Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Hand Position for Putting

14 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Interesting.... I have always wondered if grip size makes a difference in how you hold the putter...

I love the midsize putter grip (and irons for that matter) because it helps me keep tension out of my hands. If I keep tension out of my hands, especially putting, I am able to make a freer, more consistent stoke/swing.  Anything smaller, and I have to strangle the grip, and anything larger just isn't comfortable. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 hours ago, TSauer said:

I seem to switch my grip style multiple times throughout the season, as I can’t find anything that’s comfortable. I’m going to attempt to stick with a standard interlock grip this season, just like with every other club.... we’ll see how that goes.

It may work for you, but if I had to guess right now, I would say it won't work as well as other grips.  

Why?  With all of your other clubs, you want a "release".  With the putter, you really don't; well, not like the other clubs anyway.  The more passive the hands, the better chance you have IMO.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree.  Lot of ways to putt and ultimately,  there isn't a single proper way to putt.  Look at where this thread is going,  there isn't a "proper" way to hold a putter.  Putting is about choices and managing those choices to build and repeat a stroke that is consistent over time.  Here are four examples and what they recommend to others:

Pelz - use shoulders to drive stroke

Stockton - Use left arm to drive stroke

Tiger - Use Right arm to drive stroke

Utley - use both arms with passive shoulders.  

For each of them that is the "proper" way to putt.   

The ONLY thing I have in common with Tiger!!

If you watch Tiger on the putting green warming up, he always starts with right hand only putting just like I do.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived