TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ball Flight issues with Irons...

Hi Guys,

Because it's snowing and stupid up here, I've been playing golf indoors in a simulator league. Not super serious but gets me out hitting golf balls to try and forget that it's winter. I have been hitting my driver fairly well (ACCRA FX250 270 M5 flex) and my wedges have also been good (standard DG wedge shafts). I have had no problems with fairway woods or hybrids. My major issue has been my irons. I am hitting awful, massive hooks with my irons. Now, hooks have been my problem in the past, but the machine is registering me swinging anywhere from 20-30 degrees from the inside most of the time. I am swinging stiff XP105's in my steelheads and am just having a heck of a time trying to sort this out. I will try and put a swing video up this week. Anybody had any problems like this before? My irons are supposed to be D2 swingweight, but they feel so heavy when I swing them. Am I just using the wrong combo for my current swing?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Hi Guys,
Because it's snowing and stupid up here, I've been playing golf indoors in a simulator league. Not super serious but gets me out hitting golf balls to try and forget that it's winter. I have been hitting my driver fairly well (ACCRA FX250 270 M5 flex) and my wedges have also been good (standard DG wedge shafts). I have had no problems with fairway woods or hybrids. My major issue has been my irons. I am hitting awful, massive hooks with my irons. Now, hooks have been my problem in the past, but the machine is registering me swinging anywhere from 20-30 degrees from the inside most of the time. I am swinging stiff XP105's in my steelheads and am just having a heck of a time trying to sort this out. I will try and put a swing video up this week. Anybody had any problems like this before? My irons are supposed to be D2 swingweight, but they feel so heavy when I swing them. Am I just using the wrong combo for my current swing?

1. What I have learned watching simulators is that the shot tracer curve looks like there is more curve than there really is.

2. You mention 20-30 degrees from the inside which is pretty severe and I would like you probably question. But unless you are changing your swing that may be how you are actually swinging.

3. Yes, I see this in my swing in simulators. People try harder when in a simulator since it shows you numbers and people seem to want to manipulate the numbers instead of swinging the club.

4. D2 can be heavy for some and light others. Can’t speak for you. If you want to know if they are the right combination for you, I would seek the insight if a club fitter. Are these new irons or irons that you have been playing for a while? If you have been playing them for a while, did they feel heavy before you started using the simulator?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Are these new irons or irons that you have been playing for a while? If you have been playing them for a while, did they feel heavy before you started using the simulator?

That was my immediate question - how have your clubs changed from the last time you played on the course. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

1. What I have learned watching simulators is that the shot tracer curve looks like there is more curve than there really is.

2. You mention 20-30 degrees from the inside which is pretty severe and I would like you probably question. But unless you are changing your swing that may be how you are actually swinging.

3. Yes, I see this in my swing in simulators. People try harder when in a simulator since it shows you numbers and people seem to want to manipulate the numbers instead of swinging the club.

4. D2 can be heavy for some and light others. Can’t speak for you. If you want to know if they are the right combination for you, I would seek the insight if a club fitter. Are these new irons or irons that you have been playing for a while? If you have been playing them for a while, did they feel heavy before you started using the simulator?

Good points and that far from inside could be due to getting stuck in transition.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I always hate giving advice because I’m not a teacher but it’s best to look at the basics first.

How’s your alignment? Ball position? Grip?

Is there something going on with one of those things with irons that’s not going on with your other clubs? Sometimes it’s hard to get properly inside when hitting into a screen.

Beyond those basics check points, be careful about taking swing advice from non pros on the internet - we are fully capable of making matters much worse. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

2 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

That was my immediate question - how have your clubs changed from the last time you played on the course. 

No, not at all. Been playing the same irons for the last year and a half. I've always thought they were heavier but I seem to be getting a different feel now. Maybe it's from taking a few months off since playing? 

I appreciate the notes guys thanks. Just wondering if anybody had any  thoughts. I am probably swinging them differently but I just can't feel how. I have heard that heavier shafts are easier to "drop into the slot" and good for slicers, however I am the opposite. Maybe a lighter shaft would help?

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

Yeah, I'm with @jlukes, I don't think 20-30 is possible. I would guess the machine isn't reading right. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can find an indoor range or heated range, so you can see actual ballflight, I think that would be helpful. That way you know what the ball is actually doing. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

On 1/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, jlukes said:

What is the machine that is measure 20 to 30 degrees from the inside?  20 to 30 degrees is almost entering the realm of not physically possible

HMMMM,  that sounds like a challenge  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 1/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, revkev said:

I always hate giving advice because I’m not a teacher but it’s best to look at the basics first.

How’s your alignment? Ball position? Grip?

Is there something going on with one of those things with irons that’s not going on with your other clubs? Sometimes it’s hard to get properly inside when hitting into a screen.

Beyond those basics check points, be careful about taking swing advice from non pros on the internet - we are fully capable of making matters much worse. 🙂

Yeah, without trying to give instruction I was going to suggest that with a big inside-to-out path and a big hook then your clubface must be closed to the path on impact .. and possibly even further closed relative to your target line....

Hitting indoors can be weird. Very weird. I find the dim lighting on the ball troublesome with my old eyes.

Agree with The Rev to be careful with, and carefully check, your aim and alignment - before making any other swing changes.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I've been struggling with this lately too. Waaaay inside, closed face, and shanks. The only thing that fixed it for me was to tell myself to swing at my target. It fixed my closed shoulder angle somehow. Instead of getting technical, I was able to fix a technical problem with a simple though. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived