Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 Sony Open thread

PING Apologist #9

How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...

I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.

Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.

MAHALO!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I'm thinking Spieth will start the season more focused and play well. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I worked the tournament several times as a volun-told . I’ve also played the course a number of times as well. It is deceptively challenging especially when it’s tournament ready. They change the the hole set up so I can’t give you a specific hole number but pay attention to the par 3 along the ocean surrounded by grand stand seating. You cannot see the pitch of the green on TV. It basically is shaped like an upside down bowl guarded on either side by deep bunkers.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Wonder if JT will recapture the Hawaiian magic?  

Great to be able to watch in the evening....and the beautiful scenery is a joy to see in the middle of winter!

😎

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I love Hawaii and west coast golf srason. Live coverage in prime time.

i think Spieth wins this one

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:59 PM, PING Apologist #9 said:

How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...

I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.

Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.

MAHALO!

I'll be there on Friday, whenever Cam Champ tees off. I wanna see what 190 MPH ball speed looks like in real life. I went last year, it was a blast.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, SteddyGolf said:

I worked the tournament several times as a volun-told emoji39.png. I’ve also played the course a number of times as well. It is deceptively challenging especially when it’s tournament ready. They change the the hole set up so I can’t give you a specific hole number but pay attention to the par 3 along the ocean surrounded by grand stand seating. You cannot see the pitch of the green on TV. It basically is shaped like an upside down bowl guarded on either side by deep bunkers.

Wow you got to play Waialae? That's not something many folks can say. You gotta be in the 1% of the 1% to be a member there.

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll :)

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Wow you got to play Waialae? That's not something many folks can say. You gotta be in the 1% of the 1% to be a member there.

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll :)

I did numerous times. The course itself was super tough for me because it played to my weaknesses. I met a member through the healthcare field. He is a super nice guy and invited me out monthly.

I think the accessibility or lack there of gives the members a bad rap. Everyone I’ve ever met out there to include the entire staff is incredibly friendly. Yes, they are wealthy but everyone I’ve come in contact with accrued their wealth through hard work and from the sweat off their brow. I didn’t get the elitist feel from anyone at all. The member I played with always welcomed me, a guest myself, to bring a friend with me. If we had met prior to my departure I’m sure I could have gotten you out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

7 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I did numerous times. The course itself was super tough for me because it played to my weaknesses. I met a member through the healthcare field. He is a super nice guy and invited me out monthly.

I think the accessibility or lack there of gives the members a bad rap. Everyone I’ve ever met out there to include the entire staff is incredibly friendly. Yes, they are wealthy but everyone I’ve come in contact with accrued their wealth through hard work and from the sweat off their brow. I didn’t get the elitist feel from anyone at all. The member I played with always welcomed me, a guest myself, to bring a friend with me. If we had met prior to my departure I’m sure I could have gotten you out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think golfing members at Waialae get a bad rap, but maybe? I'm pretty apathetic by nature so stuff like that goes over my head. I'm just glad I know a member so I can park at their house, walk through their back yard, and onto the course 😎.

14 hours ago, yungkory said:

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll 🙂

wow! what a great offer! I may just do that!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

My boss just came in my office and asked if was listening to golf on the radio? Yes I am and apparently he thinks I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

6 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

My boss just came in my office and asked if was listening to golf on the radio? Yes I am and apparently he thinks I have issues.

You might not want to show him what you're doing on your computer then... 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My laptop is clean and tidy. When someone shows up with a subpoena I am surely in the list so no skeletons in that closet.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

13 hours ago, GB13 said:

12 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

My laptop is clean and tidy. When someone shows up with a subpoena I am surely in the list so no skeletons in that closet.

His non work phone, on the other hand...just don't go there. 🤣

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If JT cleans up his mess, he'll be there on Sunday but I'm going with Kooooooooooooooch

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

His non work phone, on the other hand...just don't go there. 

What is a non work phone?

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Apparently Titleist is pretty popular for the players at the Sony this year:

at the Sony Open Titleist won ALL the equipment counts (drivers, fairways woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls). Most impressive was drivers: 45 to 32 for next closest. Over 100 balls; 200 wedges.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Apparently Titleist is pretty popular for the players at the Sony this year:

at the Sony Open Titleist won ALL the equipment counts (drivers, fairways woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls). Most impressive was drivers: 45 to 32 for next closest. Over 100 balls; 200 wedges.

Wow! You know this got me thinking...My first snarky question was going to be: "I wonder how many tour trucks they'd need to deal with all those guys?", then it immediately struck me that getting those trucks to Hawaii is kind of a problem...A big problem. I really wonder now how any of the OEMs deal with that particular logistical issue...I would think that it would be too wasteful to keep something there all year that only gets used, what, 3-4 times a season? Maybe...How the heck does that work???

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

44 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Wow! You know this got me thinking...My first snarky question was going to be: "I wonder how many tour trucks they'd need to deal with all those guys?", then it immediately struck me that getting those trucks to Hawaii is kind of a problem...A big problem. I really wonder now how any of the OEMs deal with that particular logistical issue...I would think that it would be too wasteful to keep something there all year that only gets used, what, 3-4 times a season? Maybe...How the heck does that work???

They can afford it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

They use the local reps, don't think they send the trucks out here, I've never seen them. I know Kevin Na went to the same place I had my Mizuno fitting done to dial in some stuff a couple years ago.

Side note, we have arrived boys!IMG_20190111_114217.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Holy Kuch!!! Leading the group by 4 today for a -13 after 14! Be nice for him to get another win.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

21 minutes ago, yungkory said:

They use the local reps, don't think they send the trucks out here, I've never seen them. I know Kevin Na went to the same place I had my Mizuno fitting done to dial in some stuff a couple years ago.

Side note, we have arrived boys!IMG_20190111_114217.jpeg

Awesome!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Kevin Tway Titleist bag full of JPX 919

IMG_20190111_121349_847.jpeg

12 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Kevin Tway Titleist bag full of JPX 919IMG_20190111_121349_847.jpeg

Are you wearing anything "distinctive" that we can look for to pick you up in the crowd on TV?

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Stuffing my face at the moment, gonna go watch JT tee off now1547246007251.thumb.jpeg.f841d0d57d7016a04812996cf01b7976.jpeg

Edit: nm JT teed off at 8 this dumb schedule is in EST lol.

I think Gary woodland had to run to go poopMVIMG_20190111_132514.jpeg

Not much chatter about this today. I'm still rooting for Kuch but geeez he faded on the front today. Thankfully the birdie on 9 evened him up with Putman.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel