Sign in to follow this  
GregB135

League Play from the Middle of the Pack

Our Sponsors

That last event post was pretty long. Here's what I'm thinking analysis and preparation wise.

I was a little leery of taking lessons during league season, but the training at Golftec has netted better results. The use of the video training bay for practice has really helped me with visualizing swing elements on the course. I am going to start tapering off from the lesson-a-week schedule but will continue to try for at least one video practice each week.

I need to include a regular range session, and especially some short game practice outside to keep the putting/chipping sharp. That was my weak area in the most recent round. Considering the upcoming courses on the schedule short game performance is going to matter.

One big factor I haven't mentioned much is using a strategy card for each event. Playing unfamiliar courses can feel uncertain and uncomfortable. All I've done is use satellite map software (rhymes with doogle maps) and the score card to do some measuring and analyze the course ahead of time. It takes usually about an hour, but at the end I have a definite strategy for each tee shot, and a game plan for each hole. Removing that uncertainty and usually knowing I'm shouldn't find trouble if I execute my tee shot has helped reduce the 'first tee nerves' that can linger if No. 1 doesn't go well, and lets me make tee swings with a little more confidence.

This week's plan. Outdoor practice (weather permitting) for short game and putting, and one lesson/practice to fine tune the earlier work. 

TPC Tampa Bay, watch out!

Driver:  PXG 811x Gen1, HZRDS Smoke Yellow 60g S

Fariway:   :titelist-small: 917 F2, 3-Wood Fujikura Blue 

Hybrid:   :ping-small: G410 18*

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter:  :odyssey-small:  EXO Rossie 34.5" (Tester) 

Event 7 is now done.

We played the TPC Tampa Bay which is a very tough course. I went into this week with a little more confidence than previous events. I had a decent practice round the day prior, and my last league round was pretty strong. Alas, that didn't translate to a low score here. 

I struggled getting off the tees all day. At a course like TPC, that is, and was, a recipe for disaster. I simply hit too many bad shots, and didn't get enough reward out of the good shots I did hit. The end result was a 100 (first one of those in a while) and a finish in the bottom 1/3 of a 40 player field. 

Standings wise though, I'm still looking in pretty good shape, as long as I can keep my level of play at least where it is. With 7 scores in the books, this result at least kicked a lower point total out of my Top 6. That has me sitting in 10th with regard to eligibility for the end of season events set aside for the top 20. Our next event, in two weeks, is a league 'major' worth double points. A decent finish there will be a big boost to solidifying a spot.

I did have something click (in a good way, not my hip or anything 😜) during practice yesterday that resulted in some solid tee to green play. I'm planning on another lesson and video practice at Golftec, and some on-course practice before the next event. If yesterday's swing key sticks then I'll have even more to be confident with going in.

Cheers, and thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Event #8 

This week was our second league Major held at Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club in Dade City FL. 

Preparation wise, I had another Golftec lesson last week that did not feel as productive as earlier sessions, though some practice time after was hitting the ball pretty well. That did not translate onto the course in a practice round where i shot 99 on a relatively easy course. Then I had a pretty good live range session practicing putting and full swing that was very positive.

This was a frustrating round. I hit the ball much better than normal off the tees. 7/14 on fairways hit, with only 2 what I would call wild misses from the tee. Iron play was not wild, I only felt like I had about 3 bad misses with iron shots. I did collect 2 penalties, but those were among the 5 bad shots in the round. I was around the greens enough even though I only had 5 GIR. All that put together I felt like I was hitting the ball too well to score where I did, 95. Putting uncharacteristically let me down. I 3 putted my first two GIR, plus 3 more 3-putts in the round and a total of 39 putts (my average has been 30). I was making bogeys and doubles from some really good positions.

I had a quad bogey after one wild tee shot that I struggled to recover from, and a triple after a three putt on another poorly played hole. So 9 putts off average and two big number holes and I finished B-flight 6th (14th overall) 5 strokes behind the B-flight winner. Yup, FRUSTRATED. 

There is an upside. The 14th overall earned me 35 league points and pushed a 10 point round out of my top 6. So even though I felt frustrated after the round, I did hold onto my top 10 status in both the overall and top 6 standings.

We've got the Innisbrook Copperhead course up next. That's a tough track, especially for the B flighters. I'll have a bit of a length advantage on most of the B group there, so if I can tighten up a little bit on the iron play I've got reason to be optimistic.

My practice session yesterday does not have me brimming with confidence. I might go out for some more practice today and hopefully iron a thing or two out.

Alright, so here's where I stand going into this week's event.

1. I'm sitting in a fairly solid 10th in the league standings, and have been finishing consistently between the middle of the pack and top 10s over the last several events. 😀

2. My last round on the course was an 83, finding 8/14 fairways and 6/18 greens and 33 putts with only 13 putts on the back 9. That's above average for driving, below my target for greens, and the inconsistent putting I'll attribute to condition of the greens and missing too many on the back 9. I'll definitely keep the 83 though. 😀

3. The lesson series at GOLFTEC has been helpful, but I'm at a point where progress is stagnating, and I haven't quite been able to dial in the fix for the main flaw causing my inconsistency. (Face control and early release) So I'm feeling a little frustrated.

4. My practice bay session this week was less than encouraging. Lots of mis-hits with the irons. If I'm lucky I'll be able to sneak in a few swings at the lighted range tonight after work and see what I get. I'll try to focus on the good aspects of the last round on course.

In general, I'm starting to feel like I'm overthinking and trying to over-control things in the swing and just not swinging freely enough.

We are playing a very tough course tomorrow, Innisbrook's Copperhead course where the PGA Valspar Championship is played. I should have a slight length advantage on most of the B group there, but I'll need to be stronger with the irons than what I've seen lately to post a low score. I've got my strategy card ready, and the pairing sheet has me with a good group of guys (but not the strongest players). I'm going to need lots of reminders to relax, have fun, and don't think - just swing.

Well, yesterday at Copperhead went a little better than expected! 😀

We played the copperhead course at Innisbrook resort. The B flight was on the white tees so it was 6,250 / 71.1 / 133 for the yardage and ratings.

I was a little leery going into this round since my one practice session during the week was not very solid.

Here are my stats for the round: Fairways 5/14, GIR: 6/18 , putts 32. 9 pars, 5 bogeys, 4 double bogey+, 3 penalties

All together it was a pretty solid round except for maybe 4 shots. 2 of those were pushed tee shots into the water on the 16th (opening hole of the 'Snake Pit' final three holes), and one missed chip/pitch through the green from a very tight lie. Those two holes were my only big numbers on the day (quad and triple), that turned out to be costly in the end.

Another oddity was having a better fairways hit percentage with the driver over the 3 wood. 4/8 with the driver, and the misses were in play with no penalties. Only 2/7 with the three wood. Hybrid was 1/3. 

I was playing relatively well at only 2 over going to the 16th (our 7th hole with a split tee start) and knew if I could keep it going I'd be in contention for the day. I had a bit of a length advantage over many of the B-flight players, and knew the course was going to take it's toll on the wild hitters. I was in play and out of trouble for most of the round and held my own on the very fast greens.

It all added up to an 87, net 68. That put me one stroke out of B-flight second place, three off the winner. My mid-round suspicions about the quad and triple turned out to be correct - that I was playing well enough to be in contention for the day, but if somebody else had a good round those two holes would hurt me.

Waiting on the official results to post, but that result should earn me enough  points to hold position in the overall standings, and move up a bit in the top 6. Again, best 6 scores count for the end of season invitational (top 20 players for higher end of season stakes) and the overall is counted for the team cup eligibility (Top 20 first then at large for 2x12 teams).

• Like 1

Copperhead results are official. Tie for B-flight and overall 3rd place. Ne of 68 was only 2 strokes off low net for the day. (Dangit the 16th hole!!)

• Like 1

Just now, GregB135 said:

Copperhead results are official. Tie for B-flight and overall 3rd place. Ne of 68 was only 2 strokes off low net for the day. (Dangit the 16th hole!!)

That also places me 6th in both the overall standings and the best 6 scores leaderboards! Looking good for the end of season events even though I'm missing the next event for a family commitment.

Okay GolfSpy-verse,

This weekend is the final major of the league season, our 2-day event at Bay Hill. Yes, the site of the PGA's Arnold Palmer Invitational/Memorial tournament. 

I've built my strategy card for the course, and there are some tee shots where the driver got the nod when yardage suggests something shorter. There is an awful lot of "Florida blue grass" to contend with on Bay Hill so it will definitely be a hit it straight or suffer mightily weekend. My last few rounds have been relatively solid. My most recent lesson saw good results. My early week practice round though had some shaky moments, and I'm still trying to dial in a feel thing from the lessons to build up consistency. All together I'm cautiously optimistic even on a hard track like Bay Hill.

The other good news, my improved performance through the season has me starting Saturday in the 2nd to last group (pairings in the major events are done by the standings). I've been solidly in the top 10 for several weeks. That means a decent showing over the weekend should essentially lock me into a spot for the end of season events. 

Wish me luck and stay tuned!

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

Wow - finally broke through and got not just my first finish in the money, but my first B-flight win!

This weekend was the league's two-day event at Bay Hill. We had to deal with some severe weather, both heat and thunderstorms, especially Saturday, but both rounds were played in full.

Saturday's round was mostly solid. I had a couple of big number holes and struggled making (missing?) putts in the 4 to 6 foot range where I'm usually pretty good. My tee shots were some of the best I've played all year, especially with the driver. I finished the day with a 92 net 74. That was enough to put me in 6th overall and B-flight 2nd going into Sunday.

I started out on Sunday with relatively low pressure and low expectations. I was in a solid spot to at least maintain my position in league standings even if I had a less than stellar round. For the day, I was starting 3 strokes behind the B-flight leader who was getting 27 strokes on the day compared to my 18. So I was very much in a 'just relax and hit the ball' kind of a mindset going off the first tee. Then I started off par/par/birdie rolled in a couple of putts to save another par or two had one bad hole and next thing you know I finish the front 9 at +3 39. 😲 I wasn't getting off the tees as well as I did on Saturday, and that cost me a little more on the back 9 than it did the front, with only 3 pars on the back I limped in at 46 to make 85 net 67. Turned out that was enough to  make up all the necessary ground to win the B flight and finish 4th overall.

The points from this win will give me about a 20 point bump up in the Top 6 standings (possibly into the top 30) which essentially locks me into the field for the end of year invitational tournament. Goal number 1 for the season accomplished.

This week was also where the Team Cup captains were named (1 and 2 in the overall standings). The first 4 positions for each team were then chosen from the overall Top-10 standings where I wound up in 6th place. So I earned a selection into the Team Cup as well, accomplishing goal number 2 as well. So I'm all set for both of the end of season special events.

The invitational is two weeks away with the team cup the following a week later. Stay tuned for those results, and thanks for reading along this year.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that has followed along. This season was an interesting journey.

I started off with one of my worst rounds in memory. That spurred a visit to GolfTec to investigate their lesson options. This led to a steady improvement in overall consistency, and a steady run of improved scores. Then, in the final regular event of the season, I wound up winning the B flight for my first league win.

Starting the season, I had 2 goals.

• Qualify for the end of season invitational tournament (Top 20 in best 6 standings)  - Done! with a 3rd place finish in Top 6
  • Qualify (Top 20 overall) or be selected for the post season team cup event - Done! with 8th place overall to auto qualify

This Saturday is the invitational tournament at the Belleview CC in Clearwater Florida, one of the oldest courses in the US. It's short but very narrow, so it will take quality shot making to place well this week. It's a small field - only the top 20 plus 4 at large spots, with just the qualifiers playing for league end-of-season prizes.

Needless to say, my results on the year were way better than expected. Last year I was 27th place overall in both standings out of 43 members. To jump all the way up to 3rd and 8th out of 55 this year is an awesome feeling.

• Like 1

Hey all,

The final regular event of the season is done! We got to play a fantastic, Donald Ross designed course in the Belleair CC West Course. I had a pretty average day all around, and wound up with a B-flight fourth place and overall fifth for the day. Two big-number holes on the score card meant that I couldn't overcome being the low capper in the B-flight and the podium spots went to guys that played well and avoided the 'others'. I did manage a close-to-pin honors on one of the par 3 holes, a 175 yarder. 

I went into this tournament a little more relaxed than some of the others as I knew there was going to be a take-home for my 3rd place finish in the season standings. I also tried to play more of the events all year with more of a 'relax and have fun' mindset than keying in on the competitive side of the league. As much as I could, I tried to verbalize and maintain the mindset of, "I can make par from there' after a poor shot rather than focus on the negative result of just a single shot. Even got a remark from my playing partner that he liked that mindset when I said it (more than once this week). It became contagious through the group as well, and we all had a good time, and a joke or two about 'not having par from THERE' after some penalty inducing strokes among us.

Next up for the league is the Team Cup event. Two days with 36 on Saturday; alternate shot followed by better ball, and singles match play on Sunday. We will be back at the Innisbrook resort again for that, playing all three courses with Sunday singles on Copperhead.

Next up for the league is the team cup event. We will be playing all three courses at the Innisbrook Resort in Palm Harbor over two days.

36 holes on Saturday - morning is alternate shot with four ball in the afternoon. Sunday is singles on Copperhead. 

The good news is the A-game has started to make more frequent appearances. Shot 1 over on my back 9 today in a practice round (though not as tough a course as any of the Innisbrook options). Still, really happy with today's 81 and feeling a little more confident heading to the cup.

So the team cup event is complete, and it was an absolute blast. This was my third year in the league, but my first selection to the team cup. I've never played an event like this before, and It was a lot more fun than what I expected.

Alas, my team did not prevail. We were sitting pretty after alternate shot, but fell flat in foursomes. We went into Sunday singles 3 points down, needing to win 8 of 12 matches to take the cup. We did split Sunday 6-6 to save a little face.

How did I play? The Saturday rounds I was pretty steady, and kept the same partner for both matches. We won our alternate shot match as the lead-off pairing 4 and 3. We started a little slow but stole a lot of momentum from our opponents by holing out a really touch bunker shot on the 3rd hole. 

Our 4-ball round was more of a challenge. Both my partner and I had some early struggles off the tee and we went down 2 early. We found a bit of a groove and clawed back to all square at the turn. Only to give away two holes early on the back 9, and repeat the front by getting back to all square at 16. A couple of clutch pars on the 17th, a par 3 playing into the wind) and we went to 18 all square. The match came down to each team having a 5 footer for par on 18 which neither made and we halved the match.

My Sunday singles match was a total Jekyll/Hyde performance. I was the higher cap in the pairing so I was getting two strokes. We halved the first and then I went on really good run making 4 pars over the next 5 holes winning all 5. We started on the back 9 at Copperhead so that meant I went into the 'Snake Pit' run of final holes up 5. The stronger player showed it getting back 2, so we made the turn with me up 3. The 16th (our 7th) green is where things fell apart for me a little bit. I got wild off the tees and my short game was not making up for it and I wound up giving back the whole lead. We were back to all square after 13 holes. I made a couple of clutch putts to stay AS then made a par to win the 16th and went into the par 3 17th 1 up. I found the green with my tee shot, while my opponent missed wide right. His first pitch shot came up short, and when my lag putt settled in to 3 feet he conceded the hole and the match 2 and 1. 

Overall for the weekend I managed a no-loss 2-0-1 record and 2 1/2 points for the team. My Saturday partner matched that, so together we earned 5 of the team's 10 1/2 points. I actually managed to live up to our team captain's prediction that I wouldn't lose on the weekend. Of course, some of that was he chose a good partner for me and good match-ups. All in all it was a really fun weekend of golf and camaraderie

Thanks for reading along through the season. I've still got some improving to do but this season was my best yet in competition. Thanks to the Golftec lesson plan, coaching, and steady  play, my handicap has dropped through the season from 16 to 13. The downside to that is, if I get a couple of strokes better going into next season, I'll play the whole year as one of the "bubble boys" bouncing between the A and B flights on the cut-line. Well, that'll be fun too.

Cheers everybody!

The 2020 Tampa Tour League season is about to start and I'm not sure I can claim 'Middle of the Pack' status getting ready for this year.

To recap, I got one win last season in the two-day major. Piling that on to pretty consistent play through the season netted me 8th place in the end-of-season overall standings, and 3rd place in the Top-6 team cup standings. That was enough to achieve my goals form the start of the year of qualifying for both.

3rd/8th might be tough to beat, so I'm struggling to identify goals for this year. I definitely want to repeat qualifying for the Invitational and Team Cup events on merit (that's top 20 in respective standings). I'm trying not to set a raw score based goal because we are playing some really tough courses as well as several new ones. Another factor is my handicap has come down over the last year to 12.1, which will tend to put me right in the middle of the cap stack each week. So where last year I played primarily in the B-flight, this year I'm likely to wind up one of the 'bubble boys' that plays both flights depending on the weekly fields. With that I'll go with the more ambiguous play to net par or better in 1/4 of my events.

I feel like I've made good strides swing-wise by continuing with lessons and practice (thanks Golftec) and I am doing better at curtailing my competitive nature and maintaining a 'relax and have fun' attitude. If I can bring more good swings than bad, and keep the relaxed mindset I think I can look forward to having a good season again.

Cheers and I welcome your thoughts and encouragement. 

I've been on the road for a couple of weeks for work but I have been able to get in some practice rounds. The course is not fantastic but I did have the ability to play from blue tees at 6700 yards and white tees at 6200 to get a feel for my A flight vs B flight games. Keep in mine the blue tee slope of 115 is nowhere close to some of the slope ratings the league plays on. I had one really bad practice round in the mix but for the most part feel pretty good. Included in the 5 or 6 rounds was a 77 from the whites and an 83 from the blues. I would certainly not be disappointed in those kinds of results in league play.

We get underway next Saturday so here we go!

Pairings for our first event of the season (The Tampa Tour) are posted. The A/B flight cut-off line was at 12 this week, so my number of 12.7 put me in the B flight this week. 

Our venue for this event, Eastlake Woodlands CC North, will play 5800 yards for the B flight with a slope of 131. Per the previous post, I carded a 77 in a practice round at similar yardage albeit on a wide open track with a slope of 112. With the 131 slope and greens reported as FASSSSSST we will see what we get.

Also, since last post, I had a (yet another) coach change at GolfTec. First lesson with the new coach this week. He took a look at my previous lesson videos and my input prior to the lesson, keyed in on a minor adjustment to what they call 'shoulder bend', and I think we hit on a good swing feel key for me. I set up a practice bay session, and using the 'auto' putt feature on one of the practice courses managed 33.7 and 35.5 for two 9 hole scores, totaled 12 GIR and 10  fairways. If I play anywhere close to that on Saturday, I'll be declared a sandbagging ba$+rd.

Another practice session planned for today just to dial things in, but I'm optimistic.

We got the season kicked off and had a good time, even with having to make some adjustments for early CV response. Watching a bunch of middle-agers try to figure out digital payment options was one of the highlights of the weekend.

My round felt mostly average. I didn't feel like I hit the ball exceptionally well. The course was as tough as advertised (131 slope from the white tees for B Flight). I only had 4 or 5 misses I would categorize as 'bad', but with the difficulty of the course, each of those netted me a double bogey. I'd have to look back at my scorecard history, but it was one of my few league rounds where double bogey was my worst score. The greens were rolling VERY fast but I was decent on the greens with 33 putts, despite missing a couple of good looks at birdie. 

My 90 gross / 78 net was good enough to tie for Overall 10th and B-Flight 4th and earn 25 league points. That is definitely my best season opener so far. 

We have another tough track in store for event #2 in Southern Hills Plantation. Provided the course is not closed for CV response restrictions the league is still planning to hold the event as scheduled. We are all taking as many precautions as we can and abiding by local guidance. All of us as golfers are feeling fortunate that most golf courses have been permitted to continue operating under social distance restrictions etc. We still have a few days before a final call on the next event can be made.

In the mean time, stay safe, stay well and stay tuned. 

• Like 1

This week's league tournament was cancelled due to host site COVID restriction to member play only. We were scheduled to play Southern Hills Plantation, a favorite for many of the players in the league, so a lot of us were disappointed with the cancellation.

Our next event is three weeks away, so hopefully that is long enough for some of the local restrictions to be lessened.

in the mean time, I'll continue to work on some of the swing keys from my last couple of lessons. The local courses continue to operate, so practice should still be possible. 

Stay safe everyone.

The next league event is still a go for this Saturday

We will be playing Juliette Falls GC in Dunellon FL, about a 2-hour drive for most of us.

I’ve been applying some guidance in a book I just read, “The Little Book if Breaking 80”, and have spent a lot of time practicing putting and short game, and less on full swing. After two weeks of that so far I’m feeling really confident on/around the green.

I haven’t been on the course for a full round in a couple of weeks but do plan to get a practice round in before Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy