Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2019 PGA Show Driver Bonanza

chisag

... Who is going to the PGA Show this year? This is the first PGA Show in 15 years that I will miss because of family obligations, other than one other year due to injury. I think this year might be shaping up to be the best year for drivers I can ever remember. Cobra F9, Mizuno ST190, Taylor Made M series and Callaway Epic Flash all look to be awesome offerings with premium shafts as well as many free upgrade shaft offerings and I will miss hitting them all at Demo Day. Which driver are you guys most looking forward to testing out when they are released? 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

For me it's going to be interesting to see if the TS drivers from Titleist, which clearly were a big improvement for Titleist drivers, can compete with this next wave of new drivers. 

I think the Srixon 785 and Titleist TS series will still perform as good as all of the new releases, but they might be overshadowed simply due to release timing 

And I'd like to add that I think Cobra's launch strategy around the F9 was abysmal. 

They announced the drivers at the end of October, but they still aren't available for another week. Hell, they were just made available for pre-order over the last few few days. 

I love Cobra and think the new driver is going to be great, but man did they botch this launch 

I'm kind of hot warm and cold on a new driver this year. So far I've hit/tested a little bit.... the Ping G400, Wilson Cortex, and Titleist TS2. The Ping was indoor only and the other two were both outdoors with crummy range balls. My last 3 rounds have all been great driving rounds with my now ancient 2014 TM SLDR. It's been an accurate, consistent, and reliable winner for almost 5 years now. Of the three I've tested briefly above; the TS2 is a driver I'd put in my bag today if I were seriously considering. The day I tried it I was striping it no differently than my SLDR. And this was an OTR demo!! I told the pro at the club I'd be inclined to take it as is.

Hmmm... maybe I need to take it out on the course and see how it really performs. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

21 minutes ago, jlukes said:

And I'd like to add that I think Cobra's launch strategy around the F9 was abysmal. 

They announced the drivers at the end of October, but they still aren't available for another week. Hell, they were just made available for pre-order over the last few few days. 

I love Cobra and think the new driver is going to be great, but man did they botch this launch 

... I have said many times I am glad I am not in Marketing or Sales when it comes to the equipment market. On one hand the Cobra release was brilliant as it got a ton of coverage from just about everyone which in turn created quite a bit of buzz. Since Cobra is not viewed by many casual golfers as an equal to Taylor Made and Callaway, it made sense to get all that exclusive coverage before the release of the M Series and Flash because the F9 could have been lost in the hype of the big 2. On the other hand, a lot of that buzz has been lost on any non Cobra fans with the hype and release of the TM/Cally offerings and they are the very audience that Cobra needs to take the next step. So I see advantages and disadvantages with either approach. Hopefully actually all hitting them and finding what works best keeps Cobra in the game. 

6 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I'm kind of hot warm and cold on a new driver this year.

... To be fair Plaid, you are warm and cold on every new driver every new year! 🤗

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... To be fair Plaid, you are warm and cold on every new driver every new year! 🤗

Haaa... you know me well. I just can't put a good thing down. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Really happy with my G400 Max so I am not all hyped up about the drivers this year. The one I am most interested in would be the PXG since they now seem to be more price aligned than in the past. I am probably guilty of following the marketing so I always want it try the clubs that we hear about most; so I want to see if the TM and Callaway clubs perform “better”.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Maybe they're marketing strategy was centered around that old Carly Simon song Anticipation? FYI I was at GG on December 26th and they did have F9 demos just not ones for purchase.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I went to the SHOW for a couple years about 10 years ago......my club had closed so we moved to another. A friend and I submitted requests for tickets, labeling us as Buyer and Asst Buyer for the defunct Quail Hollow GC. Not the one in the Carolinas but in Florida. I was totally amazed at the friendliness f everyone and the access to equipment. I grew up in Ky playing PowerBilt so I connected with the rep at the show, and ordered the Woods & Irons at Cost. Played them for two years and lowered my Hcap from 18 to 13.....anyway, I have not returned since, but would jump at the opportunity to go again.

So if anyone has an unused taps, please let me know.

BTW, I put the PowerBilts back in play this week, just for kicks and was shooting in the low 80’s. The driver was blasting 10-15 yards past the Cobra F8......just saying.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Really happy with my G400 Max so I am not all hyped up about the drivers this year. The one I am most interested in would be the PXG since they now seem to be more price aligned than in the past. I am probably guilty of following the marketing so I always want it try the clubs that we hear about most; so I want to see if the TM and Callaway clubs perform “better”.

I was at the range yesterday with my G400 Max and I couldn’t miss with it. I’m still not sure of “true” distance since I haven’t played it in warmer temps, and dry conditions, but I’m not so sure it can be beat for direction. I haven’t had this much confidence in a driver in a LONG time. But, I’m still going to put it on the monitor in March vs others. At worst, I’ll make sure the shaft is just right for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I’m struggling to imagine how one of these new offerings could top my Ping G400.

I would try the Mizuno as that brand’s Drivers General fit my swing. I’d enjoy looking at shafts. If my driver SS continues to improve I may be in the market for a new shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

I’m struggling to imagine how one of these new offerings could top my Ping G400.

I would try the Mizuno as that brand’s Drivers General fit my swing. I’d enjoy looking at shafts. If my driver SS continues to improve I may be in the market for a new shaft.

... If you have been fit in the last few years, I don't really see any of these drivers significantly outperforming the top drivers. Flash isn't gonna be significantly better then an Epic, M4/5 isn't gonna be significantly better than the M3/4. G400 ad F8 is right there with them of course. Sure, you may find 1.3 more yards and 126 rpm's less spin resulting in a very modest boost, which for some is enough.  I imagine the F9 may provide a boost in performance over the F8, the TS Series will be significantly better than previous Titleist drivers and I think the 180ST is gonna be significantly better than previous Mizuno drivers. If I get a few more yards and a little less spin, as well as slightly better performance on mishits with my F9, I will consider that a success. 

... I play new drivers every year and rarely have I found one that made a significant leap in performance. SLDR and Epic come to mind, and then the next year everyone catches up. Most of the time it is a new look, sound or feel that gives me a mental boost, as in it's just more fun sometimes to play something new. And if you hit everything every year, sometimes you will find lightening in a bottle. No rhyme or reason for a big increase in performance but sometimes it just inexplicably happens. And of course, there are always forum members that have not "upgraded" in several years and for them, 2019 should be a real Bonanza. These are the players I write reviews for, nit someone that bought a G400, F8 or Rogue last year.

My swing speed says I should hit it 250. I hit it 230. Only thing that will help me is increasing my angle of attack. Is there a club that will do that for me?

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

1 hour ago, Wedgie said:

My swing speed says I should hit it 250. I hit it 230. Only thing that will help me is increasing my angle of attack. Is there a club that will do that for me?

... Pretty sure The Hammer corrects any angle of attack ... POW!!! 🤪

I don't think any of these new drivers will outperform the TS2 for me, but I still want to hit them!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Angle if attack is swing related and not club related. More loft
Could help launch the ball higher. You do have to start being aware of static and dynamic loft because it might just increase the spin which might not be what you want.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

10 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Short answer: No

Long answer: A proper fitting COULD change your delivery slightly.  A shaft change or a swing weight change could change the way the club feels in your hands and thus impacts your delivery, but there is no way of predicting if that would be the case.

Changing your swing is really the only sure option

the 2 I'm most keenly interested in are the Mizuno and PXG gen2 - both could have a really big year in drivers and are some that don't necessarily come to mind at first.

It's too bad that TM isn't going.  I'd really like to see more on the "BMW" (m5/m6) of drivers.  😊

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

My big question for 2019 is the G410.  The G400, to me, doesn't feel like it has been out that long.  Can Ping deliver the magic in back to back releases?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

My big question for 2019 is the G410.  The G400, to me, doesn't feel like it has been out that long.  Can Ping deliver the magic in back to back releases?

And what makes this launch MORE interesting is that they said they can’t beat the G400 Max right now, so not launching a replacement for it. Logically, this means that the others HAVE been made better. How do you beat the others??? They’re SO good.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

1 minute ago, PMookie said:

And what makes this launch MORE interesting is that they said they can’t beat the G400 Max right now, so not launching a replacement for it. Logically, this means that the others HAVE been made better. How do you beat the others??? They’re SO good.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I'm not going to complain about lowered prices on G400s.  

Also, the new colors on the G410 line, are awfully reminiscent to the red used by Nike.  I really want to know what tech Ping bought from Nike patents, and is that what we are starting to see in the "blueprint", i500, g700 lines. Especially since those clubs have been so much of a departure from Ping clubs of past.   

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

42 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I believe Taylormade is skipping the show this year.

... They are, but I imagine may (all) of the shaft OEM's will have the M4/5's shafted with their product for demo at Demo Day. 

... If you have been fit in the last few years, I don't really see any of these drivers significantly outperforming the top drivers. Flash isn't gonna be significantly better then an Epic, M4/5 isn't gonna be significantly better than the M3/4. G400 ad F8 is right there with them of course. Sure, you may find 1.3 more yards and 126 rpm's less spin resulting in a very modest boost, which for some is enough.  I imagine the F9 may provide a boost in performance over the F8, the TS Series will be significantly better than previous Titleist drivers and I think the 180ST is gonna be significantly better than previous Mizuno drivers. If I get a few more yards and a little less spin, as well as slightly better performance on mishits with my F9, I will consider that a success. 

... I play new drivers every year and rarely have I found one that made a significant leap in performance. SLDR and Epic come to mind, and then the next year everyone catches up. Most of the time it is a new look, sound or feel that gives me a mental boost, as in it's just more fun sometimes to play something new. And if you hit everything every year, sometimes you will find lightening in a bottle. No rhyme or reason for a big increase in performance but sometimes it just inexplicably happens. And of course, there are always forum members that have not "upgraded" in several years and for them, 2019 should be a real Bonanza. These are the players I write reviews for, nit someone that bought a G400, F8 or Rogue last year.

Point taken - I generally will upgrade driver every three years. And since I’m usually a year behind I appreciate archived reviews.

Yours are always outstanding.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 1/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, chisag said:

... They are, but I imagine may (all) of the shaft OEM's will have the M4/5's shafted with their product for demo at Demo Day. 

You're letting out one of the great not so hidden anymore secrets of avoiding the lines 😉

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hadn’t seen a decent picture of the g410 from the top. If anyone is interested. IMG_0271.JPG

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I'm interested to see if that TEE I won in the raffle can knock my R11 out of the bag.  If it can't, then I'll have the the following playing backup to the R11:

Tour Edge EXS
Cobra F8
Titleist 913
Titleist 910

I think it'll be time to start selling things off and get a driver fitting.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm loving the excitement around the drivers.  I've been really interested in hitting them all and watching reviews of them.  My initial thoughts after a couple of sessions at the local shop is this:

Callaway Flash: Nothing special...same as the last 3 Callaway's in my opinion.   Save your money and go buy an Epic. 

Callaway Flash Sub Zero:  I own the Epic Sub zero and I can't say anything bad about this club except for I still feel like is punishes my mishits more than i would like.  Tested it straight against my Epic Sub Zero and there was maybe 2 yards difference...but that could have just been the strikes more than the club.  No noticeable ball speed difference or spin.

Cobra F9: Feel was really good.  Couldn't get the distance I was looking for out of it consistently.  Its dispersion front to back was more than I am okay with.  Looks gimmicky to me, until you put it down behind the ball then it looks great. 

Mizuno 190G:  This is the one i'm most excited to hit and haven't hit it yet...

Ping G410:  This could sneak in to the bag...looking forward to hitting it.

Taylormade M5: The look is stunning if you like busy and a little flashy.  I personally do not like the feel of this driver.  Never can produce good numbers with a TM Driver...the M1 was the best TM driver I have hit still.  

Taylormade M6: Better that the M5 in feel but still not great numbers for me.  I just don't like the feel of the club.

Titleist TS2: Great feel, great sound, great performance but just leaves me wanting a little more distance due to the spin rates I get.

Titleist TS3: Front runner for going in the bag this year.  Love everything about it. The sound, the feel, the distance, the forgiveness.  

I think my top 3 are:

- TS3

- Mizonu ST 190G

- Ping G410 Plus

I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of the guys without full bag deals put in.  

Driver: SIM2 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with Ventus Blue 6X Velocore

3WD: MAVRIK SZ

5WD: MAVRIK SZ

3i: Titleist U500 w/ Tour AD 95X

5-PW: Mizuno MP20 MMC w/ C-Tape Lite X 115

52: Mizuno T20 Chrome

56 & 60: Cleveland ZipCore Tour Raw

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 (34"/4/71)

Ball: THE Titleist Pro V1x

4 hours ago, Aladage said:

I'm loving the excitement around the drivers.  I've been really interested in hitting them all and watching reviews of them.  My initial thoughts after a couple of sessions at the local shop is this:

Callaway Flash: Nothing special...same as the last 3 Callaway's in my opinion.   Save your money and go buy an Epic. 

Callaway Flash Sub Zero:  I own the Epic Sub zero and I can't say anything bad about this club except for I still feel like is punishes my mishits more than i would like.  Tested it straight against my Epic Sub Zero and there was maybe 2 yards difference...but that could have just been the strikes more than the club.  No noticeable ball speed difference or spin.

Cobra F9: Feel was really good.  Couldn't get the distance I was looking for out of it consistently.  Its dispersion front to back was more than I am okay with.  Looks gimmicky to me, until you put it down behind the ball then it looks great. 

Mizuno 190G:  This is the one i'm most excited to hit and haven't hit it yet...

Ping G410:  This could sneak in to the bag...looking forward to hitting it.

Taylormade M5: The look is stunning if you like busy and a little flashy.  I personally do not like the feel of this driver.  Never can produce good numbers with a TM Driver...the M1 was the best TM driver I have hit still.  

Taylormade M6: Better that the M5 in feel but still not great numbers for me.  I just don't like the feel of the club.

Titleist TS2: Great feel, great sound, great performance but just leaves me wanting a little more distance due to the spin rates I get.

Titleist TS3: Front runner for going in the bag this year.  Love everything about it. The sound, the feel, the distance, the forgiveness.  

I think my top 3 are:

- TS3

- Mizonu ST 190G

- Ping G410 Plus

I'm really looking forward to seeing what some of the guys without full bag deals put in.  

nice summary and agree with just about everything there.  

One thing of note, I saw Rick Shiels review of the G410 plus  and he complained about the sound,  I heard it hit several times on the Demo Day Range today at the PGA Show and it sounded just fine to me.  No loud sound associated with the previous G30 and other models. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived