TESTERS WANTED! ×

So many choices...

Sluggo42

Went to roger Dunn’s today to hit the 790, as Chisag makes it sound so danged  nice.

it was, but then I started hitting everything they had and now I’m so mixed up. Srixons, Ping i500 and 400, and i210, Cleveland’s, TM M4, and the 790,s... they were all pretty nice...

and then I hit the mizzy 919 Forged, on a recoil Stiff shaft... geez it was nice. That old mizzy feeling I used to be addicted to with my mp33’s and 64’s. And it was as long as the rest too, I mean the 7 iron was going 170. That like me 20 years ago when I could hit a 7 iron 175. Now my ap2’s feel pretty nice, but they don’t feel quite as nice, or do they go as far...

decisions, decisions.....🤔

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I know what you mean.  Lots of quality equipment out there and it seems like everything could find a spot in the bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Went to roger Dunn’s today to hit the 790, as Chisag makes it sound so danged  nice.
it was, but then I started hitting everything they had and now I’m so mixed up. Srixons, Ping i500 and 400, and i210, Cleveland’s, TM M4, and the 790,s... they were all pretty nice...
and then I hit the mizzy 919 Forged, on a recoil Stiff shaft... geez it was nice. That old mizzy feeling I used to be addicted to with my mp33’s and 64’s. And it was as long as the rest too, I mean the 7 iron was going 170. That like me 20 years ago when I could hit a 7 iron 175. Now my ap2’s feel pretty nice, but they don’t feel quite as nice, or do they go as far...
decisions, decisions.....

Numbered clubs vs actually lofts continue to confuse golfers who possess historical performance for comparison. I am a long time Mizuno fan and I’m sure the 919s are fantastic examples of their work. Still, when talking distance you really need to review the lofts and compare them to the appropriate numbered club.

A Mizuno 919 forged 7 iron standard loft is 32 degrees. 20 years ago Mizuno’s most popular forged irons were the T-Zoid Pros. The 7 iron in that set was 35 degrees with a 4 degree drop to 31 degrees in the 6 iron.

With all that being said I’m still very impressed to hear you hit a 7 iron with a 35 degree loft 175 yards. In my mind that’s pretty huge.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

15 hours ago, SteddyGolf said:

With all that being said I’m still very impressed to hear you hit a 7 iron with a 35 degree loft 175 yards. In my mind that’s pretty huge.

Ahh, big difference between 42 and 62 years of age. I could really knock em back then... but funny thing, I score better now... go figure

It’s a good time to be looking for clubs with so many choices.  Figure out what looks nice to you and eliminate the ones that don’t.  Demo the ones you like and see what feels good to you and then get fit for your final choices to see what works best for your game 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Yes it’s true that lofts are jacked up in the new clubs, but, the faces are indeed hotter than the “old” clubs. Thinner faces, speed foam, magic dust, boron infused, roller cam bearings, and turbo’s. Yup, they are fast.

so I guess one could wonder if matching lofts, how much further the hot faces go. Maybe 5-10 yds? I remember a few months ago I hit something like a rogue or an epic 7 iron and it went like 190 or something truly rediculous. I can’t recall any specifics, so I’m just throwing those numbers out, but the point was, that I remember thinking how absurd it was that I was hitting something that far.

so then one could  muse, how far do I really “need” an iron to go...? It would be nice to have a little more confidence in that 150-200 range. And it will also be a different spin along with a steeper drop. But it would be cool to utilize all of the newest tech available.

6 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Yes it’s true that lofts are jacked up in the new clubs, but, the faces are indeed hotter than the “old” clubs. Thinner faces, speed foam, magic dust, boron infused, roller cam bearings, and turbo’s. Yup, they are fast.

I think the other thing that people ignore is peak height.  While the clubs are jacked, they launch the ball higher.  higher launch and greater decent angle will help make up for the drop in spin.      

I still don't care what the lofts are,  I just want to be able to pick a club that I can hit x distance. Who knows,  the ideal makeup may be driver, 3 wood,  hybrid, 6 - 8 iron, and then a bunch of wedges.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think the other thing that people ignore is peak height.  While the clubs are jacked, they launch the ball higher.  higher launch and greater decent angle will help make up for the drop in spin.      

I still don't care what the lofts are,  I just want to be able to pick a club that I can hit x distance. Who knows,  the ideal makeup may be driver, 3 wood,  hybrid, 6 - 8 iron, and then a bunch of wedges.  

Exactly. The jacked loft argument or point is played out. There’s a reason behind the design and launch characteristics that go into it.  

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

12 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

so I guess one could wonder if matching lofts, how much further the hot faces go. Maybe 5-10 yds? I remember a few months ago I hit something like a rogue or an epic 7 iron and it went like 190 or something truly rediculous. I can’t recall any specifics, so I’m just throwing those numbers out, but the point was, that I remember thinking how absurd it was that I was hitting something that far.

so then one could  muse, how far do I really “need” an iron to go...? It would be nice to have a little more confidence in that 150-200 range. And it will also be a different spin along with a steeper drop. But it would be cool to utilize all of the newest tech available.

Switching to the loft-jacked, hot-faced, game-improvement F8's last year made me noticeably better from beyond 150.  I cited it in one of the CCC writeups - I forget the numbers, but it made a difference.  

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

That was a concern that I had with the new clubs.  Hitting a 7 iron 175 wouldn't do me any good if I couldn't hold it on a green.  Luckily, the new clubs really do launch the ball straight up in the air, so they will stop.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This is the problem I have. Tax season coming up and I'm spoiling myself with an iron fitting since I've never had one. I dont even know where to start. 

I'm a 15 handicap (trending downwards, with the last year its dropped significantly)but hate the big chunky GI irons and really love the feeling of a well struck forged club. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

9 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

This is the problem I have. Tax season coming up and I'm spoiling myself with an iron fitting since I've never had one. I dont even know where to start. 

I'm a 15 handicap (trending downwards, with the last year its dropped significantly)but hate the big chunky GI irons and really love the feeling of a well struck forged club. 

Based on your comments I would have to ask what kind of fitting do you want?  Do you want to do a fitting where you find out what is best for your game or one where you pick a club/style and find the best shaft to go with the club.  What are your goals from the fitting?

Based on your comments I would have to ask what kind of fitting do you want?  Do you want to do a fitting where you find out what is best for your game or one where you pick a club/style and find the best shaft to go with the club.  What are your goals from the fitting?

To me, getting a fitting shows you want to improve your game. But as with everything someone purchases, you want to like what you purchased.

My goal for the fitting is is to gain an edge over the current equipment I have whether it’s distance, dispersion, or a combination of both. I’ll gladly give up some performance for something I’m more comfortable looking at though. Last thing I want to do is drop a thousand or dollars and hate looking at the clubs I purchased.

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

2 hours ago, patrickleeleep said:

To me, getting a fitting shows you want to improve your game. But as with everything someone purchases, you want to like what you purchased.

My goal for the fitting is is to gain an edge over the current equipment I have whether it’s distance, dispersion, or a combination of both. I’ll gladly give up some performance for something I’m more comfortable looking at though. Last thing I want to do is drop a thousand or dollars and hate looking at the clubs I purchased.

The great thing about golf gear these days is imo everyone can find something that doesn’t sacrifice one for the other. 

Improving your game is definitely what you want to do, but as you said in the rest I want my clubs to look nice. Those desires may be in conflict. Do you want to play competitive golf? Do you want to be able to work the ball. High ball flight, low ball flight? How much are you willing to give up before you decide that you current equipment is fine?

Based on you last statement, your fitting desire might best be approached by picking what you want from a head design and then finding the best shaft.

Archived