like it.

Thanks for the response. I decided to give them a try, too. Your assessment is spot-on -- comfortable shoes, the lacing works but isn't anything groundbreaking. I actually find the laces to be somewhat annoying and/or difficult, but they do hold things together pretty well. 

• Like 1

I tried these on numerous times and I didn’t see much difference in comfort or feel compared to the prior version that I own. I hate a tight feel around the mid area of my foot anyway, so the lacing wouldn’t be something that would appeal to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 8:22 AM, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

Thanks for the response. I decided to give them a try, too. Your assessment is spot-on -- comfortable shoes, the lacing works but isn't anything groundbreaking. I actually find the laces to be somewhat annoying and/or difficult, but they do hold things together pretty well. 

Update based on my experience: my pair broke on the second use (it's been a rough start to the season for me and new golf equipment...).

I wore them once at the driving range and they worked out just fine. When I brought them to the course for the first time, I tied them normally, but the TPU holding the laces looked loose/wavy, so I tried to tighten them lace by lace (as noted in the last post, they are annoying/difficult). One of the TPU eyelets snapped in the process, and a couple others look stressed on the verge of snapping (it did not feel like I was over-tightening them). I was able to get the lace somewhat secure in the busted eyelet and still wore them for the round considering they were the only shoes I brought. 

I contacted customer service with the issue, and they were great -- I e-mailed first, then called, and the CS rep acknowledged they were a bit behind on e-mails. They just asked that I send along a picture and approved a replacement immediately. They also didn't force a like-for-like replacement, which I appreciate given the nature of the issue -- maybe my pair was just defective, but after this I decided it's best to move away from Solelace for now. I now have a new pair of the Disc, which is what I originally purchased and later exchanged - hoping for better results with that pair!

My overall ratings: Comfort 4/5; Stability 4/5; Traction 2/5; Style 5/5 (in my opinion, the Solelace is a better style than the others, so for the Disc I'd say Style 4/5); Durability I have to give a 1/5 given my issue (which, again, could be a defective pair). 

• Like 2

Mine are still going strong with about 5 or 6 walking rounds, so here's hoping it was an isolated issue!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Tyler22

• By Golfspy_CG2
      ECCO® GOLF Introduces S-LITE 
      Revolutionary Design Creates Brand’s Lightest-Ever Leather Golf Shoe    
      (LONDONDERRY, NH) – ECCO – a leading manufacturer of innovative footwear – unveils ECCO S-LITE, a one-of-a-kind hybrid shoe which breaks boundaries as the brand’s lightest-ever leather golf shoe.

ECCO S-LITE takes a fresh, innovative approach to golf shoe design by blending cutting-edge engineering and comfort to ensure an ultra-light on-course experience. A multi-injection production process offers a TPU outsole that’s 66% thinner than ECCO has previously created, perfect as a packable playing option.

“By owning our own tanneries and manufacturing processes, ECCO GOLF continues to find ways to deliver golfers truly distinctive footwear,” says Jesper Thuen, General Manager, ECCO GOLF USA. “This passion for performance and design is exemplified in S-LITE.”

A stylish, diamond-shaped embossing on the ECCO RICH TWO-TONE YAK leather upper reduces weight while increasing comfort, and a soft textile lining provides natural water repellency and breathability.

The E-DTS™ LITE outsole offers on-and-off course traction and durability with exceptional flexibility. A molded leather heel counter and inside toe reinforcement offer additional support ensuring stable footing throughout the swing.

Other unique features and benefits include: Premium, durable ECCO YAK leather, made in the company’s own tanneries  An award-winning E-DTS™ LITE hybrid outsole design that adds more than 100 traction studs and 800 traction angles for excellent grip in all playing conditions  FLUIDFORM™ Technology which is a ‘state change’ process that uses specialized fluid materials to form around an anatomical last, ensuring a finely-tuned balance of cushioning and rebound, while also creating an integral, flexible and durable bond, without the compromises common with stitched or glued assemblies  A PU midsole with a PU wing, wrapping the sides of the foot delivers stability on and off the course  A premium soft leather foot bed that offers a soft feel and natural moisture management  ECCO GOLF shoes are worn in competition around the world by European Ryder Cup Captain Thomas Bjørn, Fred Couples, Lydia Ko, Minjee Lee and Caroline Masson, among others.  
      ABOUT ECCO

ECCO®, a world-leading brand of shoes combining style and comfort, has built its success on great design and leather quality, and innovative technology. Founded in Denmark in 1963, ECCO is one of the few major shoe manufacturers in the world, which owns and manages every aspect of its leather and shoe productions, and its retail sales. ECCO is among the largest producers in the world of high-quality leather, which is used in ECCO’s shoes, and own production of leather goods and is also sold to several leading luxury brands. Today, ECCO products are sold in 87 countries in more than 3,300 ECCO shops and shop-in-shops, and at more than 14,000 sales points around the world. The company is family-owned and employs more than 19,000 people worldwide.

ECCO USA is based in Londonderry, New Hampshire. For more information: www.eccousa.com, 800.886.3226.

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Press Release from Puma
      PUMA Golf is excited to announce a multi-year agreement with four-time major winner Ernie Els. As part of the partnership, Els will serve as a global ambassador and wear PUMA Golf footwear during his professional events.

Els will wear PUMA’s IGNITE PWRADAPT and NXT family of shoes on Tour. The PWRADAPT family of footwear features a cutting-edge traction system with 3-dimensional traction pods and responsive cushioning with IGNITE Foam, for the ideal blend of industry-leading technology, style, comfort and performance. A Comfort Construction mesh bootie replaces a traditional tongue for improved fit, comfort and support, while the PWRFRAME, an ultra-thin TPU frame, is strategically placed in high stress areas on the shoe’s upper for lightweight support and enhanced stability that golfers need to play well on all surfaces and slopes.

“I’m excited about this new relationship with PUMA,” comments Els. “I’ve been wearing their golf shoes since the start of the year and honestly I feel like it’s really been a factor in me catching some form of late. I just feel more grounded with these shoes, like it’s giving me a firmer foundation in my swing. What I also like is the shoe combines stability with lightness and comfort. That’s a tough trick to pull off, but the guys at PUMA have nailed it. I’m very happy to be part of the team.”

“We are honored to have Ernie wearing our footwear and representing our brand on Tour. He is an icon in the international golf world, with an exemplary career both on and off the course, and a huge global presence. We’re excited to welcome him to the PUMA family,” said Dan Ladd, Senior VP of Sales & Marketing, COBRA PUMA GOLF.

See attached for the full press release with additional details. Reach out with any questions!

In honor of the partnership announcement, PUMA made him some custom shoes to wear as he tees-it-up at this week’s RBC Heritage.

• By knightrider
      Hey Y'all,
      First time to the forum and I'm starting this thread fairly selfishly, but could be cool to see what everyone's recommendations for upgrades would be!
      Currently playing a set of Mizuno MP60's that I bought used about 10 years ago....long time.
      I always buy used clubs cause prices are just too crazy for me (still waiting on that lottery ticket to hit for that custom fitting experience).
      My question is: What would be y'all's recommendations for an iron set that's comparable to the MP 60's (I love the thin topline and forged heads), but a  newer set would make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not too loyal to any brands but really interested to see what I should give a few whacks at my local golf store. 
      Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing what everyone's playing and what everyone's drooling over. 
      P.S.    I've been looking at the Titelist AP2's
      Cheers Y'all!!!
    • By GregB135
      Spent a couple of hours this afternoon at the Tampa Bay Golffest event. A really nice though not especially large demo day event hosted by Tampa Bay Downs. Had a chance to hit some of the new offerings out there in the marketplace and some potential GolfSpy test candidates. 
      Hit several drivers. The new Mizuno ST, Ping G410, Wilson Cortex, and Cobra F9 Speedback. Keeping in mind it wasn't full fitting for each, but the reps did ask enough questions to get you close enough spec wise so you were hitting something close to your current gamer. Of the 4, my least favorite was the Mizuno, it just didn't have the same feel as the others. The Ping G410 just felt AWESOME. The Cobra felt good, like the ball was exploding off the face, but the ball flight was a little higher than my preference, and the ball was airborne for.....ever. The Cortex was a surprise. Felt good and solid, sound and ball flight were right there with all the others. I hit a smattering of irons, but wasn't focused enough on those to include data. The latest of the Mizuno JPX forged though was a very solid feeling club. In any case, I didn't put anything back on the rack thinking "boy that sucked" so be encouraged GolfSpy universe, there is some really good equipment coming out this year.
      Also spied some of the new Bridgestone e12 golf balls in the sale tent. I'm sure we are all waiting for the revelation of those testers (my fingers are crossed).
      Last, I got some Trackman style feedback on the effectiveness of the SuperSpeed training system (about to start week 9 for me). Participating in the skills contests, included 4 Trackman assessed shots with driver. With a mis-fit glove, no warm-up, no golf shoes, and a random selection of not my drivers to choose from, I got all 4 swings onto the grid with 3 going past 270 at 100mph. About a 15-20 yard gain from last season!! Still waiting on the promised email with the Trackman video/data and pro comparison.
      A pretty cool afternoon.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!