Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Perplexed again : 2 Nd lesson

Big money

Well , went back today for my 2 Nd golf lesson throwing a ball down into a net. After working tirelessly on my last lesson. Little to nil progress has been made before and during this current lesson. As expected , the pro quickly pointed out how naturally I throw a ball under hand. But when he had me replicate with my right arm only I can completely failed. Not sure how a simple task like this can be so misconstrued by myself. He did have me think of some non mechanical keys that helped alleviate my failures. Was told to look down the fairway before I hit the ball. The results of ball striking were complete disaster doing this. Not sure how to proceed ? Maybe extending casting and stalling is just a part of my golf game 

Keep it in the short stuff

Have you tried slow deliberate/exaggerated motions with the club to feel that movement pattern. Our brains don’t like to learn at full speed. Start at an exaggerated slow speed when doing drills and then ramp it up until it’s not working then back off speed a little. It usually takes lots of reps to get a movement down and even more to master it.

another suggestion would be to have your instructor give you a different move/drill to try if you feel like this isn’t working/helping.

larstly if option two isn’t working or your instructor doesn’t want to change it might be best to find a new instructor 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Well , went back today for my 2 Nd golf lesson throwing a ball down into a net. After working tirelessly on my last lesson. Little to nil progress has been made before and during this current lesson. As expected , the pro quickly pointed out how naturally I throw a ball under hand. But when he had me replicate with my right arm only I can completely failed. Not sure how a simple task like this can be so misconstrued by myself. He did have me think of some non mechanical keys that helped alleviate my failures. Was told to look down the fairway before I hit the ball. The results of ball striking were complete disaster doing this. Not sure how to proceed ? Maybe extending casting and stalling is just a part of my golf game 

I would stick with the drills that he’s given you. How long did it take you to develop the bad swing habits that you have?

It will take some time to undo them.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sounds like you are unable to do the drills even during the lesson. Keep working with the drills and discuss your inability to do the drills during the lesson. Does the instructor allow you to ask questions between each lesson. Perhaps and email or quick phone call might help

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Also, rarely will progress be made DURING a lesson.  A lesson should be used to teach you the new concepts you will be working for and the drills that will help ingrain those new concepts.  It is then up for you to work on those concepts and movements in-between lessons.

If you are struggling in-between lessons, you need to have the ability to communicate with your coach.  Text, email, phone, Instagram DM - anything.  If you are just spinning your wheels, you are wasting both his and your own time.  

Swing changes are frustrating as they are undoing years worth of bad habits and muscle memory.  What's more frustrating is some people adapt faster to change than others, and you might even find some changes you are trying to make are easier than others.

If you keep an open line of communication with your coach during and in-between lessons, it is only going to alleviate the growing pains.

55 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If you can't communicate openly with your coach and get on the same page, find a new coach.  

It is very simple. Tossing a ball under hand right handed into a golf net simulator.Than replicate that feel with a golf club in one hand than two. I can do the ball toss 100%. With a club and ball on ground im at a big fat 0%. It’s so simple, yet so complexing hard. I really feel as if I may never get this golf swing part of golf. Maybe just live with my swing faults and work around them.

My head , neck and body always stop turning with a ball on the ground. I can’t get out of that funk. And believe me, he is trying with tons of hints - tips - feels 

1 minute ago, Big money said:

It is very simple. Tossing a ball under hand right handed into a golf net simulator.Than replicate that feel with a golf club in one hand than two. I can do the ball toss 100%. With a club and ball on ground im at a big fat 0%. It’s so simple, yet so complexing hard. I really feel as if I may never get this golf swing part of golf. Maybe just live with my swing faults and work around them.

But why isn't it working?  Do you flip? Do you shift your weight differently? If does your grip size feel wrong?  You need to dive into that sort of information and feelings with your coach

46 minutes ago, jlukes said:

If you can't communicate openly with your coach and get on the same page, find a new coach

I've found and seen more bad lesson pros and such than good ones. Just because they have the title of PGA Professional doesn't mean squat in my book. In any line of business there are good people and not so good people; as far as advice and instruction is concerned that is. I've had plumbers and doctors do more harm than good and got rid of them. Same with a golf pro.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

17 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I've found and seen more bad lesson pros and such than good ones. Just because they have the title of PGA Professional doesn't mean squat in my book. In any line of business there are good people and not so good people; as far as advice and instruction is concerned that is. I've had plumbers and doctors do more harm than good and got rid of them. Same with a golf pro.

I hate to condemn an instructor that I haven't seen work, but I think Plaid is right.   It sounds as if you've had two lessons, and the guy is telling you the same thing over and over, as if he only knows one way to teach.  And you've consistently been unable to use that "thing" and achieve any kind of success.  In my mind, good instructors understand that different feels or drills are required for different people, even if the identical swing change is needed.   If this guy only has one way, and that way doesn't work for you, I'd try someone else.

And yes, there ARE a lot of poor instructors out there.  The educational requirements to become a PGA Professional cover a wide array of skills, from understanding turf management, golf shop merchandise purchasing and inventory management, tournament operations, and yes, instruction.  But the education doesn't go very deeply into any of those fields.  

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

49 minutes ago, jlukes said:

But why isn't it working?  Do you flip? Do you shift your weight differently? If does your grip size feel wrong?  You need to dive into that sort of information and feelings with your coach

I’ve been stopping at impact and extend stall and under flip getting the ball in the air. Why I do this is beyond my pay grade. And it’s so ingrained I guess I can’t stop. He speaks to me well and makes sense. His simple philosophy is throwing a club and ball is a swing in golf. When I have a ball on the ground I’m fixiated in one spot and only one spot. Hit and scoop, and if damned I can’t stop doing it 

2 hours ago, Big money said:

I’ve been stopping at impact and extend stall and under flip getting the ball in the air. Why I do this is beyond my pay grade. And it’s so ingrained I guess I can’t stop. He speaks to me well and makes sense. His simple philosophy is throwing a club and ball is a swing in golf. When I have a ball on the ground I’m fixiated in one spot and only one spot. Hit and scoop, and if damned I can’t stop doing it 

Honestly, if the instructor can't find more than one way to teach this, he may not be worth seeing again. Any teacher should understand, that one drill may not click with a player, I might seek out a new coach and see if the new coach can give you a different drill. 

If you want to keep trying this drill, I'd try to swing the club really slowly. That will make it easier to respect the motion of throwing the ball. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

@jlukes. I agree that lots of progress may not be made during a lesson, but if you are unable to successfully complete the drill during the lesson at least once you have no chance after the lesson.

Seems like this feel/drill won’t work for you and you need another way to get there. If the instructor can’t provide another approach you may need to move on since it sounds like he teaches a single method.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

@jlukes. I agree that lots of progress may not be made during a lesson, but if you are unable to successfully complete the drill during the lesson at least once you have no chance after the lesson.

Seems like this feel/drill won’t work for you and you need another way to get there. If the instructor can’t provide another approach you may need to move on since it sounds like he teaches a single method.

Exactly. And that's why there needs to be communication during the lesson from student to coach. 

Takes more than than one or two lessons to get those changes and drills to sink in so I’d stick to what the instructor is giving you and not overthink things. Sticking to the practice plan will be worth it soon enough, I promise.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived