PING Apologist #9

2019 Sony Open thread

How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...

I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.

Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.

MAHALO!

• Like 3

I’m thinking Woodland will ride the momentum from last week.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm thinking Spieth will start the season more focused and play well. 

Edited by GB13
  • Like 1

I'm thinking Spieth will start the season more focused and play well. 

🤨 hope you’re wrong. I’ve enjoyed not listening to him talk to himself.

I worked the tournament several times as a volun-told . I’ve also played the course a number of times as well. It is deceptively challenging especially when it’s tournament ready. They change the the hole set up so I can’t give you a specific hole number but pay attention to the par 3 along the ocean surrounded by grand stand seating. You cannot see the pitch of the green on TV. It basically is shaped like an upside down bowl guarded on either side by deep bunkers.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Wonder if JT will recapture the Hawaiian magic?  

Great to be able to watch in the evening....and the beautiful scenery is a joy to see in the middle of winter!

😎

• Like 1

I love Hawaii and west coast golf srason. Live coverage in prime time.

i think Spieth wins this one

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 12:59 PM, PING Apologist #9 said:

How about it Spies? Anyone going to be watching (after football of course...)? This is one of my favorite tournaments since it reminds me of our two trips to vacation on Oahu including just last year the week after this same event. Love Hawaii and dream daily of visiting there more in the future. Ahhhh, the sun, the surf, the drinks....sigh...

I know we have a few spies who live there (@yungkory for one), and @SteddyGolf used to be stationed there also. Curious if anyone has ever gone to watch or even are planning to attend this year. If so, please share some pics, videos and anything related.

Also, please share your picks and anything related to this tourney here. Me? I going with Bryson. He just looks to be in some sort of weird zone lately. Second for me is JT.

MAHALO!

I'll be there on Friday, whenever Cam Champ tees off. I wanna see what 190 MPH ball speed looks like in real life. I went last year, it was a blast.

On 1/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, SteddyGolf said:

I worked the tournament several times as a volun-told emoji39.png. I’ve also played the course a number of times as well. It is deceptively challenging especially when it’s tournament ready. They change the the hole set up so I can’t give you a specific hole number but pay attention to the par 3 along the ocean surrounded by grand stand seating. You cannot see the pitch of the green on TV. It basically is shaped like an upside down bowl guarded on either side by deep bunkers.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wow you got to play Waialae? That's not something many folks can say. You gotta be in the 1% of the 1% to be a member there.

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll :)

• Like 6

Wow you got to play Waialae? That's not something many folks can say. You gotta be in the 1% of the 1% to be a member there.

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll :)

I did numerous times. The course itself was super tough for me because it played to my weaknesses. I met a member through the healthcare field. He is a super nice guy and invited me out monthly.

I think the accessibility or lack there of gives the members a bad rap. Everyone I’ve ever met out there to include the entire staff is incredibly friendly. Yes, they are wealthy but everyone I’ve come in contact with accrued their wealth through hard work and from the sweat off their brow. I didn’t get the elitist feel from anyone at all. The member I played with always welcomed me, a guest myself, to bring a friend with me. If we had met prior to my departure I’m sure I could have gotten you out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 4

I’m thinking Woodland will ride the momentum from last week.

Sorry Gary...

7 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I did numerous times. The course itself was super tough for me because it played to my weaknesses. I met a member through the healthcare field. He is a super nice guy and invited me out monthly.

I think the accessibility or lack there of gives the members a bad rap. Everyone I’ve ever met out there to include the entire staff is incredibly friendly. Yes, they are wealthy but everyone I’ve come in contact with accrued their wealth through hard work and from the sweat off their brow. I didn’t get the elitist feel from anyone at all. The member I played with always welcomed me, a guest myself, to bring a friend with me. If we had met prior to my departure I’m sure I could have gotten you out.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't think golfing members at Waialae get a bad rap, but maybe? I'm pretty apathetic by nature so stuff like that goes over my head. I'm just glad I know a member so I can park at their house, walk through their back yard, and onto the course 😎.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, yungkory said:

If anyone wants anything from the venue, shoot me a PM. You pay the price + shipping, no charge aside from that. Just saw Evnroll is there this year, hoping I can get my hands on a ER2.2 to roll 🙂

wow! what a great offer! I may just do that!

• Like 2

My boss just came in my office and asked if was listening to golf on the radio? Yes I am and apparently he thinks I have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

My boss just came in my office and asked if was listening to golf on the radio? Yes I am and apparently he thinks I have issues.

You might not want to show him what you're doing on your computer then... 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My laptop is clean and tidy. When someone shows up with a subpoena I am surely in the list so no skeletons in that closet.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GB13 said:

12 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

My laptop is clean and tidy. When someone shows up with a subpoena I am surely in the list so no skeletons in that closet.

His non work phone, on the other hand...just don't go there. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Love 2

If JT cleans up his mess, he'll be there on Sunday but I'm going with Kooooooooooooooch

• Like 1

His non work phone, on the other hand...just don't go there. 

What is a non work phone?

• Love 1

Apparently Titleist is pretty popular for the players at the Sony this year:

at the Sony Open Titleist won ALL the equipment counts (drivers, fairways woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls). Most impressive was drivers: 45 to 32 for next closest. Over 100 balls; 200 wedges.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Apparently Titleist is pretty popular for the players at the Sony this year:

at the Sony Open Titleist won ALL the equipment counts (drivers, fairways woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters and balls). Most impressive was drivers: 45 to 32 for next closest. Over 100 balls; 200 wedges.

Wow! You know this got me thinking...My first snarky question was going to be: "I wonder how many tour trucks they'd need to deal with all those guys?", then it immediately struck me that getting those trucks to Hawaii is kind of a problem...A big problem. I really wonder now how any of the OEMs deal with that particular logistical issue...I would think that it would be too wasteful to keep something there all year that only gets used, what, 3-4 times a season? Maybe...How the heck does that work???

• Like 2