Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How do you keep score?

STUDque

What system do most people use? I don't see many people doing it like this but it makes it way easier for me to add up scores than just writing down gross scores.

Here's my system, let me know if you need a decoder ring:

4F927DEB-ED43-43DF-B17B-BDABB0F14327.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just write the number down and track in Swing x Swing app. Not even sure your system!

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

I only ever write down a score when playing in official competitions, so I always write down the score for each hole.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I keep overall score with the shapes so it's easy to tell. Then I use the other players spaces for FIR, GIR, #of putts, and water/bunker/lip out putt, etc. if there's room.

I also use arrows if I miss fairways/greens I can better track tends.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

I've done it that way before, but I typically use the Golfshot app

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I'm old fashioned.  I write down the actual score number, and don't add it up until after the 18th hole.   That way I only get depressed once during the round  :D

I know friends that keep the +1 or -1 method, but to me, that can and has led to some errors, as opposed to just writing the actual numbers.  But like I said, I'm old school in some ways. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I will put the actual score down but, the line underneath it I will use +/- numbers to make it easier to add at the end.

:cobra-small: Max Superlite 9.5* Driver   :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 10.5* Driver    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 16* 3 Wood    :cobra-small: Fly-Z XL 19* 5 Wood

:taylormade-small: Mid Rescue - 2, 3, 4, & 5 Hybrids     :taylormade-small: M2 - 6 Hybrid

:cleveland-small: 588 Altitude 7-PW    :cleveland-small: Tour Action 588 52* Gap wedge   :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 58* San wedge

:cleveland-small: Frontline Elvado Single Bend 33" putter (testing)                   

:MLA: Target Adixion 33" putter

:titelist-small:  Velocity Golf Balls

I tag it with my game golf live. Best thing ever for me, I don't have to follow the scores while playing. Out of sight out of mind. It also served as a trigger for my preshot routine as I tag it makes short beeps and vibration, works great.

Then at the end of the rounds I can geek out the numbers.

IMG_0672.JPG

When I am playing alone or keeping my own score with no betting its +/- in my head. When playing in a group I write down the whole number.

I had a guy playing with me once and I was keeping score by just writing down +/- and after we were done I congratulated him on shooting 79. He ask if he could keep the card since it was the first time he broke 80. So I signed it and handed it to him. He got really upset at the scoring format I used and stormed off. Since then, if I am writing the score down for anyone else it's the whole number.

Sent from my Pixel using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I am playing alone or keeping my own score with no betting its +/- in my head. When playing in a group I write down the whole number.

I had a guy playing with me once and I was keeping score by just writing down +/- and after we were done I congratulated him on shooting 79. He ask if he could keep the card since it was the first time he broke 80. So I signed it and handed it to him. He got really upset at the scoring format I used and stormed off. Since then, if I am writing the score down for anyone else it's the whole number.

In a tournament I played in, I was thrown into a group with a guy who just turned back to amateur for my first two rounds. He said for tournaments, you only have to put the scores and the people running the booth tally them up for you and officially mark your total.

The last day you got paired up with folks from your same flight based on your scores to that point (at the time I was 5th flight). I did the non-total for the playing partners I had to keep score for and they threw a tantrum that I didn't put the totals for them. Can't win for losing huh?

I'm old fashioned.  I write down the actual score number, and don't add it up until after the 18th hole.   That way I only get depressed once during the round  :D

I know friends that keep the +1 or -1 method, but to me, that can and has led to some errors, as opposed to just writing the actual numbers.  But like I said, I'm old school in some ways. 

I agree with you, my friend.   Golf and poker, ya count em when its over.

In a tournament I played in, I was thrown into a group with a guy who just turned back to amateur for my first two rounds. He said for tournaments, you only have to put the scores and the people running the booth tally them up for you and officially mark your total.

The last day you got paired up with folks from your same flight based on your scores to that point (at the time I was 5th flight). I did the non-total for the playing partners I had to keep score for and they threw a tantrum that I didn't put the totals for them. Can't win for losing huh?

Yeah its such a little thing to me. Honestly I don't care how other people keep my score as long as it's accurate. But you won't believe how upset people can get if it's different to them. One guy that plays in our group I refuse to keep score for. He wants it done a certain way, symbols for birdies and bogeys players names are to be arranged by handicap top to bottom. Its a mess. I almost feel bad for him, the guy is a retired school principal and has been kicked out of five different groups, this is his first year playing with us, and honestly if things don't get better I don't thing he will be invited back. I could start a thread on all the stuff we have had to put up with lol.

Yeah its such a little thing to me. Honestly I don't care how other people keep my score as long as it's accurate. But you won't believe how upset people can get if it's different to them. One guy that plays in our group I refuse to keep score for. He wants it done a certain way, symbols for birdies and bogeys players names are to be arranged by handicap top to bottom. Its a mess. I almost feel bad for him, the guy is a retired school principal and has been kicked out of five different groups, this is his first year playing with us, and honestly if things don't get better I don't thing he will be invited back. I could start a thread on all the stuff we have had to put up with lol.

If one were to look up the word "anal" in a dictionary, is that guys picture there.

Isn't the easy compromise to make him keep his own score?

He like to drive his cart and always says the rider is the one who is responsible for keeping score. It's just a little challenge the group will either solve or he won't be playing with us.

That's funny. At the clubs near me, the steering wheel holds the scorecard.

I dunno why but Farva comes to mind when I picture this guy.

IMG_4358.JPG

Close but skinnier. Honestly think of the stereotypical male highschool principal. Make him in his early 60s and boom that's him.

Right down to complaining about the new members with their boomboxes and sneaker golf shoes. I honestly find it hilarious since I never ride with him because I listen to music when I play and will rock new balance shoes on some days.

Close but skinnier. Honestly think of the stereotypical male highschool principal. Make him in his early 60s and boom that's him.

Right down to complaining about the new members with their boomboxes and sneaker golf shoes. I honestly find it hilarious since I never ride with him because I listen to music when I play and will rock new balance shoes on some days.

As an old coot, even older than the guy you discuss, your post reminds me how lucky I am.   Outside of my senior association, I play mostly with the young bucks or at least younger bucks (at my age, its difficult to find playing partners older than me many times).   My younger playing partners have always been welcoming and enjoyable.   Even when they say--you don't play bad for someone your age-I just say thank you and smile because I know they mean well and perceive it to be complimentary.

He like to drive his cart and always says the rider is the one who is responsible for keeping score. It's just a little challenge the group will either solve or he won't be playing with us.

That's funny. At the clubs near me, the steering wheel holds the scorecard.

I dunno why but Farva comes to mind when I picture this guy.

attachicon.gifIMG_4358.JPG

Agreed, I've never heard of the rider keeping the score.  Unless he wants to keep a separate card for his own use after the round.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Agreed, I've never heard of the rider keeping the score.  Unless he wants to keep a separate card for his own use after the round.  

I drive and my wife keeps score, although I also keep score in my head with the +/- method.  I wouldn't mind keeping score, but she just wants to.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I write down my score and I also do circles and squares. I do the +/- method for keeping score in my head. I always know what I'm at, which isn't really a good thing...

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

These guys? They've got that attitude down.

IMG_4376.JPG

IMG_4375.JPG

As an old coot, even older than the guy you discuss, your post reminds me how lucky I am. Outside of my senior association, I play mostly with the young bucks or at least younger bucks (at my age, its difficult to find playing partners older than me many times). My younger playing partners have always been welcoming and enjoyable. Even when they say--you don't play bad for someone your age-I just say thank you and smile because I know they mean well and perceive it to be complimentary.

I love golf because I play with such a different group of people. Handicap and up tees really does allow anyone to play with anyone. Now that's talking about skill, personality is something different. And I think that's where the principal and I differ.

I end up playing with the older crowd because most folks my age want to play golf as fast as they can then go do something else. I love to older mentally, you play a round than enjoy a few drinks on the 19th, maybe a cigar, and settle your bets. I am very luck to have an amazing wife that understands all of this is part of playing golf and puts up with me doing this a few times a week.

I'll stop here though I don't want this thread getting anymore off topic

Here it is guys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strokes&hl=en

Sure I use a scorecard too at times. However, I use the Golf Strokes & Bets app because when I play we always gamble/wager and have several bets going. This app is the best I've found so far. Been using it for a few years.

Sorry Apple guys. It's Android only at this time.

BTW. This app is scoring and bets only. None of the other fluff like GPS, Social, hcp, etc.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I love golf because I play with such a different group of people. Handicap and up tees really does allow anyone to play with anyone. Now that's talking about skill, personality is something different. And I think that's where the principal and I differ.

I end up playing with the older crowd because most folks my age want to play golf as fast as they can then go do something else. I love to older mentally, you play a round than enjoy a few drinks on the 19th, maybe a cigar, and settle your bets. I am very luck to have an amazing wife that understands all of this is part of playing golf and puts up with me doing this a few times a week.

I'll stop here though I don't want this thread getting anymore off topic

Sounds like it's time to start that thread you advertised. I wanna hear stories about Principal Farva.

I use that exact method. I find it works better for me. If im playing in an actual tournament i will write down the actual score

In My Bag

TM Stealth +, PX T1100 ,6.5 

TM Stealth+ Rocket 3W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM Stealth 5W, PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon GOST 95HX

TM P790 5-PW TT DG X100

TM Hi Toe Raw 50, 54, 58

Evnroll ER5 

Snell MTB X YELLOW

Lately I've been using an app to keep score in addition to the card, so I can look at them later and look for trends, although it does not take rocket scientist and fancy charts to know my misses are to the right 99.999% of the time.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Archived