Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

How do you keep score?

STUDque

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Walking by myself, just the -/+ in my head. If playing with someone else and riding I'll use a scorecard and will keep track of putts, GIR, and Fairways Hit in addition to score. I feel i have more time to write all of it down when using a cart.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

If I'm keeping score on a card (I typically just use Game Golf) I prefer to do the -1, -, +1 method, but the league I'm in requires the more traditional approach of writing down the actual number of strokes. I started drawing the shapes too because I kept screwing up the total.

I think it's much easier to just look at how much you're over/under and then add/subtract from par. That's all anyone really does using the other method anyway. I just think it's easier to identify what's what using the -1, -, +1 method.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

I use my sky caddie to keep the score and stats and a scorecard if it's available.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I keep my own scorecard. And always write in total score and add up at the turn and end. In league we keep track of putts so I write scores big and in upper right corner of the box putts.. when anouncing score it is always as 1 number.. 42 score of 4 and 2 putts. Unless someone cracks double digits then we make sure they say 10 and 2.. we like to hear how bad it was since we watched we know it's bad...

Sent from my SM-G900V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I started using my phone a few years ago then went golfing with one of the pros I work with at the course I work at and he literally took the phone out of my hand and put it in his bag.

He said that the only way you are going to get better is to avoid distractions. I didnt realize but he was watching me for a few holes and noticed how I would check my email, send a text etc... Because I do it so much in my "normal" life I was oblivious on how much I did do that.

His line was great, "golf is enough work already, you dont need work getting in the way of golf"

Pencil and paper score card from here on out. 

8hhf0J5.png

I have a few scoring tricks I use- first, in the box, top right corner - a check mark indicates fairway hit, X indicates miss, S indicates sand trap

Left top corner, check indicates GIR, X indicates miss, S indicates sand

Center (large) indicates my gross score

bottom right corner number of putts - 1 or 3 - 2 putt is blank

bottom left can be used for your own note, or if you get a pop, or whatever you want

I also score by six hole sections - my current goal is to maintain 27 strokes or less per 6 holes- or shooting an 81.  this helps me stay focused and know where to push during the match, and what I need to work on at the range, if I ever have more than 15 minutes of range time before my tee time!!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

• 2 weeks later...

Is their an official way the tour players writes their scores? Do you write the total strokes hit per hole or only the hits after the par number.

I keep score for each hole by adding up the hits after par, just easier to count after each 9.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

They write down the total number of strokes for an official card.

As for easy to to add up at the end.... make a dash for pars, circle for birdies, square for bogey.  Fill in the circle for an eagle, fill in the square for a double.  Super easy to add up at the end.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

As for easy to to add up at the end.... make a dash for pars, circle for birdies, square for bogey. Fill in the circle for an eagle, fill in the square for a double. Super easy to add up at the end.

I always wondered that. Thanks for the info

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

As for easy to to add up at the end.... make a dash for pars, circle for birdies, square for bogey.  Fill in the circle for an eagle, fill in the square for a double.  Super easy to add up at the end.

Just like they do on the scorecard on a televised event--- BTW an official card has a preforated tab on the bottom you tear off because you are keeping your opponent's score and he keeps yours. You write your score on that tab and tear it off after the round and it lines up so you can keep tabs of your score. I might have some of my old ones from events but I am not sure where

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

As for easy to to add up at the end.... make a dash for pars, circle for birdies, square for bogey. Fill in the circle for an eagle, fill in the square for a double. Super easy to add up at the end.

What do I draw for triples and quads B)

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

I usually do tears lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Lessons!!  :D

My Sunday group plays a modified stableford where in addition to eagles, birdies pars and bogies getting points, double bogey is 0, and triple is minus 1, quad is minus 2 and in the pocket.  This adjustment actually helps level the playing field when you have 20+ handicappers playing alongside single digit players.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

A smiley face and a snowman :)

At my handicap I can't take anything more than a double so it doesn't come up.  I just put a dot next to the double on the card but it saves me from having to ESC the score after the round.

A big ol' F-BOMB!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I can still add the actual numbers up easily enough.  I know this skill is becoming extinct in the age of computers and cell-phone calculators, but its really not that tough for us old guys.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I can still add the actual numbers up easily enough. I know this skill is becoming extinct in the age of computers and cell-phone calculators, but its really not that tough for us old guys.

Not to jack the thread or anything, but I'm 22 and going through middle and high school, very few of my classmates were able to do simple mental math. Bowling from the time I could walk and playing darts when I was 13 did help out, but it was ridiculous some of the simple questions people would pull their calculators out for.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I can still add the actual numbers up easily enough.  I know this skill is becoming extinct in the age of computers and cell-phone calculators, but its really not that tough for us old guys.

That's because us old guys learned REAL reading writing and arithmetic and real history too!!! Heard a WW2 veteran on TV the other night that was giving a talk at a high school in California. He was introduced by a girl high school senior as a veteran of World War ELEVEN! I spelled it out so one would get the meaning. Makes you wonder WTF they are teaching in school these days?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Not to jack the thread or anything, but I'm 22 and going through middle and high school, very few of my classmates were able to do simple mental math. Bowling from the time I could walk and playing darts when I was 13 did help out, but it was ridiculous some of the simple questions people would pull their calculators out for.

Kudos to you for being able and willing to do that. Back when I was building race cars I did trig of course you know on the angles of the roll cages and suspension etc. I did all the figures in my head but would write the final angle on a mini chalkboard that I had magnets glued to. Believe it or not I still know how to use a slide ruler and know how to read micrometers old school and not digital ones. In fact when my late son was in high school his math teacher had me come one day in a combination shop/math class and show them how to read micrometers and dial indicators. This was back in 95

G

That's because us old guys learned REAL reading writing and arithmetic and real history too!!! Heard a WW2 veteran on TV the other night that was giving a talk at a high school in California. He was introduced by a girl high school senior as a veteran of World War ELEVEN! I spelled it out so one would get the meaning. Makes you wonder WTF they are teaching in school these days?

Heck, I wonder if there will come a time when people will stop going to the golf course.   They will stay home, hit into a net and play virtual golf on their computer simulators.   Keeping score will be easy, the computer will do it for them.   

I'm perfectly capable of adding numbers in my head thank you very much.  Plus we always play scotch and have to keep track of that too.

I'm perfectly capable of adding numbers in my head thank you very much.  Plus we always play scotch and have to keep track of that too.

How many shots of scotch do you consume in a typical round.   Just kidding, I'm not familiar with playing scotch, what exactly is it.   

I use the Golfshot+ app to keep score and track FIR, GIR, and Putts.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

How many shots of scotch do you consume in a typical round.   Just kidding, I'm not familiar with playing scotch, what exactly is it.   

It's vodka lemonade on the course :)

I'm sure there are other names for the game, but we call it scotch.  It sound complicated to write out, but easy once you play it.

It's a team game so 2 vs 2.  High and low guy together and then middle 2 together.  There are 5 possible points each hole.  1 point for neary, 1 point for low individual, 1 point for low team, 1 point for birdie and if you get all 4 of those you get a bonus point.  We also play that if you 3-putt the neary you lose the point and if both players on a team birdie there is a bonus 6th point.  We start at level 3 so each point is actually worth 3 points.  The team behind can press (bump the level) on any tee box before people have hit.  We reset back to level 3 at the turn.  50 cents a point at the end rounded down.  Any hole that no points are awarded is an auto-press and the level get's bumped up.

So say we are at level 7.  Team 1 has the neary and gets 2 pars, team 2 gets two bogeys.  Team 1 would have neary, low individual and low total for 3 points, but at level 7 it's 21 points.

Kudos to you for being able and willing to do that. Back when I was building race cars I did trig of course you know on the angles of the roll cages and suspension etc. I did all the figures in my head but would write the final angle on a mini chalkboard that I had magnets glued to. Believe it or not I still know how to use a slide ruler and know how to read micrometers old school and not digital ones. In fact when my late son was in high school his math teacher had me come one day in a combination shop/math class and show them how to read micrometers and dial indicators. This was back in 95

That's pretty incredible! I was decent in figuring out angles mentally with trig but would use my calculator to double check, and I haven't actually seen a slide ruler in person.

I'm sure there are other names for the game, but we call it scotch.  It sound complicated to write out, but easy once you play it.

It's a team game so 2 vs 2.  High and low guy together and then middle 2 together.  There are 5 possible points each hole.  1 point for neary, 1 point for low individual, 1 point for low team, 1 point for birdie and if you get all 4 of those you get a bonus point.  We also play that if you 3-putt the neary you lose the point and if both players on a team birdie there is a bonus 6th point.  We start at level 3 so each point is actually worth 3 points.  The team behind can press (bump the level) on any tee box before people have hit.  We reset back to level 3 at the turn.  50 cents a point at the end rounded down.  Any hole that no points are awarded is an auto-press and the level get's bumped up.

So say we are at level 7.  Team 1 has the neary and gets 2 pars, team 2 gets two bogeys.  Team 1 would have neary, low individual and low total for 3 points, but at level 7 it's 21 points.

That does sound a bit complicated.   Reminds me of the first and only time I played Wolf.   I ended up getting about $50 and had no idea it could come to that much.   Also, I still have no idea how I won that much, just considered myself lucky.   A buddy on the other hand had to find an ATM.  

That's just unbelievable...and sad!!

I think I need a a bit of that scotch after reading that...LOL

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm sure there are other names for the game, but we call it scotch. It sound complicated to write out, but easy once you play it.

It's a team game so 2 vs 2. High and low guy together and then middle 2 together. There are 5 possible points each hole. 1 point for neary, 1 point for low individual, 1 point for low team, 1 point for birdie and if you get all 4 of those you get a bonus point. We also play that if you 3-putt the neary you lose the point and if both players on a team birdie there is a bonus 6th point. We start at level 3 so each point is actually worth 3 points. The team behind can press (bump the level) on any tee box before people have hit. We reset back to level 3 at the turn. 50 cents a point at the end rounded down. Any hole that no points are awarded is an auto-press and the level get's bumped up.

So say we are at level 7. Team 1 has the neary and gets 2 pars, team 2 gets two bogeys. Team 1 would have neary, low individual and low total for 3 points, but at level 7 it's 21 points.

I play something similar. Best and worst together the two in the middle together. Each point is worth .25. One point for a greenie (hitting the green in regulation) one for low score, one for total low score, one for chipawah (in one player from each team doesn't hit green in regulation the chip closest to the pin wins a point), one point for polie (making a putt from outside the length of the flag stick), one for birdie, if one guy pars and the other 3 bogey they get (extras) 3 points. I might be missing something hard to remember everything. If you're down you can also press making points double .50. If both partners press and take the lead the both players from other team press points could get up to $3. Most of the time you only win/lose $5-$10. Sometimes it's gets out of control and it's $40-$50.

Blake

CobraConnectChallenge3

• 11 months later...

I am actually curious of how many different scoring apps, watches, devices, etc, that golfers use to keep track of your score. Do you use the traditional paper scorecard and pencil, use any one of about 500 apps on your phone, a gps device on your wrist or other bodily part, or something else?

My wife gave me a Garmin Approach S20 for Christmas, which serves both as a GPS distance device, as well as tracks my score. I can then download the entire round to my phone in the Garmin app that shows me where all my bad and horrible shots went and how little distance they went.

I used to track most of my scores in the GolfPadGPS app on my phone, which was kinda cool, because not only could I get GPS distance, I could keep track of everyone in my group's score at the same time and then email them their scores if they wanted them.

I've also used the Teeoff app for GPS and my score, as well as the Golfnow appm which also did the same thing.

But I'm guessing that if there are 100 people here at MGS, there will be 100 different answers as to how you track score and/or check distance.

And I guess all of this curiosity was generated out of my discovery of the Bluegolf website and what appears to be a maze of apps and offerings. I'd really be interested in hearing from anyone who uses bluegolf for anything, because frankly I've spent half of my day checking out their apps and playing with them, all honestly is VERY confusing and convoluted. I feel like I am pretty tech savvy with apps and websites, but the folks at bluegolf have me scratching my head at how it's supposed to work.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Archived