Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 LPGA Priority List

tonyj5

• 2 weeks later...

@tonyj5you seem to have a vast knowledge and interest in the LPGA.  My 11 year old daughter and I were watching The Founders over the weekend.  I was surprised to learn that Betty Hicks won the World Championship of Golf in 1944.  I believe that's the right year although it's hard to verify given the records seem to be a well kept secret.

The tournament, also known as the Tam O'Shanter All-American Open, was open to anyone, male, female, amateur or professional.  Betty Hicks beat Byron Nelson by two shots, playing from the same tees, and was given a $500 check while Byron Nelson was named tournament champion and awarded a check for $10,000.  After further review, maybe those records are a secret because it wouldn't be a great look for Lord Byron to have had his ass handed to him by a woman.

Later in the film, it was pointed out that Louise Suggs beat a field of all men in a tournament in 1961 or 1962.  Sam Snead was so disgusted, he made a comment to Suggs in the parking lot where Suggs replied "Sam, I don't know what the hell you're bitching about because you weren't even 2nd!"

The headline of the newspaper article read "Louise Suggs beats men and it's humiliating!" 

I can easily imagine why much of this information is so very hard to find.  Any insight into books or other resources would be appreciated.  My daughter is a feisty spirit and would love more detail.  Thanks!

On 1/21/2019 at 9:27 AM, sixcat said:

@tonyj5you seem to have a vast knowledge and interest in the LPGA.  My 11 year old daughter and I were watching The Founders over the weekend.  I was surprised to learn that Betty Hicks won the World Championship of Golf in 1944.  I believe that's the right year although it's hard to verify given the records seem to be a well kept secret.

The tournament, also known as the Tam O'Shanter All-American Open, was open to anyone, male, female, amateur or professional.  Betty Hicks beat Byron Nelson by two shots, playing from the same tees, and was given a $500 check while Byron Nelson was named tournament champion and awarded a check for $10,000.  After further review, maybe those records are a secret because it wouldn't be a great look for Lord Byron to have had his ass handed to him by a woman.

Later in the film, it was pointed out that Louise Suggs beat a field of all men in a tournament in 1961 or 1962.  Sam Snead was so disgusted, he made a comment to Suggs in the parking lot where Suggs replied "Sam, I don't know what the hell you're bitching about because you weren't even 2nd!"

The headline of the newspaper article read "Louise Suggs beats men and it's humiliating!" 

I can easily imagine why much of this information is so very hard to find.  Any insight into books or other resources would be appreciated.  My daughter is a feisty spirit and would love more detail.  Thanks!

I can't find much on Betty Hicks, though your story is quite facinating.

Don't know if you checked Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Hicks

5 minutes ago, tonyj5 said:

I can't find much on Betty Hicks, though your story is quite facinating.

Don't know if you checked Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Hicks

"The Founders" is free to watch if you have an Amazon Prime account.  It is a fascinating piece of history that was produced by Stacy Lewis and Karrie Webb.

https://www.amazon.com/Founders-Bella-Lotz/dp/B0713R1W72/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1548281141&sr=8-2&keywords=the+founders

I'll keep searching for some books for my daughter. 

Thanks

Archived