Sign in to follow this  
RickyBobby_PR

Preferred iron finish

I like the PING Hydropearl finish best but otherwise, just a satin finish for me. No unwanted distractions! 

• Like 1

I lean toward chrome finishes with just some black badging.  Plain, basic, simple......classic looking.  I think that is why I like the look of the Wilson C300s so much.  

• Like 1

Give me Cobra's DBM coating on my Ping i210s and I'll never need another set. That finish was unreal, even on the sandy courses of SE Texas. Oh and black shafts as well... Duh

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I like a DBM or Satin finish. The PING Hydropearl is really good. As much as I love to look at high-polish chrome irons, I don't ever want to play with them. Too much glare and too pretty for me to want to mess up. I'd be interested in trying a raw finish sometime too. I've had wedges in the past that were raw and liked it okay. 

• Like 1

If black, I want the PVD finish that are on my Hogans. If “plain”, give me the finish on the i210 irons, and the one on MP-18 SC. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I prefer the Chrome finish with just a simple badge. But for wedges, my interest is piqued with the Titlest SM 7 with a black finish ( but will no be able to get it as it is not available for lefties.

Something that lasts is my top like.  My PE2's look darn near like they did when purchased in 1988.  I'm hearing that some of Ping's new finishes don't hold up as well. I've also seen some pictures of irons in classifieds that look splotchy.  The old school look of chrome and some of the darker/matte finishes are appealing too.  I'd have tough decision, but again, a proven, enduring one would be important.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Something that lasts is my top like.  My PE2's look darn near like they did when purchased in 1988.  I'm hearing that some of Ping's new finishes don't hold up as well. I've also seen some pictures of irons in classifieds that look splotchy.  The old school look of chrome and some of the darker/matte finishes are appealing too.  I'd have tough decision, but again, a proven, enduring one would be important.

Ditto. Indeed I am not 100% sold on PING's hydropearl either after seeing several used sets that look like they have razor burn. My GMax's finish holds up nicely though they wont win any beauty contests. IMO, if PING came out with a line of irons with the same finish as the Stealth wedges, they'd have an instant winner. I use the snot out of all of mine (especially the 58*) and so far they have held up beautifully. With the darker CB shafts I have on them, they really do look great.

• Like 2

Chrome finish for looks, but my favorite for play was the satin finish on my Ping i20s. Sometimes the glare or flash of the chrome finish can be distracting at setup.

Of course the other answer is 'close to the pin'.

• Like 2

Definitely DBM. Would be interested in messing around with a raw finish on my wedges though

• Like 1

DBM for me.

I really like the Cobra F6 irons that had a two tone chrome/dark chrome satin finish. The F8’s were all chrome.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

My first set of clubs were Wilson Staff with what today would be called space grey. Loved that look.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

17 hours ago, PMookie said:

If black, I want the PVD finish that are on my Hogans. If “plain”, give me the finish on the i210 irons, and the one on MP-18 SC. Beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This for me as well. I don't mind chrome as long as it's not on the toe/heel side of the face, but prefer everything else.

I like the matte finish on my CF16. Scratches on chrome are just too visible.

Until recently, every iron I’d ever owned was chrome, nothing else looked right to me. But my current 4-SW are satin finish, and I like them too. Just bought a LW, and chose “gun metal” (satin black) to see how I like that. I can’t imagine all black irons, but we’ll see how it goes with the LW.

It know it’s silly, but I have a pretty narrow view of what clubs should look like to me - and I won’t even try a club that doesn’t look right to me no matter what any reviews or launch monitor claims. e.g. Mizuno is one of my favorite brands, but I would NEVER buy a blue driver. Won’t even swing one much less buy one. Just me.

Edited by Middler