Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hand Position for Putting

Another post in an existing thread got me to thinking about how others grip their putter.  I am right handed and think I use a "conventional" grip.  That is left hand on top and right hand below with left hand being the more dominant (right hand along for the ride).  I have never tried putting any other way; it's how I started as a yute. Aside from broom and claw style, how do you position your hands for putting? 

I haven't searched the forum, but do we have a thread similar to "here's my swing videos" for putting strokes?  That would be pretty interesting to see.  If I can get someone to run my cell phone, I'll try and post a clip of my grip and putting stroke.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I putt with a simple left hand low grip. (I'm a Righty.) Instead of putting with the left hand and the right hand along for the ride, my right hand is putting and my left hand is along for the ride. I went to left hand low after struggling with too much wrist hinge about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. It only took me about 3 rounds to adjust to the difference. IMHO, it's the easiest grip to transition to from the standard grip  

I remember reading somewhere that people that putt more the left hand have a more mechanical stroke while people that putt more with the right hand have a more feel based putting stroke. Neither one of these are inherently bad, you just need to figure out what type of putter you are! I'm 100% feel. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

6 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I putt with a simple left hand low grip. (I'm a Righty.) Instead of putting with the left hand and the right hand along for the ride, my right hand is putting and my left hand is along for the ride. I went to left hand low after struggling with too much wrist hinge about 3 years ago and haven't looked back. It only took me about 3 rounds to adjust to the difference. IMHO, it's the easiest grip to transition to from the standard grip  

I remember reading somewhere that people that putt more the left hand have a more mechanical stroke while people that putt more with the right hand have a more feel based putting stroke. Neither one of these are inherently bad, you just need to figure out what type of putter you are! I'm 100% feel. 

Absolutely correct!

I putt more with the right hand, and I consider myself a feel putter.  The left hand low grip does not work for me.  I tried it for several weeks, and I was horrible.  I described my grip in the other thread, but I don't have a problem with my right hand wrist hinge (normally), but I do have to practice a lot to maintain that hinge.  I do one-handed putts right-handed before I play and when I just practice..  

There is no one method for all; it's what feels good and gives consistent results.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm 100% feel. 

I think there is a sliding feel/mechanical scale and very few if any are at the extreme ends.

If you are 100% feel you should be able to walk up to a ball and roll it any distance with having to look at a target at all. When you look at the target you are figuring out the proper mechanics to dial in the feel you want.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am a left hand low putter. I am left side dominant therefore I use my left arm and shoulder to power my stroke. The left hand low grip is pretty standard with palms parallel and grip basically running down the lifeline to slightly on the heel pad.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

....read an interesting article about the "proper" putting stance/grip, etc. and they basically said to go take a look at how Jack putted and then forget about all that proper stuff.  I realize it was a different era and green speeds/grass was a little different but he was a fantastic putter and was - according to some - unorthodox.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....read an interesting article about the "proper" putting stance/grip, etc. and they basically said to go take a look at how Jack putted and then forget about all that proper stuff.  I realize it was a different era and green speeds/grass was a little different but he was a fantastic putter and was - according to some - unorthodox.

Yes, Jack was a great putter, but none of us have Jack's talent. He was unorthodox but 99.99% of us can improve with proper technique. Technique is "proper" for a reason. It works best (for most) in conjunction with basic human anatomy. Basic anatomy tells us that a shoulder rock is more consistent than a wrist hinge. That's why a shoulder rock is "proper". It doesn't mean you can't be a great putter with an improper stroke, a proper stroke just gives you the best chance at putting well. 

3 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Yes, Jack was a great putter, but none of us have Jack's talent. He was unorthodox but 99.99% of us can improve with proper technique. Technique is "proper" for a reason. It works best (for most) in conjunction with basic human anatomy. Basic anatomy tells us that a shoulder rock is more consistent than a wrist hinge. That's why a shoulder rock is "proper". It doesn't mean you can't be a great putter with an improper stroke, a proper stroke just gives you the best chance at putting well. 

I don't know....that seems to be the one part of golf where it is less technique required.... I've played with a lot of high cappers and some are actually quite good on the greens with varying techniques.

but I get your overall point.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

My left hand is on the grip first then I pretty much put my right hand onto my left hand except for my index finger and thumb. Both thumbs are on the flat part of the grip pointing downwards. If I could get a good picture of it somehow I would but i don't know how.

Thumbs parallel, left hand over right hand. Except for pinky and ring finger of left hand. Those two fingers are on the grip and where most of the grip pressure is. Allows me to use both hands together and not have them fight each other. I learned to putt by putting only with my dominant hand. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I switched to a "left-hand-low" grip early last season It just feels natural to me and I've stuck with it. I first grip the putter with my right hand and have that index finger extended down the right side of the grip and the thumb doing the same on the front of the grip. I set the head on the surface behind the ball and while looking at my target (not necessarily the hole), I wiggle my feet to get some sort of alignment. Then I'll bring in the left hand to "fill in the gaps". One more look...draw a visual line from the target back through the ball and into the putter line, laser-focus on the point of the ball I want the putter to hit and....3 putt...😕

Well the grip feels right anyway...

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I cannot put my right hand index finger (trail hand) down the shaft and putt well.  That finger will find some point in the stroke to put extra pressure on the grip, and I flip it ever so little but it's enough to miss the putt.

However, I do put my left hand index finger down the shaft, mostly because I have convinced myself that it does the opposite and prevents a flip.  Not sure it really does, but it feels good.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, GB13 said:

Anyone can putt well.  It is about getting things working together and a specific talent.  What specific talent did Jack have regarding putting that you can't achieve?   What is the definition of "proper".   You say shoulder rock,  well Tiger does pretty well with a right side powered stroke and an attempt to hook the ball.  Should my eyes be over the ball or inside?  How much inside is acceptable?  Loren Roberts had a stroke that was biased to the left.  

There are lots of things that can give you the best chance at putting well.  It is about avoiding things that conflict and unless you make every putt,  you can always putt better and that can be achieved in multiple ways,  better technique,  better technology,  better fitting, etc.  

Hitting a golf ball and putting have nothing in common. They’re two different games. You work all your life to perfect a repeating swing that will get you to the greens, and then you have to try to do something that is totally unrelated. There shouldn’t be any cups, just flag sticks. And then the man who hit the most fairways and greens and got closest to the pins would be the tournament winner. – Ben Hogan

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I seem to switch my grip style multiple times throughout the season, as I can’t find anything that’s comfortable. I’m going to attempt to stick with a standard interlock grip this season, just like with every other club.... we’ll see how that goes.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

My putter grip started as a conventional interlock grip and over the years has slowly transformed into what I use now.
As a righty, I place the putter behind the ball with just my right hand. I wiggle my feet to get comfortable and aligned. I then grip the putter with my left hand and put my index finger down the side of the shaft. I then place my right hand on the grip interlocking my left middle/right pinky fingers and run my right index finger down the other side if the grip while overlapping my thumbs.

I started doing this about 2 years ago and this just feels like I have more control of the putter. The combination of this grip and a putter with toe hang allowed me to have the best year putting of my life!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Anyone can putt well.  It is about getting things working together and a specific talent.  What specific talent did Jack have regarding putting that you can't achieve?   What is the definition of "proper".   You say shoulder rock,  well Tiger does pretty well with a right side powered stroke and an attempt to hook the ball.  Should my eyes be over the ball or inside?  How much inside is acceptable?  Loren Roberts had a stroke that was biased to the left.  

There are lots of things that can give you the best chance at putting well.  It is about avoiding things that conflict and unless you make every putt,  you can always putt better and that can be achieved in multiple ways,  better technique,  better technology,  better fitting, etc.  

I'm not saying there aren't execptions. There are no absolute rules per say when it comes to executing golf shots. What I am saying is, when people like Tiger specifically develop those unique quirks they are the execption not the rule. They have determined what works best for them, but it probably isn't a stroke they'd recommend to others since it requires specific timing. There are numerous quirks or affectations, one can develop for their stroke, but as a general theory, you should stay as proper as possible. 

I agree, you can always putt better using better technique, fittings, and tech. 

7 minutes ago, blackngold_blood said:

My putter grip started as a conventional interlock grip and over the years has slowly transformed into what I use now.
As a righty, I place the putter behind the ball with just my right hand. I wiggle my feet to get comfortable and aligned. I then grip the putter with my left hand and put my index finger down the side of the shaft. I then place my right hand on the grip interlocking my left middle/right pinky fingers and run my right index finger down the other side if the grip while overlapping my thumbs.

I started doing this about 2 years ago and this just feels like I have more control of the putter. The combination of this grip and a putter with toe hang allowed me to have the best year putting of my life!

I've heard this called the "prayer grip" ... or at least it sounds similar to that.  I think the idea is that if you hold your hands that way let go of the putter and hold them upright it is like you are praying.  I like it...I've toyed around with it a bit and I feel like I can really square the putter up nicely with it.  Besides, I'm always praying for the ball to go in anyway.  😉

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

11 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I'm not saying there aren't execptions. There are no absolute rules per say when it comes to executing golf shots. What I am saying is, when people like Tiger specifically develop those unique quirks they are the execption not the rule. They have determined what works best for them, but it probably isn't a stroke they'd recommend to others since it requires specific timing. There are numerous quirks or affectations, one can develop for their stroke, but as a general theory, you should stay as proper as possible. 

I agree, you can always putt better using better technique, fittings, and tech. 

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  Lot of ways to putt and ultimately,  there isn't a single proper way to putt.  Look at where this thread is going,  there isn't a "proper" way to hold a putter.  Putting is about choices and managing those choices to build and repeat a stroke that is consistent over time.  Here are four examples and what they recommend to others:

Pelz - use shoulders to drive stroke

Stockton - Use left arm to drive stroke

Tiger - Use Right arm to drive stroke

Utley - use both arms with passive shoulders.  

For each of them that is the "proper" way to putt.   

I think if you were to consider anything 'proper' the one aspect you'd find in common is consistency and repeatability....

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

25 minutes ago, cnosil said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  Lot of ways to putt and ultimately,  there isn't a single proper way to putt.  Look at where this thread is going,  there isn't a "proper" way to hold a putter.  Putting is about choices and managing those choices to build and repeat a stroke that is consistent over time.  Here are four examples and what they recommend to others:

Pelz - use shoulders to drive stroke

Stockton - Use left arm to drive stroke

Tiger - Use Right arm to drive stroke

Utley - use both arms with passive shoulders.  

For each of them that is the "proper" way to putt.   

I'm cool with that. Proper is what consistently works for you. 👍

Way too much attention is paid to the putting “stroke”. I focus on the target, which is now the flagstick that I have left in the hole.

I stand behind the ball and imagine the ball rolling towards the hole and where it would end up if I rolled it straight at the hole. Then I move left or right, looking down the line, imagining how the ball will break. Once that is determined, I line putter head perpendicular to that line and from that point on it’s all about speed. Total focus on getting the ball to the hole and hitting the flag and dropping in the hole.

I have noticed that sometimes I use a straight putting stroke with a 10 finger grip. Sometimes I may have a gap between my hands. Sometimes I have a short popping stroke with a conventional overlapping grip. And sometimes it is a longer more flowing stroke.

The reason for this variety is because I don’t pay any attention to the grip or the stroke. Good putting is starting the ball on the proper line and the proper speed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Way too much attention is paid to the putting “stroke”. I focus on the target, which is now the flagstick that I have left in the hole.

I stand behind the ball and imagine the ball rolling towards the hole and where it would end up if I rolled it straight at the hole. Then I move left or right, looking down the line, imagining how the ball will break. Once that is determined, I line putter head perpendicular to that line and from that point on it’s all about speed. Total focus on getting the ball to the hole and hitting the flag and dropping in the hole.

I have noticed that sometimes I use a straight putting stroke with a 10 finger grip. Sometimes I may have a gap between my hands. Sometimes I have a short popping stroke with a conventional overlapping grip. And sometimes it is a longer more flowing stroke.

The reason for this variety is because I don’t pay any attention to the grip or the stroke. Good putting is starting the ball on the proper line and the proper speed.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
I have noticed my BIL doing this a lot this year. Couldn't figure out why his stance and grip was never the same. He told me he simply addresses the ball and continues to look from ball to hole until he finds a line he thinks will make the ball go in. Then he putts. It was extremely strange to watch but he makes it work well.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I'm also a left hand low putter. I had trouble with pushing my putts a few years back. Decided to try left hand low for a round and never looked back. Just allows me to keep the putter face square through impact and keeps my wrists out of it. 

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I'm curious for those that use the left hand low technique-do you have a standard size grip or is it a larger diameter?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I'm curious for those that use the left hand low technique-do you have a standard size grip or is it a larger diameter?

Standard PING PP60 pistol grip. Not oversize, but slightly larger than average. 

45 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Superstroke 2.0 currently.  But I prefer the 1.0 or similar grip.  

Interesting.... I have always wondered if grip size makes a difference in how you hold the putter...

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Archived