Sign in to follow this  
Golfspy_CG2

Most Wanted Testing -Update

Unfortunately calling has been reading their own press and over the last 2 years imo have gotten a little to cocky and like string on the high horse and now don’t want to play. Imo with the success of the g400 line and seeing guys across the Internet swapping from rogue or epic to g400 because the numbers were better or on course performance in dispersion with epic and rogue weren’t consistent the staff at Callaway don’t want people to see that their latest edition isn’t anything significant in improvement with numbers especially this year with the number of drivers that are going to be as fast and as long.

i get it they have more to lose if the numbers don’t match their marketing claims and the story of a super computer and AI but if you are that confident the “put your money whet your mouth is”

• Like 1

I just don't get the reasoning here. I know that Callaway is very protective of their image & brand conscious to the extreme, and I mean that as the highest of compliments. I don't think there's a golf OEM out there that does marketing & social media engagement like Callaway does. As a result, you think that there'd be initiative on their end to have more stories out there about the clubs. If the results don't fit the message, that's not the fault of the clubs or the testers - that's on the marketing. 

Bottom line, Callaway knows that MGS is going to buy the clubs anyways and test them, so why deal with the fallout of refusing to participate? I get that more and more OEMs are conscious about sending out too many clubs, seems like every other day there's a new blog or podcast that wants to do reviews, Twitter is filled with people begging for free gear, however MGS is recognized as being one of the best, if not the best, logo agnostic review sources around. 

• Like 2

Maybe they just don't want to see that their "flash face" is just a flash in the pan...

• Like 3

This is disappointing. I wonder if they will do their own testing. I saw something somewhere that Callaway was looking for testers.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

16 hours ago, revkev said:

Won’t the team just buy the drivers anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That's what I said on twitter. At the very least, if you supply the product, you have control over what you're sending, which shafts etc. Callaway has to know they will just buy the clubs anyway, that's what happened last year and every other year a major OEM has declined to participate. Seems silly to me, but golf OEM's consistently want to control the message reviewers send out, and MGS doesn't let you do that. Plus, they send clubs to guys like Rick Shiels and Mark Crossfield without them being custom fit, how is this different?

You would never see Ford not allow Car and Driver Magazine to test their cars unless they could guarantee good reviews and multiple gold medals for every model. The fact that golf is different is ridiculous to me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattF said:

Maybe they just don't want to see that their "flash face" is just a flash in the pan...

Imo that’s the reasoning. Harry said last year in a tweet thread that anyone who does a fitting will see that their driver will come out on top. Well we’ve people get fit and have ping or Tm come out on top against epic and rogue.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 2:06 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I believe if I remember correctly and GSBarba can correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason for declining last year from what I read online from Harry was they felt the product needed to be fit to the actual tester to give it's true performance. 

Emphasis above is my own.

I know I'm not alone in this -- while my local golf shop does have a Trackman fitting option at an upcharge, I see most people come in, say they want to demo a certain club, be given a few (regular, stiff, etc.) and then they are left to their own devices to trial them on the driving range or simulators. They MIGHT get some insight from one of the salespeople, but beyond generalizations like, "Oh, you swing your driver X MPH, you need this stiffness of shaft," there's not much fitting going on.

This is one of the areas where I think MGS excels -- it is testing the standard configurations for products, which in reality are the configurations most will end up buying. Sure, some will get on Trackman and order a custom shaft that fits their swing, but most won't.

If we've gotten to the point that they only way to realize the improvements Callaway is promising is through a deeper fitting, then those improvements aren't really all that monumental. Which, since drivers are coming right up on the edge of legal limits and have been for a while anyway, isn't terribly surprising.

• Like 3

One thing seems to be happening  for sure.. At this point in time, MGS is influencing more and more the differents segments and markets of the golf industry (ex. the Kirkland ball youtube mania). IMO the influence that MGS has obtain, has reach a critical mass that now seem to be directly influencing the control that golf companies have over there markets..

When you study business administration, the chapter about "Control" is some what important for sure.. Having this sector of there activities weakened , they probably will start to react even more as insecurity is starting to build up.. This is all for the goods I think at the end.. reaching a critical mass means moving and by the look of it presently it seem to be in the right direction.. 

Edited by Mpicurien
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Mpicurien said:

One thing seems to be happening  for sure.. At this point in time, MGS is influencing more and more the differents segments and markets of the golf industry (ex. the Kirkland ball youtube mania). IMO the influence that MGS has obtain, has reach a critical mass that now seem to be directly influencing the control that golf companies have over there markets..

When you study business administration, the chapter about "Control" is some what important for sure.. Having this sector of there activities weakened , they probably will start to react even more as insecurity is starting to build up.. This is all for the goods I think at the end.. reaching a critical mass means moving and by the look of it presently it seem to be in the right direction.. 

Very insightful post.  Thanks for chiming in.