Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How do you measure a successful score?

SteddyGolf

At the end of a round what is your measure of a successful outing? Is it purely your numbered score against the course rating? Or is it the number of birdies opposed to bogeys?

Maybe its that one singularly memorable shot that makes you believe in yourself? Could the measure of a successful round be none of the aforementioned and more focused on the softer skills like the intangibles of friendship, fellowship and good ole conversation?

What brings you back again and again?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

As for the golf itself, laying aside for the moment the things like friendship you mention, my satisfaction with the round is normally tied to my iron play. Not because I consciously make it so. But take two rounds:

1. I shoot an 83 in which I'm missing every green, or

2. I shoot an 88 in which I've hit greens and the putts just don't fall.

Most likely, I'll feel better about the second. It's interesting to me: I've found that I can normally guess whether Game Golf is going to like my Approach game based on how I feel about the round.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Striking the ball well, chipping well and putting well. If all that is good I know the scores will come

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Striking the ball well, chipping well and putting well. If all that is good I know the scores will come

Same with me.  I don't make many birdies; sometimes none during a round, so a good round for me is not making any doubles and few bogeys.  My key to a good round is making pars, and to do that I have to hit fairways and chip and putt well.

However, I can have a miserable scoring round and still have a lot of fun with the right company.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It’s all based on how well I hit the ball. Bad shots are going to happen for everyone. The less I have the better I am feeling at the end of the round.

just being on thecourse brings me enjoyment. If I had a bad round the feeling of that lasts for about as long as it takes toget back to the car. I never let a bad round affect my enjoyment or carry over to everyday life 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The desire to repeat those "pure" iron strikes and watching with anticipation to see just how close to the flag it will end up is #1 for me.  Like @Kenny B, I also consider minimizing the damage on a hole where I've gone OB or into a hazard. Keeping what is most likely a triple to a double, or a double to a bogey, is a win on the scorecard.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Hmmm? There's probably a lot ways to define success depending on who you're asking. Success for me is carding a round at 75 or less. Within that wrapper I might add no doubles, 2-3 birdies, hitting lots of fairways & greens, etc. etc. Yesterday was my first round of the year where I shot a 74. Successful? I think so. However, I carded a double on #6 after making a poor decision. Looking back on the round in total I managed to hit 11 fairways and 11 greens, one sand save for par, putted well but only made one birdie!?! There were also several "if I had only done this or that." On the social side I was paired with a guy i'd never met and we hit it off. We played a similar game, same age, our circle of friends overlapped, etc. I found it interesting we'd never met before. We'll be friends and he'll join our saturday game and fit right in. So, my first round of 2019 was successful all around.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

17 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

As for the golf itself, laying aside for the moment the things like friendship you mention, my satisfaction with the round is normally tied to my iron play. Not because I consciously make it so. But take two rounds:

1. I shoot an 83 in which I'm missing every green, or

2. I shoot an 88 in which I've hit greens and the putts just don't fall.

Most likely, I'll feel better about the second. It's interesting to me: I've found that I can normally guess whether Game Golf is going to like my Approach game based on how I feel about the round.

I'm with you on this. I've had a lot better scores on days where I didn't feel I hit the ball particularly well. I sprayed tee shots to both sides of the fairway and  missed greens from 100 yards and closer. By some lucky recovery shots I ended up scoring well. I'd rather play well and score higher (is that really possible?) than duff and luck my way to a good score...lol.

But, as they say...... the score is what matters, not how you got there. 😉

The Title of the thread is a bit different from the first post, really.  Defining a "successful score", for me, means something maybe a stroke above par (course rating) net, that puts it well within my best 50%.  I can get as much satisfaction from hitting the ball consistently well, hitting a bunch of greens, making the score "easy", as I can from hitting the ball poorly scrambling all day long for good scores.

Generally, however, every day on the golf course is a good day.  I'm either spending time with friends, or making new friends, while trying to do my best at a pretty difficult game.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Everyday on the golf course is enjoyable, and keeps me coming back.

If we are discussing scoring success, it's playing below my course handicap. Anything above is my course handicap means I didn't play to the best of my ability and being a perfectionist, it drives me crazy. It makes me want to come back and play better. If I play below my course handicap, I'm happy and want to come back and do it again. 

Yeah, I'm addicted. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Somedays it’s how low did I go but others it’s how well I played on certain areas of my game. Like if I drove it poorly and had great short game that day and my scored stayed around my average then I know I’m improving just didn’t have it that day.

Chipping away at my handicap isn’t gonna be lighting the course on fire every time but consistent improvements over a long time. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

By height 🙂

76 or lower - happy

77-79 - meh

80+ - unhappy

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

The Title of the thread is a bit different from the first post, really.  Defining a "successful score", for me, means something maybe a stroke above par (course rating) net, that puts it well within my best 50%.  I can get as much satisfaction from hitting the ball consistently well, hitting a bunch of greens, making the score "easy", as I can from hitting the ball poorly scrambling all day long for good scores.
Generally, however, every day on the golf course is a good day.  I'm either spending time with friends, or making new friends, while trying to do my best at a pretty difficult game.

You are absolutely correct. I definitely missed the mark with that title. It should have been “how do you measure a successful round”. My mind said one thing while my fingers entered another :(

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It can be as little as one great shot, or putt.

right now at my new club, hitting a green is good, they’re on the small side. And obviously a good score. 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

By height

76 or lower - happy
77-79 - meh
80+ - unhappy

I second this

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Without sounding cocky, I can look back and be proud of the great golf I have played. As a guy who never joined a club or had lessons I’ve finished T-11 in NCAA regionals and I’ve had a couple top 10’s in some sectional events. I was able to pass my PAT on the first try.

Right now, I am enjoying 4-5 hours with my buddies in a scramble or an afternoon round to get out of the house. If I hit one one the screws or hit one tight, that’s good for me.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Like this topic because it depends on the round with me. I've shot 85 and been really happy or shot 85 and been disappointed. One hole could blow up a rounds score. Think it comes down to the shots that I hit and the contact I made. If I'm striping the ball but not getting bounces I'd be happier than a round where I relied on luck to card something decent.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I'm happy with my play if I'm striking the ball well, specifically my irons. A pure iron shot just makes me smile. 😄

Any day on the course is a good one. I certainly have moments of frustration, but every outing is a net positive. If that ever stops being the case I'd likely have to take a break and reassess what I want to get out of that time.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Because I am a relatively crappy golfer, any score less than 100 is a winner for me. I soon hope to move that mark to 90. What keeps me coming back? Oh those sweet sounding metal-wood shots that go like a Star Wars laser, or the one 130-yd PW shot that hits the green like a dart.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Score wise in the 70s or even low 80s if I played consistent .

If I strike the ball well and take no chunks around the greens chipping,  no penalties, and no doubles or worse, Im generally satisfied. I dont make tons of birdies so I  find a way for pars and limit bogeys. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I define a successful round as one that is par or better. This is something I strive for each round I play. If I can keep my mind positive and hit the shots I know I can hit then most of the time I will have a successful score and thus a successful round.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Too often I find myself falling into the trap of comparing the day's round to 'best round ever'.  I need to focus more on general performance than on score. 

Lately it's been just accruing too many penalties. The last year or so I've been struggling through a stretch of just swinging badly. I've gone from a low 10 back up to a 15. It's been VERY frustrating to know that low 80 scores are within my capability but right now having to find ways to be satisfied with scores around 100.

I used to start each round with the goal of 4 pars per side and no three putts, and measure success by how few double bogeys I managed. Right now I have to say less than 3 penalties, 40% fairways and 33% GIRs, would be a successful round.

I'm working on it though.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Success Golfing is subject to a multitude of variables for each person, and perspective. I have shot upper 80's and had a great and successful day, i have also shot low 80's and success was not in the discussion afterwards.  Each one of us has to decide that for themselves. 

A cold rainy day might produce a upper 80's round. and be very successful. and a beautiful fall day might be unsuccessful with a low 80's round.. 

But being able to play golf and enjoy what brings us all here is great in itself... 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

• 2 weeks later...

Anything at or below my number. I will say if I have an awful 9, 45+ and I come back with a good back 9.  I’m happy with how I overcame my crappy play to start. But even if I shoot my best round ever I always look back and wonder what if. So am I really ever happy probably not?  

Well par is always a good spot to start, but I prefer to focus on making shots and let the score happen. If I get too focused on shooting a score then I tend to get ahead of myself or dwell on previous holes then force shots I shouldn’t. I’m that fella who says one shot at a time, I wish I could think holes in advance like some players but I just get into trouble. Hats off to the players who can though.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Can I also point out when it's a round away from home and I struggle, sometimes it's successful because I got away? For instance, going to play a round on a Friday and posting a 95 after taking a well earned day off and doing a day trip is a lot more successful than a 82 on a weekend when I need to get stuff done.

I have to remind myself that golf is an escape and use it sometimes as such, score be damned.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

While my standard measurement is my score and I'm always looking to do better that the previous round. However, I also temper that with parts of my game that I've been working on, I.e. short game etc.

Example: while I might have the same score as my previous round if I've been working on chipping and I did that well I'd consider the round a success.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel