Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Sluggo42

Grips... get a grip

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Do tell us more about that potential new driver emoji41.png

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I'm leaning towards a G400 of some flavour, but I'm willing to try all drivers around the $400 mark and see what fits best.

8 hours ago, Ronoc said:

How did you go about choosing Pure Grip? Did you have a chance to check them out before purchasing?
I ask since I have read into them and followed via social media and thought about going that route. I just have a hard to going with a grip that I haven’t been able to feel out before purchasing. emoji848.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I just took a punt on them a few years ago from reading about them on here. I moved from the Pro to the DTX, again on a punt, a love them. You could just order one at about $6 or 7 and see if you like it. If you don't, you're only out 3 Starbucks coffees. BTW, I got mine on Amazon for $69 for 13, which is an absolute steal and they came from Grips4Less, who is an authorised reseller.

• Like 2

One thing I’ve learned about grips, is that it mostly boils down to your own personal feel and how well you hit the shots with each grip. I went down a deep rabbit whole of researching grips last season. When I read too much Into the “do’s and dont’s” it made the decision that much harder. I was reading smaller grips cause a hook, bigger grips cause a slice. I read articles stating the opposite as well. The best thing I did, was quit researching, buy one of each grip your gut wants to try, and test them out. I assure you eventually one will feel better than the other. Information - Overload can cause you to become biased during that testing process. Keep an open mind, and pick what feels best for your game. Best of Luck!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BenjaminButtonz said:

One thing I’ve learned about grips, is that it mostly boils down to your own personal feel and how well you hit the shots with each grip. I went down a deep rabbit whole of researching grips last season. When I read too much Into the “do’s and dont’s” it made the decision that much harder. I was reading smaller grips cause a hook, bigger grips cause a slice. I read articles stating the opposite as well. The best thing I did, was quit researching, buy one of each grip your gut wants to try, and test them out. I assure you eventually one will feel better than the other. Information - Overload can cause you to become biased during that testing process. Keep an open mind, and pick what feels best for your game. Best of Luck!

couldn't agree more!

After research I had no idea what to do- so I went with what felt 'right'.

Spent time with a fitter who just kept adding tape, or grips until I liked how it felt.

Ended up with midsize grips + 2 tape layers on all clubs except driver and putter.

• Like 2

I'm still digging the Cobra Connect Lamkin RELs.  I'll probably be putting them on the non-Cobra clubs as they need regripping.

• Like 1

couldn't agree more!
After research I had no idea what to do- so I went with what felt 'right'.
Spent time with a fitter who just kept adding tape, or grips until I liked how it felt.

Ended up with midsize grips + 2 tape layers on all clubs except driver and putter.

I never did try extra layers of tape, but would be anxious to try this year at the range. The biggest indicator for me was purchasing a used set of Ping Glide wedges last year. All 3 were a set someone had ordered together and put MCC Plus 4 Midsize grips on them. Immediately they felt great in my hands, and as soon as I got them home and started chipping in the back yard, it felt like the clubs were swinging themselves. Afterwards picking up my trusty-rusty Cleveland 588 with a standard sized grip, it just didn’t feel as comfortable in my hands. This is what sparked the entire interest of new grips for me. I wanted to re-grip my irons next, but held off to see if I wind up purchasing new ones this year.

• Like 2

I've recently re gripped all my clubs with GP MCC standard with 3 layers of tape. While I love them, they won't be right for everyone. The only thing that matters with grips is to find the ones that feel good, and allow you to grip the club with the right tension. 

• Like 3

Well I just finished putting on my mcc+4’s after a successful week with a test grip on my 6 iron-

now just gotta wait this storm out...🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Well I just finished putting on my mcc+4’s after a successful week with a test grip on my 6 iron-

now just gotta wait this storm out...🙄

I had MCC +4 Aligns on my original set for the very reason you started this thread. Initially I liked them, but after fitting for driver where I found I liked a more standard diameter, I've since gone back to standard. No issues with the arthritis in my left hand, and I think I have better control with the smaller grips. I really did like the ridge and all, but alas they were just too big for me. FYI, I'm 5'10" and have fairly large hands. Now I do see that they have more options with the align than they did when I got mine, so they may be worth another look...

Anyhow, let us know how you get along with them!

I switched around a year ago to the MCC+4 midsize.  For me, great grips.   I don't have very large hands, wear a medium glove but I find I grip the club much softer with the midsize than the regulars I used to play.  

• Like 1

Added the MCC+4 midsize to my 9i today.
Slowly transitioning my irons to new grips this year and most likely going all in on the MCC+4s

I switched to Midsize Plus 2 tapes last year, clubs feel so much better.

I thought I was being silly until I heard even Bryson has HUGE grips along with others.

*edit* just noticed I said that mid Jan already on this thread- snr moment 🙄

• Haha 1