Sign in to follow this  
Golfspy_CG2

Most Wanted Testing -Update

Interesting. Are they tired of accurate/unbiased testing? We should just take their marketing claims at face value, I guess. 

• Like 2

I believe if I remember correctly and GSBarba can correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason for declining last year from what I read online from Harry was they felt the product needed to be fit to the actual tester to give it's true performance. 

Which on the surface sounds fine, but every other OEM that sends in drivers is doing so without it being fit.   They have a wide selection of shafts at MGS HQ and using club conex they are able to put just about any head on any shaft.  And most of the testers have been through enough testings to know what works best for them shaft wise.   

So as Vincent Gambini in My Cousin Vinny would say....The testimony doesn't hold water! 

• Like 6

I was going to put the epic Sub zero in the bag for my upcoming golfing trip, but with this I think I may throw the ping g400 back in. 

Considering how many consumers don't get fit and buy off the rack I don't see how that argument holds true. 

• Like 9

They have a wide selection of shafts at MGS HQ and using club conex they are able to put just about any head on any shaft.

While they have shafts in the wall, the clubs don’t have the club conex system. Whatever shafts that are provided by the manufacturer are the one that we get fit to. Generally it is just different flexes that are provided. Also there are some clubs that have glued shafts.
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

While they have shafts in the wall, the clubs don’t have the club conex system. Whatever shafts that are provided by the manufacturer are the one that we get fit to. Generally it is just different flexes that are provided. Also there are some clubs that have glued shafts.

Oh gotcha!  Thanks for the correction! 

Won’t the team just buy the drivers anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 minutes ago, revkev said:

Won’t the team just buy the drivers anyway?

Yeah, I thinks it's just the protest of, "If you won't write glowing reviews of our product, then you have to buy it at full price."

• Like 1

Interesting if the reason for Callaway not participating is 100% accurate. One would assume that Callaway therefore won't be selling any equipment without the purchaser first going through a fitting process. 

I'm certain that that will never happen, and that they are using an excuse rather than a reason  (just like me about my poor play😀)

• Like 6

Wow this is like Ford saying to Consumer Reports you can't have one of our cars to evaluate. Bad decision on Callaway's part.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_X said:

Every tester is fit with the option that gives him the most optimal results.  

Yep.   For example during today's driver testing we went through several of the drivers to pick shafts and loft to try and optimize my launch conditions.  Didn't help me hit the center of the clubface but that isn't a club problem.

• Like 5

I am interested in hitting more of these 2019 drivers as this seems to be the year of the driver.   All I can say is those of you that are interested in the Cobra F9,  it seems to be a the real deal.  Today i tested:  Bridgestone, Cobra, Wilson, and Cleveland.  For me they all performed about the same  regarding distance.  Interesting that during the fitting process we determined I needed to lower my launch angle to optimize,  but couldn't hit the center of the face enough to get consistent launch angle.  I was impressed with my swing speed to start the testing season.....average was in the 109 range;  that is up about 9 MPH from where I started last year.   Also tried the PXG,  it was sitting there and I couldn't just ignore the club,  it was asking to be hit.  I will be interested in what the number crunching comes up with as a recommendation.    Session 2 will be Thursday.  I don't know why,  but I am really excited about testing this year.   Putter selection looks nice as well; although,  I wish there was an Odyssey Stroke Lab or Toulon in the mix.   The equipment junkie in me wants to try that shaft; especially if I can see the results on the GC Quad.  

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am interested in hitting more of these 2019 drivers as this seems to be the year of the driver.   All I can say is those of you that are interested in the Cobra F9,  it seems to be a the real deal.  Today i tested:  Bridgestone, Cobra, Wilson, and Cleveland.  For me they all performed about the same  regarding distance.  Interesting that during the fitting process we determined I needed to lower my launch angle to optimize,  but couldn't hit the center of the face enough to get consistent launch angle.  I was impressed with my swing speed to start the testing season.....average was in the 109 range;  that is up about 9 MPH from where I started last year.   Also tried the PXG,  it was sitting there and I couldn't just ignore the club,  it was asking to be hit.  I will be interested in what the number crunching comes up with as a recommendation.    Session 2 will be Thursday.  I don't know why,  but I am really excited about testing this year.   Putter selection looks nice as well; although,  I wish there was an Odyssey Stroke Lab or Toulon in the mix.   The equipment junkie in me wants to try that shaft; especially if I can see the results on the GC Quad.  

Adding 9 mph in swing speed is big.  Did you do anything in particular to generate that?

1 minute ago, 00sportsman said:

Adding 9 mph in swing speed is big.  Did you do anything in particular to generate that?

Lost about 15 pounds through some exercise and diet.  I think increased leg strength helped build a more solid base to let me generate some more speed.  Haven't played any more of less golf that last year at this time so it has to be the improved fitness.  

• Like 4

Well, I’m down 16 lbs since nov. 11th now. Wondering if I’ll see some improvements like that soon. Fingers crossed!

• Like 6

That’s too bad :(