Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

I swear golf helps me be a better bowler

Having had a successful carpel tunnel surgery done to my right hand a few years back has allowed me to comfortably get back into a couple of my most beloved sports; fly-fishing & bowling. Fly-fishing aside, I used to bowl quite a bit back in the 90's, what with 3 leagues a week plus Monte Carlo every Saturday and endless practice. Over time, the pain in my right hand an elbow quashed that and I had to quit. Not long after recovering from the surgery, I joined 2 leagues and rolled all winter. I roll in one league now (Mondays) and like last year, it overlaps with my newly-found sport of golf. Last year I noticed a marked up-tick in my bowling scores, especially if I played a round of golf that same weekend. That trend continued last night as well and there has GOT to be something to it. I was better focused on my marks and consistently hit it all night. Now I'd love to say I had a 900-series, but alas I only came in just above average (182) with a solid 552. But I came away as satisfied as I would on a day of golf with many more solid hits than not.

I believe that the focus and attention to detail that the game of golf demands, translates easily (at least for what I'm doing) to bowling, and I bet it also would do it for other sports and activities.

Have any of you experienced this "focus transfer" into other things you do? If so, what activities are they and what did you learn?

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

So you forced me to share this again:

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

20 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Having had a successful carpel tunnel surgery done to my right hand a few years back has allowed me to comfortably get back into a couple of my most beloved sports; fly-fishing & bowling. Fly-fishing aside, I used to bowl quite a bit back in the 90's, what with 3 leagues a week plus Monte Carlo every Saturday and endless practice. Over time, the pain in my right hand an elbow quashed that and I had to quit. Not long after recovering from the surgery, I joined 2 leagues and rolled all winter. I roll in one league now (Mondays) and like last year, it overlaps with my newly-found sport of golf. Last year I noticed a marked up-tick in my bowling scores, especially if I played a round of golf that same weekend. That trend continued last night as well and there has GOT to be something to it. I was better focused on my marks and consistently hit it all night. Now I'd love to say I had a 900-series, but alas I only came in just above average (182) with a solid 552. But I came away as satisfied as I would on a day of golf with many more solid hits than not.

I believe that the focus and attention to detail that the game of golf demands, translates easily (at least for what I'm doing) to bowling, and I bet it also would do it for other sports and activities.

Have any of you experienced this "focus transfer" into other things you do? If so, what activities are they and what did you learn?

It works for our Superintendent,  he's 7 handicap and i don't know how bowling handicaps work, but he averages about 246 and has 37 300's.    

Injuries have slowed him down, mostly shoulder.  There are times where it's almost impossible for him to make a backswing without pain.   He bowls about once or twice a week now, down from 4 to 5 and plays maybe two or three rounds of golf a week, down from about 5 or 6 as well.   B

he's till pretty darn impressive on both fronts from what i see. 

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So you forced me to share this again:

That is just awesome!!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

if you think you're good at bowling you need to try candlepin....I'd never heard/played it until I moved here and it is at least twice as difficult as ten pin/big ball; but yes, I can see a number of things that can apply to both sports.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Not for me... I'm a 4 handicap on course and about a 40 on the lanes. I consider myself to be an above average golfer, but a waaaaay below average bowler. I normally Bowl lower than my golf score... I'll just leave it at that...

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 1/8/2019 at 11:32 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

if you think you're good at bowling you need to try candlepin....I'd never heard/played it until I moved here and it is at least twice as difficult as ten pin/big ball; but yes, I can see a number of things that can apply to both sports.

For sure, I'm in a candlepin league here in MA, I like it much more than 10 pin, but you're right, it's quite a bit harder.  I'm around the middle of the pack with an 87 average - the top guy is around 100 - 102.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:32 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Fun candlepin fact:  the highest score ever recorded is 245 (it's been done twice, once in 1984 and tied in 2011).

28 minutes ago, Mike Lambert said:

Fun candlepin fact:  the highest score ever recorded is 245 (it's been done twice, once in 1984 and tied in 2011).

Yikes!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Archived