TESTERS WANTED! ×

Had fitting today - but confused about what to do. Help!

Apologies for a long post. I'm 59, and just got back into the game after 20 years of 2-3 rounds a year. At my best I was a 13 and now after starting back (about 8 rounds so far) I'm averaging low to mid 90's, but improving at decent rate. Clubs were 20+ years old - so I scheduled a full bag fitting at Club Champion. It was a very interesting experience - but I walked away at the end feeling like I had been at a used car dealer. The press to buy immediately was stronger than I expected - and I suspect that the fitter basically spec'ed me as a guy that can afford anything I want (he asked what I do and I told him that I own a consulting company) - so the full bag came to $7500 +. I didn't establish a "budget" going in - nor did he probe much on that front - and I didn't want to rule out things like PXG without a try (maybe my core mistake?). When the fitter realized that I wasn't going to buy on the spot, he said "what would it take to get you into the irons today?" I completely hadn't expected any pricing flexibility or high pressure and frankly was turned off by the way he handled the price discussion overall. So that's the bad part.

The good part was I was surprised (pleasantly) about how the approach helped me get an idea of what might work best for me. For irons the Srixon 585 and PXG 0311XF were my favorites - with the Srixon having slightly better control - but about 8 yards on average less than the PXG's. I'm torn on whether the investment in PXG is the right answer - still open to it - but not convinced. Both irons were fit with a KBS Tour Graphite 80g shaft. The shafts added $85 to each iron cost from Club Champion. Where things got really crazy was driver, 3 wood, and hybrids. The driver that worked best was a Titleist TS2 - but he had me hitting a $405 upgraded shaft (Fujikura Speeder Evolution V) - which basically makes the total driver $1000+. For the 3 wood and hybrids, I preferred the Srixon Z F85 (3W) and H85 hybrids, but again the shaft upgrades were $315 for the 3W (Fujikura Atmos Red 6) and $165 for the hybrids (each) (Fujikura PRO 2.0 Hybrid). So just in driver, 3W and two hybrids we were at $2500+. 

Here's my dilemma. I'm going to buy new sticks for sure - and am frankly ok with spending a lot of money (but well short of $7500). What I'm not clear on is whether a guy that's shooting 90-95 currently is honestly going to get value from these high cost shafts.  I do have a bad enough taste in my mouth about the guy that I can't see going back to Club Champion - so may explore a club builder that could work with all the data from the fitting (as I have all of it from the Trackman). Alternatively, I'm curious if there's a simple way to "map" the core characteristics of the shafts he spec'ed to the "stock" offerings from Titleist and Srixon, as again I find it really hard to believe that I'm worthy of the higher cost shafts. For example, Titleist offers 4 options in the TS2 - and I realize I can look at the specs and try to compare them to the specs of the Fujikura (as an example) but have zero idea if that approach even remotely makes sense. I suspect the PXG guy that comes to our club can likely spec that KBS shaft in a fitting - so if I can get my head around the price point and brand of PXG, that might be an option on the irons at their standard price without the Club Champion uplift for PXG. Srixon appears to have a lot of "no upgrade cost" options available too. 

I'd appreciate hearing from you folks on what you might suggest as a next step. My gut says that if I pick a stock graphite shaft in the Z585 offerings that's close to what he spec'ed - that it's likely to be very similar - but having read a lot of the forum posts I know how learned many of you are with respect to these things. Given my current abilities, I just have no feel for whether I could tell any real difference between 2 similar spec shafts that vary widely in price. 

Thanks in advance for any coaching or suggestions!

As pushy as the fitter might have been, you should have been clear about your budget and your preferences up front and throughout the fitting. You could have told him up front that you wanted to exclude certain brands, try no upcharge shaft options first, etc. 

Srixon 585 is an absolutely fantastic option if you do go that route 

Fair enough. Frankly being away from golf for a good while, I had no idea that shafts could cost as much as the driver (as an example). 

I'm still curious for perspectives on shaft comparisons - assuming weight, torque, flex, and "kick point" are very close - would an 18-20 handicap honestly see/feel any difference? 

FWIW, I did just send the fitter an email asking for additional options - so we'll see what that brings too. 

23 minutes ago, jefframm said:

Fair enough. Frankly being away from golf for a good while, I had no idea that shafts could cost as much as the driver (as an example). 

I'm still curious for perspectives on shaft comparisons - assuming weight, torque, flex, and "kick point" are very close - would an 18-20 handicap honestly see/feel any difference? 

FWIW, I did just send the fitter an email asking for additional options - so we'll see what that brings too. 

For some people shaft makes a big difference and for others it makes no difference at all. The really can affect how a club feels and thus change your delivery while do something else for someone different. 

I think a big key during a fitting is communication. Kick points and torque aren't really as important as you communicating to the fitter what feels good/bad/different. He can then take those feelings and make recommendations to better suit what you are looking feeling and the results you are seeing. 

A person with a handicap such as yourself can absolutely still benefit from a fitting. 

Good on you for walking away. You’ll always second guess your purchase if you pull the trigger at the expense of a pushy salesman.

Set a realistic goal. A $400 driver shaft upgrade isn’t likely going to make much of a difference in your game.

There’s a lot of loyal Srixon guys here who can give you feedback if you’d like. At the end of the day, get what you want. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wowsers.  That would be one impressive(ly pricey) bag.  So is it the responsibility of the client to set a ceiling right off the bat or should the fitter ask what the budget is?  If I were to go into one of these, I would specify that I only want to test shafts that are a minor upgrade cost.  I might hit a few high end models at the end for giggles to see if I could tell the difference.  I wonder if you tried any reasonably priced shafts or once he heard "I on a con$ulting company" if the only options you were given were high margin shafts.  I have contemplated one of the Club Champion fittings as they are 50% off through January, but this sounds like purchasing a car, which I like as much as paper cuts under my fingernails.  Does the trackman data show what other shafts you hit?  Were there some cheaper options in a close second place?  I don't know what your ultimate budget is.  I would look at things in a $ per yard or $ per dispersion point of view.  If I could deck out a whole bag for half that cost that is a few yards shorter and is a few percent less accurate, I would say I'd pocket the $3750 and take a few lessons.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

One thing to remember is at Club Champion you PAID FOR THE FITTING. Now, you get all of your information, and you buy the clubs elsewhere for a LOT less. They make money on the clubs, and then even MORE on the “build”.
Make sure to communicate as Joe has said so the fitter knows what he’s looking at and how best to help you.
I’ve been to CC three times and each time I told them up-front I’m not buying the clubs through them. Once they fitted me to a shaft and said it would cost me $400. Nah. I can get that shaft a LOT cheaper elsewhere, and did. They wanted $350 for an Oban Devotion. I got it brand new at Dallas golf, with the adapter, cut to my length, for $190.....
Anyway, take the specs they give you and buy elsewhere. You’ll save a TON of money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What if you can get a nearly optimal fit in one of the stock shaft options?  If you order through CC, are they still going to push the disassembly and magic reassembly?  Would they do a loft/lie check verify gapping between clubs if they come with the right shafts from the manufacturer?  Or is that only guaranteed if they put the clubs together? 

I'm with @PMookie in that you can probably build that exact bag, or at least one very close, for half the price. If you get the Srixon irons, that's $1500 off the PXG's, see, you can cut a lot of corners and still end up with a great bag. But DO NOT!!! buy directly from Club Champion. They will gouge you for prices. Take the fitting info and buy the bag yourself! 

Edited by GB13

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I’m also 59 and was scheduled for a full bag at CC.  I saw my instructor’s boss, Todd Sones at the Buffalo Grove Dome. He told me they have a Foresight GCQuad unit that measures the normal radar stuff, plus what the club face did at impact.

I canceled my CC fitting and met my instructor, Mason Wall at the dome. 90 mins later, we figured out what I needed (new irons and different shafts for my GBB (2015) woods).  I ended up with Mizuno JXP 919 Hot Metal Irons and wedges (2* upright) with PX LZ graphite and MCC +4 midsized grips.  All standard upgrades from Mizuno, and worked perfectly.  Between that and shafts from CPO, I’m at about $1,305.  No puring, undercoating or sore arms from hitting a bunch of balls.

You should have gotten the spec sheets from CC, so you will have options, price wise.  It’s amazing how much BETTER I hit balls with the more upright iron heads. With arthritic hands, the graphite shafts and MCC +4 felt great, with no “bee stinging” in my left pinky and ring finger (from a shattered knuckle, eons ago).

Hopefully, you’ll find a more cost efficient version of what you need.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

What if you can get a nearly optimal fit in one of the stock shaft options?  If you order through CC, are they still going to push the disassembly and magic reassembly?  Would they do a loft/lie check verify gapping between clubs if they come with the right shafts from the manufacturer?  Or is that only guaranteed if they put the clubs together? 

Only when they build them.... They take everything apart, make sure the clubs weigh the same, lofts are correct, and pure all of the shafts. Edel did the same thing when they built my irons, but for a LOT less! It’s not worth what CC charges. The info they give has all of the specs for each club, and they send all of the TrackMan data separated by club/shaft. The data and build recommendations are worth the price for the fitting. I chose different irons than they recommended, but I used their specs for my order from Discount Dan’s. I then found the shafts for the driver, and fairway metals, elsewhere, but again, I used their specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

@jefframm you sound like a perfect case study for a question from @revkev.  Go through the manufacturer on the club purchases.  Play enough rounds to get a good idea of how much your new fitted clubs have improved your game.  Then get some lessons with your giant stash left over.  Play some more rounds and report back in the thread below!

I greatly appreciate the replies and all the perspectives. The advice on lessons is spot on - and I should have also told you that I'm already signed up for lessons with the head of golf instruction for our club group. I'm clear that it's a lot of the "carpenter" as opposed to the "tools". But I do think my tools are way off. One thing that came out from a "quicky" session with the PXG rep at our club - which was confirmed by the CC fitter is that I need 1/2" longer shafts in my irons. 

As I mentioned in my original post - there was a lot of "good" in the fitting experience - meaning that I now know which irons I like best, and that I need a lighter weight graphite shaft - and have a sense for the specific shaft weights and types that felt the best and produced the best result. 

Having had a look at both the Srixon site and Titleist site it's clear that there are lots of "no up-charge" shaft options and I think I can get close to the specs from the fitting. Since I also have the Trackman data, and know what the dispersion and distance looks like for the driver and 6 iron (key test clubs in the fitting), I'm going to do a little experiment of my own at PGATour Superstore and hit the Titleist TS2 with the shaft that most closely matches to the one he spec'ed at a $400+ upgrade charge. Two of their four shaft options for the TS2 look like they have potential. I doubt they have the exact shaft choice for the irons that I saw on Srixon.com - but who knows - I may get lucky there.

In fairness to CC and my fitter, I think "in the moment" I was shocked enough at the pricing and the pressure (after reading reviews that said "no pressure to buy") that I didn't think to propose alternatives that would drop the pricing - so have now sent the guy an email asking him to reconstitute the "bag" with lower cost shaft options, as I'm curious to see what he'll come up with. 

Again, thanks for the help and I'll report back as I progress.

Personally I wouldn't walk.... I'd run from your local CC store. I've never had a fitting experience at CC and I've made comments before about my one and only "visit" to a CC in Austin Texas. I only went there to see a store and look around. Nice place. But here's what I learned. A "salesman" ehem... fitter came over and we talked a little bit about their process/approach. At one point during our discussion I picked up a driver head of some brand as asked what would this cost for example. The salesman plucked a shaft off the wall and said, "oh about $600-$700" I recall. Gulp. I then asked how much is the head and how much for the shaft he selected. He said the head was like $250 - $300 and the shaft $400. Hmmm? I then asked wouldn't it be possible for me to be properly fit into a great driver with a $200 shaft? The salesman replied, "absolutely!" 

I don't know where you live JeffRamm but you might want to consider seeking out an independent fitter - builder for your new clubs. They're out there and some have way more years experience than most CC stores. These new club fitting boutiques sprang up after the advent of Launch Monitors IMO. There's a lot invested in these fancy stores where they sell the sizzle and you pay for all the show and fluff. My irons were custom fit and built by a guy that's been applying his trade for 30 years. He's a nationally recognized, accredited, award winning club fitter. He also uses a LM in conjunction with his vast experience. His fitting shop isn't fancy. It's functional, clean and appropriate for the task at hand. In other words it all business and no frills. Give your journey some thought and take your time before you make any commitments. You'll end up with great playing clubs and save a ton of cash over a CC type of boutique.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have been fit for lie, and shaft flex, but I have always bought clubs with stock shafts. I'm a 4 handicap, but I've never paid extra for exotic shafts. I may be an exception, but I just don't see how doubling the price of my clubs is going to make me that much better. I'm sure some players have benefited from such a detailed fitting, but that is just not the way I approach the game.

Dollar Cost Averaging!!!! My guess is you are a pretty smart guy. Consider this.......a custom fitting at this point in your development could look completely different 8 months from now leaving you with a $7500 investment that does not fit. At 59 your feet are not going to grow any more so your shoes will always fit, however, your golf game will grow, change, improve and sometimes digress as you increase frequency of play. I recommend making a modest investment in some one or two year old clubs before jumping in with both feet into the deep end of the latest technology.

A set of “almost” new clubs will bring you close to today’s technology at a fraction of the price. I’d use these clubs for at least one full season before replacing them one piece at a time. Once you start spending more time around Golf and more importantly Golfers you are going to have the ability to test all sorts of clubs as well as honest open discussion about said equipment. As a basic estimate see below using EBay:

Ping G Driver $200
Callaway Epic 3 Wood $120
Srixon irons 565 4i thru PW $329
Taylormade Spider putter $100

Wedges I’d buy new and can be had at $79 each from Cleveland

Total estimated cost is less than $1000. If you ultimately spend $3500 for new clubs after using these “almost new” ones for a season then according to my South Carolina Public School education you’ve saved yourself a cool $3 grand. You can use that $3 grand to pay for my consultation fee .

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Not much to add here other than if you had a good local who could recommend much more affordable options than will perform similarly to what you got there based on your specs.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Club champions job is to sell you their services of fitting plus club building. They don’t like to or rarely carry the stock shafts so you are going to pay a premium for everything. 

While tryin to find shafts with similar specs could save you money it’s also possible they feel and/or play different than what you were fit for.  I don’t think anyone needs uncharged shafts but it does help to be fit to the right shaft and head combo.  I was set on p790 with kbs $ taper earlier in the year. Fitter changed to the nipping modus 120 and the feel and performance changed right away. I went to a pxg fitting expecting either of those shafts to be what I walk away with and instead ended up in px 6.0

I would find a demo day of a trusted fitter that carried mist brands and a selection of stock shafts and get fit that way.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I read the OP but skimmed responses. Any idea if CC fitters get commission on sales?

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

To your question, PULLEDABILL, I would have to think the answer is yes based on his behavior. There was another guy getting a fitting in the bay next to me - and at one point he went outside to call his wife to get "clearance" to buy whatever it was the fitter had proposed. While he was outside, my fitter said to the other guy "went to call the wife, huh"? and it sounded EXACTLY like the kind of banter you hear sometimes among car salespeople. 

I had read a number of reviews about both of the individuals that were fitting that day (my fitter and the other guy) and with one exception where a guy was upset about after the sale customer service - they were really strong reviews. Of course there's no way to tell if they were real reviews - but my gut says they were. 

I've decided to give the guy the benefit of the doubt - maybe he's under a lot of pressure or something. I learned a lot - and the discussion here has given my clarity on next steps. I had hit the Srixon's prior to the fitting and really liked them - so I'm going to proceed with those and approach the rest of the bag a step at the time. 

Happy Sunday!

I read the OP but skimmed responses. Any idea if CC fitters get commission on sales?

If they don't, a the very least they're evaluated on the sales they produce.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If they don't, a the very least they're evaluated on the sales they produce.

It’s my understanding they get a salary plus commission with bonus opportunities. My best fitting irons have been when I go to a shop, hit irons by myself and am left alone with a fitting cart, impact tape and a launch monitor. From there I go by what feels best and I hit the middle of the club face the most with.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I did an iron fitting at CC in Dec and was fit into the Srixon z585 as well. I got KBS Tour 90 shafts along with them. I did some price searching and bought directly from Srixon for $1k+ less than CC. They did the shafts, adjusted loft/lie and put on the right grips too. Much better deal. ($1,200 from Srixon vs $2,350 at CC)

As for the pushy of the fitter, that’s unfortunate. I know they make commission off of purchases. But I was fortunate enough to have a CC fitter that was more concerned with getting me set up in the right equipment vs pushing me to buy. I outright told them it wasn’t happening today and I’d shop around. While he wasn’t happy, he survived and probably got someone else to buy on the spot.

I am current a 17 Handicap and I noticed a MASSIVE difference in ball flight, distance, loft, speed and spin. I attribute most of that to the shafts and of course some of it to the head combo.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Yes. Not sure what the % is, but they definitely get commission on them.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

• 5 weeks later...

I went to a CC last week to retro fit a driver shaft - I recently got the PXG 0811x with a Tensei CK Pro Blue - after hitting it, I didn't like was launching too high, and spinning too much. 

My fitter told me he had played some mini tours, and seemed to be knowledgeable about the fitting process. (I had been fit twice before that at a local shop, once for irons, and once for an M1 driver). I had done some research beforehand and kinda had some ideas of what I wanted to hit, and I told him, which he obliged and then gave me similar shafts off those specs. 

Towards the end, it came down to 2 shafts - the Speeder evolution iv and the Speeder TR - the evolution I hit in a 3 wood shaft Stiff, and the TR in a normal length driver shaft but XS. The numbers were close, but I hit the Evo IV a bit better, but he put me in the TR and cut the length down to 44.5. He kinda pushed me into the TR when I liked the numbers the Evo was giving me- but it almost seemed like I didn't have an option in the end, and before I knew it he was printing out an order form. 

Looking at a place like ThePeoplesClubs I probably could have said about 100 bucks off the cost of the shaft - and I wish I would have done that - Especially because just to book the fitting it cost me $75. I will say that he waived the fitting fee of $125 or $130 or whatever it is though which was nice. 

My suggestion is, use the information you got and go someplace else to get the clubs- There are plenty of places to buy shafts, and club heads etc. Maybe you could get lucky and find some similar specs that are stock offerings - I know Srixon has quite a few, and PXG does too (although they are expensive from the beginning) 

Getting fit for me is always a fun experience as I can hit golf balls all day long. As for CC - I wouldn't go there for an iron fitting, wedge fitting, or really anything other than what I did, driver shaft only. I think I'll go back to my original fitter, or maybe try out TrueSpec.

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

I'll jump in and add my thought's and experiences here. First, I'd RUN from that CC store. That's not the way you should have been treated, and honestly, I would contact the corporate arm and let them know how things went for you. While they do want to make money, they also want repeat business and your experience is no way to get it. 

In terms of the clubs, I think you need to go with what you are most comfortable with. As golfers, we always are chasing the newest and best...the longest and straightest....but it certainly also comes down to the fact that we have to be comfortable with all the different aspects of the clubs (feel, look, cost, performance, etc.) And if one of those isn't right, it makes us want to look off to something else to make it better. While the new technology can certainly help improve your game, especially from 20 years ago, there are certainly guys out there playing with clubs from 20 years ago that are still scratch....because they're comfortable with the equipment and because they have a repeatable swing which they know what will happen when they swing. 

In my experience, the club head does make a difference, but the shaft is usually the biggest difference maker...especially in irons...and you obviously will hit these the most during the round. The shaft effects the ball flight, spin, and feel...among other things. I wouldn't skimp on the shafts in your irons. In woods, it certainly makes that difference as well, but often times not to warrant spending $400+ for a single shaft.

It might make sense to buy whichever woods/hybrids with a stock shaft, or at least a shaft that is included in the price which is close to the upcharged shaft he fit you into and see what you think from there. You can usually go grab a used shaft at a MUCH steeper discount than paying full boat, if you decide upgrading the shaft later on will make that big of a difference. Also, a lot of the shafts that are out there are just 'newer iterations' of years past and in reality don't make much of a difference at all. My CC fitter has told me that twice...which is why I'm still playing the Diamana Kai'li in my woods. It's a great shaft and provides everything any newer shaft I've tried has provided for my swing. 

Don't be afraid to look back on older iterations of irons/woods where you may be able to snag a bargain...because in my opinion and experience, they're performing pretty close to the same as the new, MUCH more expensive ones. 

Now....on buying and getting everything put together.....cost effectively....

Thankfully, my full bag fitting at Club Champion was not anywhere near that. My fitter wasn't pushy at all and gave me such a great experience that I went back 4 years later to do it again. 

Both times, I put together the sets by sourcing all of the items myself...some of them were from Golf Forums, some from my local golf shop, and then other places as well. 

But both times I took my build sheet and had a great in South Carolina build my sets for me. He's a well known builder and his work is flawless. I'd recommend him every single day of the year. But the best part.... he's ridiculously affordable! The set build from CC was quoted around $4k and the whole set cost me about $1700 total. Now, I did source pieces differently and if you don't want to do that, Ken can quote you on all of that as well. But he takes your CC sheet and specs the clubs exactly...and he spines them all as well, which there is always a discussion back and forth on whether it's a benefit, but he does it to every single club he puts together. 

If you have questions on any of these, feel free to send me a PM. I hate to see people getting taken advantage of, or at least pushed, and your experience is really unfortunate to hear...because mine, and many others I have talked to, have been so darn good from CC! 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

CC is a rip off....end of story.

Go see your local Pro for shaft stiffness I'm guessing "R" if maybe a tip trim modification. (You can do this at PGA super Store if you have one near. Good folks with all types of reasonable priced gear). Put some game improvement heads on there by anyone of the OEM club makers. Couple rescue clubs, nice putter with proper LIE/Loft. That is real easy to do, watch youtube, cost 12.00 for laser and sticky back mirror tape.

I would concentrate on trying different grip sizes, standard, mid and Jumbo with 1,2 or 3 wraps of tape. Us older players have a sweet spot so our hands don't get sore.

You need $7500.00 clubs like I need a bicycle golf cart. $1500.00 should get you clubs, bag, 5 dozen balls, driver, shoes and 2 drinks at the 19th.

I see several players like you each year and, the "cheap stuff" improves their game like the over price clubs.

• 11 months later...

Tour pros only see a 5-6 yard improvement with exotic shafts. There is no reason to expect more than that so is that worth 2500 in upcharges? If not a similar stock shaft with same pickpoint stiffness and weight should be within 1-2 of the more expensive shafts. If you decide to go with the PXG irons I would do a free fitting with them before ordering they will fit you to stock shafts and show you the difference on trackman on my driver I had a 3yd improvement for a 300 upcharge. So I went with the similar stock shaft. If you are a veteran that give a nice heros discount and steelfiber and Accra shafts are included at the stock price. Just my 2 cents 

JRamm,
RUN!! But definitely go back and Get YOUR Data! Im a player over 50 and a 5.3 Indx, and NOBODY over 50 with a 15+Hcp will EVER benefit enough to warrant spending $7K+ on a bag, unless of course your simply that liquid to throw that much cabbage away.
No $1K driver or $4K irons will hit all FWs, just like no $1K putter can make all your putts.
Invest in redeveloping a Consistent Swing for you, go get a solid bag full of tools that You can play, and go have FUN while you compete against your card!!

Current Bag....

Titleist 913 D3 8.5* Stiff

Mizuno F60 4FW

Titleist 818 3Hyb XS

Honma TW747 4Hyb XS

Mizuno MP32s, 5-PW, TTDGS100

Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 Wedges

TA Impact #2