Jump to content
Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
LeftyHawk

Voice Caddie SC200 Question

Recommended Posts

I've read thru most everything I could find here on MGS but still have a question. My wife got me this unit for Christmas, the weather hit 40 degrees here in my part of Michigan today so I took it outside to give it a go. First with my 4H, I was rather surprised when it said I only carries 50 yards....."REALLY !!!!" a few shots later still 50 yards. So I got out my driver, according to the SC200 I hit my driver 130 yards "I DON"T THINK SO!!!" I know from the sim I've hit on my driver head speed is 95 and I'm in the neighborhood of 250. Another swing with my driver and a club head speed of 55 mph. On to my 7 iron, I know that a full swing will get 150 yards. First swing  "65 yards"..... second swing..."58 yards"....

I was hitting foam balls, so my question is do I need to hit real golf balls? Has any of ya'll using this unit experienced this problem?

I did email the company, still waiting on a response.

Thanks, Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lefty, mine works very well, note; I did compare it to an ES-14 and the numbers were pretty close. I'm not sure how the Doppler radar works but my sense is that it measures the swing speed and the ball speed and extrapolates the smash factor. If that's the case your foam balls are probably messing it up. I'd try it with real balls and if you're getting the same feedback you may have a bad unit.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

I've read thru most everything I could find here on MGS but still have a question. My wife got me this unit for Christmas, the weather hit 40 degrees here in my part of Michigan today so I took it outside to give it a go. First with my 4H, I was rather surprised when it said I only carries 50 yards....."REALLY !!!!" a few shots later still 50 yards. So I got out my driver, according to the SC200 I hit my driver 130 yards "I DON"T THINK SO!!!" I know from the sim I've hit on my driver head speed is 95 and I'm in the neighborhood of 250. Another swing with my driver and a club head speed of 55 mph. On to my 7 iron, I know that a full swing will get 150 yards. First swing  "65 yards"..... second swing..."58 yards"....

I was hitting foam balls, so my question is do I need to hit real golf balls? Has any of ya'll using this unit experienced this problem?

I did email the company, still waiting on a response.

Thanks, Chris

was it close to the actual distance you were getting? If so I think it was accurate. I understand that you're expecting different yardages but the foam balls may be messing it up, although I cannot say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radar based LMs measure BALL speed, and distance, and then extrapolates clubspeed and uses that for smash factor. Radars can't actually measure the club head. So yes, you will need to use real balls. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, I feel much better now, I was hoping that that was all it was. Wasn't looking forward to sending the unit in, my plan is to head to the range Tuesday to hit real balls using the LM.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Thanks all, I feel much better now, I was hoping that that was all it was. Wasn't looking forward to sending the unit in, my plan is to head to the range Tuesday to hit real balls using the LM.

Chris

As an FYI range balls may cause you to get readings that are a bit low also.  You'll notice that once the weather gets better and you bring it out on the course while using your regular ball.  It's like a fitting where you should use the same ball type that you regularly play.  Of course you can't do that on the range and the difference is only a few MPHs but you will hit a regular ball farther than a range ball, most of the time.

I love my Voice Caddy by the way.  Enjoy

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 9:17 PM, GB13 said:

Radar based LMs measure BALL speed, and distance, and then extrapolates clubspeed and uses that for smash factor. Radars can't actually measure the club head. So yes, you will need to use real balls. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Voice Caddie reads both actual club speed and actual ball speed, and then calculates smash factor and expected carry distance (with barometric pressure and temperature factored in from actual environmental conditions). This is why the SC200 can display very incorrect carry numbers if a ball is shanked or hooked heavily -- it only knows about clubhead and and initial ball speed in that calculation and no spin or ball flight is taken into account.

I have hit foam balls in my backyard and the clubhead speed seems to be relatively accurate. Ball speed, smash factor and carry distance are obviously way off.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:02 AM, revkev said:

As an FYI range balls may cause you to get readings that are a bit low also.  You'll notice that once the weather gets better and you bring it out on the course while using your regular ball.  It's like a fitting where you should use the same ball type that you regularly play.  Of course you can't do that on the range and the difference is only a few MPHs but you will hit a regular ball farther than a range ball, most of the time.

I love my Voice Caddy by the way.  Enjoy

Spot on, @revkev. I have had the Voice Caddie out three times now using cold range balls in heated outdoor stalls. Ball speed and smash factor yesterday were very low, not surprising given the cold (and heavily worn) range balls. I was able to get out on the course once in January before Snowpocalypse gave us this recent awful weather, and my carry was routinely better than with the range balls.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spot on, [mention=16651]revkev[/mention]. I have had the Voice Caddie out three times now using cold range balls in heated outdoor stalls. Ball speed and smash factor yesterday were very low, not surprising given the cold (and heavily worn) range balls. I was able to get out on the course once in January before Snowpocalypse gave us this recent awful weather, and my carry was routinely better than with the range balls.

 

 

That's been my experience - on both of your points. Not a perfect LM but for the price you can't go wrong.

 

CG2 mentioned a SC300 that he saw at the PGA show but I can't find any data on it. Maybe some additional options or capabilities?

 

 

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

 

 

That's been my experience - on both of your points. Not a perfect LM but for the price you can't go wrong.

 

CG2 mentioned a SC300 that he saw at the PGA show but I can't find any data on it. Maybe some additional options or capabilities?

 

 

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Looks like the big new stats are apex and launch angle. Also looks like they will be releasing Android and iPhone apps that pair with the device.

At $549.99, I'd probably start looking at the Flightscope Mevo instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Looks like the big new stats are apex and launch angle. Also looks like they will be releasing Android and iPhone apps that pair with the device.
At $549.99, I'd probably start looking at the Flightscope Mevo instead.

That price opens them up to a number of competitors. Of course that's the suggested price. I bought my SC200 for about a third less.


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find my SC200 to be pretty accurate at the driving range when I strike the ball well. If I have a mishit the data registered, I can’t really trust.

It has been a good tool for me figuring out my yardages and has helped me make better club selection choices on the course.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×