Forum Structure Change: Equipment, University, and *Community* Read more... ×
Win a Custom Wedge Wizard Wedge: MGS Trick Shot Challenge Read more... ×

Over the weekend I was reading an article about resume buzzwords that one should stop using.  With this past week being the start of new equipment releases it got me thinking about golf marketing buzzwords.

Whats your least favorite golf marketing buzzword or marketing approach?

• Like 1

Probably marketing irons entirely around distance gains. This one is galling, because even if it's true (as a lot of marketing isn't), it still isn't necessarily helpful.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Probably marketing irons entirely around distance gains. This one is galling, because even if it's true (as a lot of marketing isn't), it still isn't necessarily helpful.

Not to get on the “jacked lofts” discussion as there’s a lot that goes into that but distance gains via loft and/or length is one thing that bothers me in marketing. Imo brands do a very bad job at telling the story of why lofts are what they are on certain clubs anc how the design of launch and spin require it to be so and how that is going to affect distances. The new apex are a good example and someone playing cf16 is going to test the new ones and hit them further than cf16 and won’t know it’s because of design changes.

my other least favorite in innovative. Somethings are truly innovating but from year to year most tweaks aren’t.

• Like 1

Anything relating to distance!

The distance issue sailed past absurd several years ago.  If all the distance gains promised by OEM's were accurate, NASA has missed the boat on getting technological advancement from golf equipment manufacturers. 

• Like 1

On drivers, forgiveness, MOI, and "speed enhancing variable face thickness technology". 

On irons, any version of FOAM. Speedfoam, chocolate flavored urethane microspheres... ect. 

On wedges, GROOVES!

On putters, MOI and purer roll from a new insert or milling...

Did I miss anything?

• Like 3

This was obnoxious. Color shift paint technology? Everything doesn’t have to be a thing.

IMG_2240.JPG

37 minutes ago, GB13 said:

On drivers, forgiveness, MOI, and "speed enhancing variable face thickness technology". 

On irons, any version of FOAM. Speedfoam, chocolate flavored urethane microspheres... ect. 

On wedges, GROOVES!

On putters, MOI and purer roll from a new insert or milling...

Did I miss anything?

*cough* Yeah, sorry, I missed "SpeedBridge". 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

"guaranteed to take strokes off your game" 

Forgot about this one. Until the club starts making the swing by itself the club isn’t saving anyone 

• Love 1

For me there are 2. "Gain yards off the tee" and " No more chunked shots around the green with this blah, blah wedge"

Chris

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

"soft" balls....with layers.  layers upon layers upon layers... and 'special skin'....

Yeah... No one would hit those... 😜

*cue the groans*

Edited by GB13

So if XYZ OEM annoumces it's 2020 driver by saying.  "Heres oir new driver.  We like it snd we hope you buy it”.   How many would honestly give it a true look.    Im sure most of us here would ss we could tell if its better or not.   But as we’ve said many times, we are less than 1% of the club buying customers.   So average Joe, who walks into GG or PGASS may never give it a shot. 

All this said, these hyperbole marketing tactics are needed and do work   

• Like 3