Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
SteddyGolf

Would you be interested in MGS Virtual Golf League

10 minutes ago, pulledabill said:

Inteterested and listening but only if no money is involved wirh the actual play. 

Same here - need to know more. 

Id be interested. Would there be some type of modified scoring, as the course I play weekly on tuesdays is easier (by about 6-8 strokes) for me than other courses I play

I had a family emergency that pulled me away from this idea for a minute.

Update #1. The Grint is a free app that will allow different golfers to play at different courses and have their scores compete against one another. The golfers would not have to play on the same day or time. There would be a suspense date to complete each month’s round. If a golfer did not play in April they simply would not get any points for that month’s play. The season would run concurrent to the PGA tour with the virtual championship being played in Sept. Golfers would receive a point value for each tournament. The golfer with the most points at the end of the season is the champion.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Definitely interested. Great idea and thank you for putting in the legwork to get this started!

Happy to help if you need extra hands for anything.

2 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

I had a family emergency that pulled me away from this idea for a minute.

Update #1. The Grint is a free app that will allow different golfers to play at different courses and have their scores compete against one another. The golfers would not have to play on the same day or time. There would be a suspense date to complete each month’s round. If a golfer did not play in April they simply would not get any points for that month’s play. The season would run concurrent to the PGA tour with the virtual championship being played in Sept. Golfers would receive a point value for each tournament. The golfer with the most points at the end of the season is the champion.

This seems like a logical place to start, I see a couple of things to work through.  I'm guessing the competition would be some kind of net score, perhaps lowest differential, so it takes into account handicap and golf course information.  Many of us will play multiple rounds in a given time period, will you be looking at the one best, or the first, or something else?  I know the Grint calculates handicaps for players, but many of us keep our handicaps someplace else, such as through our home club.  Is there a way to enter our USGA Handicap into Grint, without entering all the scores we shoot, keeping a parallel handicap?

I think you have a great idea, and I'll be interested to see how you develop the details. Good luck, and thanks for your efforts.

This seems like a logical place to start, I see a couple of things to work through.  I'm guessing the competition would be some kind of net score, perhaps lowest differential, so it takes into account handicap and golf course information.  Many of us will play multiple rounds in a given time period, will you be looking at the one best, or the first, or something else?  I know the Grint calculates handicaps for players, but many of us keep our handicaps someplace else, such as through our home club.  Is there a way to enter our USGA Handicap into Grint, without entering all the scores we shoot, keeping a parallel handicap? I think you have a great idea, and I'll be interested to see how you develop the details. Good luck, and thanks for your efforts.

Great questions. This entire virtual golf tour would be based on the honor system. If we have two tournaments a month it will be up to the individual to enter their on scores. If they play 14 rounds in a given month and enter only their best scores that would be acceptable. The app will adjust for their handicap and course rating for a overall net score. Yes there is a way to either manually enter your handicap or have it brought forward from the USGA

In a short period of time I’ll send out an all hands message and run a test tournament. The test will require everyone to enter a score with a date but they will not actually have to physically play a round of golf. They can just make up a score or use an old one. This will give us a feel for how things might work.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SteddyGolf said:

Great questions. This entire virtual golf tour would be based on the honor system. If we have two tournaments a month it will be up to the individual to enter their on scores. If they play 14 rounds in a given month and enter only their best scores that would be acceptable. The app will adjust for their handicap and course rating for a overall net score. Yes there is a way to either manually enter your handicap or have it brought forward from the USGA

Sounds like you've thought it through, I'll be watching.  One comment, accepting a player's best score in a specific time window does give an advantage to players who get more rounds in.  Have you considered having the player pre-determine that THIS will be my round for MGS, and so each player really only has one chance per time period?  Obviously that would be on the honor system, but the entire league is based on that already.  

Sounds like you've thought it through, I'll be watching.  One comment, accepting a player's best score in a specific time window does give an advantage to players who get more rounds in.  Have you considered having the player pre-determine that THIS will be my round for MGS, and so each player really only has one chance per time period?  Obviously that would be on the honor system, but the entire league is based on that already.  

As I’ve brained stormed through this I believe the more constraints you put on folks the harder it will be to get them to participate. I hope to mirror the PGA Tour and conduct two virtual tournaments a month. I think a 14 day window per tournament is a reasonable constraint.

• Like 3